Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2006, 05:18 PM   #11
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Marine:
Off topic ....

I could put a LVL9 Fighter then dual to mage. Lets say my other fighters reach level 16. The F(9)>Mage(x) is going to have a really bad tachco compared to the fighters -- this is going to be a disadvantage right?
The dual-classed F>M will have a lower THAC0 than the single-classed guys, but it won't be "really bad" and isn't much of a disadvantage. You'd still have quite a powerful character on your hands there.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:39 PM   #12
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

I never mess with dual-classing; if I need to "double up" then I multi-class. Personal preference, I suppose. [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 07:28 PM   #13
Aerich
Lord Ao

I'm more or less in the same boat as Azred, although I do make an exception for a high-level F/M - the HP differential is substantial comparing the dualclass to the multiclass.

@ Ultra Marine - I'd prefer the dc F/C and mc F/D if only because rolling up a dc F/D is ridiculous; I've always lost patience with it. I don't think there's a lot of in-game difference between the two choices. The thaco differential based on class levels is interesting - the advantages of where you dual (or if you dual) are dependent on what level you anticipate being at the end of the game. Do you want a F[9]/Cl[30] or a F[20]/Cl[20], to pick an example out of a hat? (I'm not sure the levels correspond in that way)

As I now play on higher difficulty levels, it's not worth it to me to dual lower than 13 probably, and I tend to prefer to go with multiclasses instead. However, if ending up with approximately 30 levels, a dual class can be more powerful. Multiclasses are more powerful at low and very high levels, dual classes are stronger in the middle levels (once they regain their first class).
Old 01-06-2006, 07:50 PM   #14
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

I just think with a weapon mastery that works the right way, it really tips the scales towards the dualclassers, even if your THAC0 is better with a multiclasser.

Personally, I prefer multiclassed characters in Baldur's Gate 2 though, since they nerf weapon mastery and have High Level Abilities (and multiclassers get many more options).

If you want an archer, ** and *** aren't much different, and I'll multiclass an archer (Elf F/M, F/T, or F/M/T).

[ 01-06-2006, 07:54 PM: Message edited by: krunchyfrogg ]
Old 01-07-2006, 02:50 AM   #15
Ultra Marine
The Magister

Methinks i got misunderstood guys. What I mean about the F(9)>Mage(x) thaco being bad is that when I compare F(9)>Mage(18) vs a F(9)>Cle(18) there is a substantial difference in their thaco. Yeah, the f>M will make up his thaco with tensors/mirrors/sk but he is going to run out of tensors whereas the F>C don't need tensors to keep up his tahco.

Point taken in the melee advantage comparing DC/MC clerics & Druids. Their thaco, hits, etc are the same with only difference in types of weapons.
I am more interested to know about the spell effectiveness when combined with melee which i don't understand. I've so far only used clerics' lvl5,6,7 for healing where as the druids lvl5,6,7 seem more effective.
Ultra Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 08:50 AM   #16
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

The THAC0 (without Tensers) is boosted significantly with grandmastery, and you will still hit most baddies.
Old 01-07-2006, 06:41 PM   #17
Aerich
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Marine:
I am more interested to know about the spell effectiveness when combined with melee which i don't understand. I've so far only used clerics' lvl5,6,7 for healing where as the druids lvl5,6,7 seem more effective.
Can you elaborate a little on what you're looking for? I did write a thumbnail guide to tanking in the "tactics for melee party thread", and I can expand on it if necessary. Tanking is as much about overall tactics as it is about any individual character.

There actually isn't a huge difference in Thaco between Fighter 9 (thaco 12) and Cleric 18 (thaco 10). Therefore, the F/M dual class at 9/18 is pretty much stuck at thaco 12, while the F/C is minorly better at high cleric levels. With appropriate spells, hitting the enemy shouldn't be a problem. Also, if you use missiles most of the time, you will get the dex bonus to hit, which can also offset your enemy's AC to an extent.

However, you don't want to spend all of your time in melee anyway, considering that the F/C and F/M duals are major spellcasting classes.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:05 PM   #18
Ultra Marine
The Magister

Yes. The other thread is more specific.

I tried out with a dc f9/c and a dc f7/d. Arrrrhhh. No entangles is hard enough in the orc cave. No healing means so much sleep required.

Back to the drawing board. I don't want to go around without druids for sure.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:32 AM   #19
Aerich
Lord Ao

That's why I always make one or the other (preferably both) multiclassed. A mc F/D and R/C (or F/C) have so many uses other than melee combat that I dislike to dc them - the dc really only helps their offensive melee capabilities, and all else (including HP) is reasonably similar except for the access to all of a character's abilities at various points of the game.

DC = increased melee power, MC = better versatility throughout the game
Old 01-09-2006, 02:01 AM   #20
Ultra Marine
The Magister

@Aerich
Agreed. But I think a lvl7 DC to something else roughly works to the same melee power as a MC. That's what I am trying to do here but the game is still hard without an early druid.

I'll try it again. This time I'll drop the bard and put in a druid. Then when my Fighters reach lvl7, dual to cleric/druid. Then drop the druid and put in a bard.