Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should Van Tuong be hanged?
Yes he should be hanged 15 41.67%
No he shouldnt 21 58.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-29-2005, 03:12 AM   #71
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Orbost:
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Degrader:
Don't change the issue Orbost. A kid he may be, but he broke the law. He must be punished.
I'm not changing the issue. Dundee has come to the defense of his country's stance on punishing drugs offenders. I'm pointing out the hypocrisy of him doing so.

Yes, he is a kid. Yes, he broke the law. Yes, he must be punished. The issue is whether the punishment is appropriate given the crime. I would argue not. You clearly have a different opinion. That's fine - we're entitled to our own opinions.
[/QUOTE]That's not the issue though, I think alot of those here agree that killing him is not a fair punishment, the fact is, he knew the punishement and went ahead with it, therefore, if its a slap on the wrist and a $20 fine, or to be hanged, no matter what, he deserves it
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 07:24 AM   #72
shadowhound
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Do the crime, suffer the punishment. Simple as that.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:55 AM   #73
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Kakero:
Let me see now, someone commits a crime. He goes to jail. He gets accomodation, food, drinks, toilet etc at the expense of tax payer money while learning his so-called lesson there. WOW! this is awesome! might as well I go do a crime and get thrown in jail and having all my needs taking care off instead of working my ass off for some money sucking grey suit BOD. Nice...
First of all, I don't think Singapore jails are fun places to be. Secondly, depending on the country, the death sentence (also paid by the tax-payer) is often more expensive then life in prison.
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 10:55 AM   #74
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Yeah, real simple, until someone makes it against the law to eat, or use the bathroom, or be black-skinned, or be Christian, etc. etc. Which is the whole point, isn't it?

I mean, if we were to pass a law making picking your nose and farting punishable by death, then you'd be well on notice that you can't do those things. But, that does not mean you live in a "just" society.

So many of you keep answering this question with the same basic reply: "It's the law." Well, no duh. The whole question is should it be?

[ 11-29-2005, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]
Old 11-29-2005, 11:25 AM   #75
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Well, it's a questionable law at the very least, condemned by almost every other nation.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:59 PM   #76
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Yeah, real simple, until someone makes it against the law to eat, or use the bathroom, or be black-skinned, or be Christian, etc. etc. Which is the whole point, isn't it?

I mean, if we were to pass a law making picking your nose and farting punishable by death, then you'd be well on notice that you can't do those things. But, that does not mean you live in a "just" society.

So many of you keep answering this question with the same basic reply: "It's the law." Well, no duh. The whole question is should it be?
No, I don't think the punishment fits the crime, but the fact remains that death is the penalty for smuggling drugs, and he was well aware of that
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 09:58 PM   #77
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Just got back from duty. Time for my replies.

~~~~ ~~~~

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
quote:
from Dundee Slaytern
If I entered Saudi Arabia knowingly that my hands will be lopped off for stealing, and still steal anyway, then I was a damned fool for deciding to steal in the first place.
Well, i don't think there are thieves anywhere, who wake up one morning and decide to go to Saudi Arabia to steal a bread, or whatever. But it's a little different if you're a native and are among those hundreds of thousands who live in poverty, below any human decency. First the government keeps them poor, and then when they try to steal something to feed their families, they cut off their hands, or worse. Don't you see anything wrong in this picture ?[/QUOTE]While it may seem wrong to many, I must emphasise that there should be a line between disagreeing with another country's policy, and choosing to be aggressive towards said country just because you do not agree with its' policies.

If anything, hostilities tend to make the target belligerent. Not that I am implying that our government will become so, since this is hardly the first time we have been accused of being draconic barbarians. So the general tendency when other people hue and cry is to roll our eyes and mutter, "Not again..."

The Australian government as a whole has been very gentlemanly about this whole issue, and our government appreciates that. The same cannot be said of the Australian media though... but hey, ratings mean everything right?

Quote:
quote:
Not approving of another country's law is one thing, everybody has their own opinions, but expecting said country to disregard their own laws just because they do not coincide with another country's laws is also not in good taste, in my personal opinion.
But we can at least try to make them change their laws, threaten with sanctions if they don't adjust. It's not that your law is waterproof or anything. How many people fell victim to your law, because someone unknown to them hid drugs in their suitcases just before getting on a plane ?[/QUOTE]This is the part I strongly disagree with. Only God, should he/she/it exist, can truly judge which country is right or wrong. Different cultures, different set of moral values and ethics. It is only those who disagree with us who will say that our laws are wrong.

I hate rap, and often fantasise about nuking rap artistes, but hey, it is just my opinion on what is good or bad. If you do not like what you see in your country, just emigrate.

