Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 01-24-2006, 05:27 PM   #1
Seraph
Quintesson

I'm currently playing a HOF party, and I just reached Dorns Deep and I'm having a problem. I've hit a pair of greater mummies along with the lich that respawns if you take to long, and I can't get past them. I can kill the lich quickly, and w/out any problems, but the mummies cast a spell that I think is symbol hopelessness. I can't figure out how to prevent it from effecting my characters, does anyone have any tips. All I really need is a good way to stop my characters from being frozen by the spell.

My party:
Level 13 Fighter
Level 12 Paladin
Level 11/10 Ranger/Cleric
Level 10/12 Figher/Druid
Level 11/13 Mage/Thief
Level 16 Bard
So I have a pretty diverse selection of spells.

Any tips?
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 05:37 PM   #2
ister
Drow Warrior

Doesn't free action work?
\" Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.\"<br />JFK
ister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 05:39 PM   #3
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Chaotic Commands, and no, Free Action does not work.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 06:18 PM   #4
Legolas
Jack Burton

Alternatively, keep most of your party back so they can dispel the effects, or move on to kill the mummies or to stop the lich from respawning again.
It'll be unpleasant for your chosen lightning-rod, but then adventuring always has been nasty business.

Say NO to the Trouser Tyranny!
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 06:42 PM   #5
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

Other than Chaotic Commands, if your Bard has access to Mind Blank then the Bard is safe for a long time. Magic Resistance, the 5th-level cleric spell, will also help. The one spell you really need is Impervious Sanctity of Mind.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 09:09 PM   #6
Aerich
Lord Ao

The party doesn't have many options for protection - a lvl 10 cleric can protect what, two characters with Chaotic Command?

You should have plenty of spells that increase your saving throws - with Hope, Recitation, and Prayer, you get a total of +5. Other than that, lead with summons (fire elementals are best) and use multiple caster-disruption spells.

Edit: and your bard should be singing the luck song, not war chant - it gives a further +3 to saves.

[ 01-24-2006, 09:26 PM: Message edited by: Aerich ]
Old 01-25-2006, 01:41 PM   #7
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

If you can find them, Potions of Magic Shielding give a +20 [img]graemlins/saywhat.gif[/img] to your saving throws. The description says "all saving throws are made automatically".

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 08:53 PM   #8
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Potion of Magic Sheilding? Cheese 'n Crackers! A *real* adventurer would send someone forward to play "Heratio at the Bridge"

While the other characters run like hell past the lich and mummies.
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 09:56 PM   #9
Aerich
Lord Ao

Bah! A true adventuring company destroys all evil undead, it doesn't sprint past them. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I don't think you have any potions of magic shielding by then anyway.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:42 PM   #10
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

you could... via... *gasp* Dalekeeper!

But that would be cheating... which is bad. So don't do it :@
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote