Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2006, 04:55 PM   #1
bubbe
Zhentarim Guard

For the first time i'm on my way through IWD1 and I did encounter a troll, I attack and when the troll is "nearly dead" he seems to lay down and sleep or something, while my characters keep attacking and then the troll get up and is only "badly wounded". I can't kill kill him.

Is this normal or is it a bug? :S
Old 12-01-2006, 06:19 PM   #2
ZFR
Legion Symbol

It's normal and this is where the manual helps.

After the troll lies down you need fire or acid to kill it. If you are at dragon eye and haven't found a fire sword till now then your best bet are spells (melf's acid arrow, burning hands, fireball, flame arrow and others...)

There are actually other ways... but those are bugs actually. The only proper way to kill it is fire, acid (or chunk it to pieces before it lies down, though at this stage of game you probably don't have fighters strong enough to do this). All other ways are bugs (in the sense they were not intended by the designers.)
Old 12-01-2006, 06:28 PM   #3
bubbe
Zhentarim Guard

Okey!

About the manual, it's on the cd and I really hate reading a manuel via the computer. I want a book in my hand. :| but, okey I will read the manual from now on.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:00 PM   #4
Black Swan Gauntlet
The Magister

There are many ways to kill trolls, and none of them are bugs. The main way is to use fire or acid once they lay down. (Hint, Agannazar's Scorcher is good for this, as are the flaming oils you got on level 1.)

Alternatively, inflicting other conditions on the troll may help as well: paralysis will prevent them from laying down, confusion will do this also. Phasing a troll will cause them to take damage while they lie down, killing them.

There's more than one way to 'properly' skin a troll.
Black Swan Gauntlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 02:20 AM   #5
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Swan Gauntlet:

Alternatively, inflicting other conditions on the troll may help as well: paralysis will prevent them from laying down, confusion will do this also. Phasing a troll will cause them to take damage while they lie down, killing them.

Paralysis, web, confusion... are all bugs. They were not intended so by the designers and the only reason they allow a troll to die without fire or acid is because the game engine prevents createrures under such conditions to lie down.
I think it was mentioned at Interplay.

Think of it also logically: The reason you need fire or acid to kill a troll is because the troll's body regenerates otherwise. So how can confusion (which a state of the mind) cause the body to lose its regenerative abilities? It just doesn't make sense.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:22 PM   #6
Black Swan Gauntlet
The Magister

In any case, they work, and should not be overlooked when trolls show up.

Ah, the power of cheese.
Black Swan Gauntlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 03:11 PM   #7
Blue Dragon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

A troll isn't a bug,and when they lie down you have to kill them with acid or fire.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:53 PM   #8
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

I usually let them group, than spam Fireballs, party's health be damned.

It works. Trust me
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:01 PM   #9
Roboghost
Manshoon

Confusion could be legit way to nuke a troll...

You could think of it as short circuiting the entire body or not allowing the troll to go into a state of Zen to heal during its confused moments. I love to blast in a troll to chunks when it’s confused. An idea occurred to me: have a bard [or mage - lasts longer with a bard though] cast Confusion (after casting Curse or some other save reduction spells on the trolls) and then you can terminate each troll while the spell lasts.

Anyway, you can also Chromatic Orb or Web the trolls or otherwise immobilize them and also do them in.
Roboghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:03 PM   #10
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Okay, webbing a troll makes no sense at all. How are sticky strands as thick as my forearm going to stop the innate ability of regeneration that occurs *under*/ *inside* the skin?
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote