Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2006, 09:35 PM   #1
Ultra Marine
The Magister

I'm in Dragons Eye. Insane. Party is paladin, Fighter later to mage, gnome F/C, F(3)/Druid, Bard, FMT. Same party I posted earlier. Going very well.

I plan to use the FMT to backstab. So mirrors, stone skin and invisibility in important. Yeahhh! The sneak behind enemy! Backstab him! Turn invisible and run and repeat.

When the fighter becomes a mage, I would have 3 mage classes, ie, the f9/m, bard, FMT. Question is, how to distribute the spells? Are there enough important spells like mirros, stone skin, tensors to go around?

(btw, My bard is getting higher spells level faster than she can find spells. I could imagine playing HoF where mages run around with empty slots of spells.)
Ultra Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 10:39 PM   #2
Aerich
Lord Ao

There is generally at least two of every spell (maybe the lvl 8 and 9 spells excepted), although often the second is found in HoW.

Spell access is why role delineation is so critical with more than two arcane casters. What functions do you see each character performing in the party? If you aren't going to send your bard into melee combat on a regular basis (which I wouldn't recommend), then don't give it spells that are most effective if used by a melee mage (e.g. Vampiric Touch, Color Spray, Cone of Cold, Blur, Stoneskin, Tenser's)

I see your party as having two mages potentially quite capable at melee or range, and one buffer/backup caster. Because the F/M/T will gain mage levels so slowly, I'd be inclined to make it primarily a ranged terror instead of a melee fighter, but that's just me. You and only you decides how you play. IMO, The bard is best used as a caster of buffs that are not specific to itself. I would include summons in that category, but spread them around a little (look for summons that gain power or numbers based on the caster's level, like Summon Shadow and the Shadow monster spells). The bard also has an "emergency" function, such that it should have a damage spell or two that can turn the tide of a fight - I'm thinking specifically of Chromatic Orb and Acid Arrow here.

Of the four spells you mentioned, the bard should NOT have tensors and stoneskin - save those for your melee mages. Generally speaking, I'd give the bard party-buff spells only, with maybe one damage spell per level (two at most). The buff spells should be ones that can be cast on others - e.g. Strength, Protection from Normal Missiles, Emotion: Hope; not self-buff spells like Stoneskin.

The bard should learn damage spells with a purpose other than just causing damage: e.g. Chromatic Orb for stunning, Magic Missile for bringing down enemy Mirror Images or disruption, Acid Arrow for disruption, maybe Icelance. Mordenkainen's Force Missiles are an exception and should be taken by the bard because the spell is severely level-dependent and will be much more effective cast by a fast-levelling bard instead of a F/M/T. All casters should have Mirror Image, even the bard, as it is potentially the best (and most cost-effective) self-protection spell and is well-suited to emergency situations (e.g. party's tactical formation is dispersed and bard is targeted).
Old 01-13-2006, 04:37 AM   #3
Ultra Marine
The Magister

I see your point.
Bard = nonself buff + lvl critical spells

dc F/M = self buff + short range spells

The FMT has got 29% kills. Highest in the party. I plan to use her as an assassin. Currently she has mirrors and invisibility. Stone skin is just perfect but I don't recall finding 2. Or is there only 1?
Ultra Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 09:24 AM   #4
ister
Drow Warrior

Big spoilers on scroll counts and locations
Stoneskins: One in the Hand. One in ToTLM. That's it.

Mirror Image: Orrick has 3 if you buy one before each inventory change. There is one in DE and one in HOW

Blur: Orrick has one, and there is one in HOW

Invisibility: One in Vale of Shadows, one in HOW.

Tenser's: One in LLD, 2 in TOTLM

I think you ought to look more at improved invisibility rather than invisibility as your uber backstab spell. As far as I know there is only ONE copy of that spell. It allows you to backstab, then move away from the target, while still invisible and backstab again. It also prevents you from being targetted by spells. It's a great spell, particularly for your FMT. Of course you can always have the bard cast it on the FMT, so it's not as critical that you give it to the right caster.

On Aerich's points, Orrick has 3 Chromatic orbs and 3 acid arrows, so you should be able to give those to everyone. He also has 3 color sprays (which I rarely use, but which is obviously much better on Insane than on my usual hard). As far as I know there is only 1 copy of Vampiric Touch. There are two cone of cold scrolls, but one is in HOW. Same for Force Missiles and all the shadow monster spells.

Aerich, I think you mean "Shades" as a spell that works better with level, not "Summon Shadows". For "Summon Shadows" only the duration improves with level.
\" Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.\"<br />JFK
ister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 12:28 PM   #5
Aerich
Lord Ao

Agreed with ister on Improved Invisibility as the better spell - if the bard casts it, it will last longer, if the F/M/T casts it, the tank isn't dependant on anyone else.

Summon Shadows says in the description that you get one for every three levels - this is probably wrong, though, as it should technically max out at lvl 18 and I haven't noticed that it does. Shadows are really good against cold-using creatures (winter wolves and frost salamanders) - otherwise, use Shades. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-13-2006, 12:53 PM   #6
ister
Drow Warrior

I saw an FAQ that asserts the it's always 3 shadows. This pretty much matches my experience, although it's highly likely that I've always used the spell at level 9-11 when I should get 3 anyway.

You're right about the duration-that's a great reason to give improved invisibility to the bard.
\" Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.\"<br />JFK
ister is offline   Reply With Quote