~~~~ ~~~~

Quote:
Originally posted by Orbost:
Dundee, you make out as though he is some drug-trafficking criminal mastermind. He's not - he's just a dumb, gullible kid, who was given an opportunity to make some easy money to help out his brother. He is a mule,a donkey, an ass. The real criminal is those who source the drugs and then pay stupid kids to smuggle it for them.

And while you defend your country's stance on drugs, would you also care to defend your country's close ties with the military junta in Burma where most of S'pore's heroin trade comes from? Why is that when the rest of the world ostracises this wholly illegal regime for their dire human rights, repression of the media and democracy movements, and monster drugs trade, Singapore supports it?

Do you not see the hypocrisy in happily hanging the idiots who smuggle a few grams of heroin, while at the same time buddying up to the major producer of heroin in your region?
I have never implied that he was a criminal mastermind. I have just simply stated that he chose his path to take, and now he must reap what he had decided to sow.

I do not know from what evidence do you derive your opinion that we are bosom buddies with Myammar, but we are not. Yes, we are neighbours in the South-East Asia(SEA) region, but I would hardly describe our relations as "close ties". I would also like to see references on how you came about your statement on the heroin trade in Singapore. Additionally, I would wholly appreciate it if you explain how Singapore supports Myammar's "dire human rights, repression of the media and democracy movements, and monster drugs trade".

I hope your sources are from actual documents and not media hysteria.

By the way, it does not matter what your role is in the drug trafficking trade is. You smuggle the drugs, you swing.

~~~~ ~~~~

[ 11-29-2005, 09:59 PM: Message edited by: Dundee Slaytern ]
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 04:13 AM   #78
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Allow me to voice another perspective. I'm coming from the viewpoint of a citizen.
What are laws for? Ultimately, the protection of a country's citizens, to regulate the behaviour of society by stating what is unacceptable behaviour.
Do I agree with some of our laws? No, I don't. Am I glad the law (taken as a whole) are what they are? Yes I am.
Singapore is one of the safest countries in the world. I feel safe walking home at 3 am in the morning without fear of being mugged or robbed. Do we have crime? Yes, some of them quite sensational. Do I feel safe at home? Very.
I would also like to point out that Van Tuong was treated no differently then a Singaporean. As a Singaporean, why should the law treat a foreigner any different? Would you expect your country's judiciary to treat foreigners any differently from your own citizens?
Old 11-30-2005, 05:44 AM   #79
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Hayashi:

Singapore is one of the safest countries in the world. I feel safe walking home at 3 am in the morning without fear of being mugged or robbed. Do we have crime? Yes, some of them quite sensational. Do I feel safe at home? Very.
I feel the same safety myself, yet I live in a country without the death penalty and in which certain drugs are actually legal and others are tolerated. And I'm also very happy with our laws as they are now.
So apparently it's more of a difference in mentality and does it work differently on a psychological level, rather than that it points out an actual direct connection between strictness of punishments and feelings of safety.

Also, would you really feel less safe if life sentences were given out instead of death penalties for drug trafficking? Just wondering.

[ 11-30-2005, 06:44 AM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Grojlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 08:31 AM   #80
burnzey boi
Red Wizard of Thay

So how come this person gets hanged early for smuggling drugs, yet however the mastermin that killed people in dangerous bomb blasts has yet to be decided? And how they let off Mechelle because she was muslim?

(Main)Undead Mage - 70, Orc Warrior - 70, Blood Elf Paladin - 70, Orc Shaman - 70, Troll Rogue - 70,
Orc Hunter - 65, UD Warlock 61, BE Priest 60, Tauren Drood - 60
OM NOM NOM NOM
burnzey boi is offline   Reply With Quote