Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2003, 09:09 AM   #1
IronDragon
Elminster

Letter

O Lord our Father, our young patriots, idols of our hearts, go forth to battle-be Thou near them! With them, in spirit, we also go forth from the sweet peace of our beloved firesides to smite the foe. O Lord our God, help us to tear their soldiers to bloody shreds with our shells; help us to cover their smiling fields with the pale forms of their patriot dead; help us to drown the thunder of the guns with the shrieks of their wounded, writhing in pain; help us to lay waste their humble homes with a hurricane of fire; help us to wring the hearts of their unoffending widows with unavailing grief; help us to turn them out roofless with their little children to wander unfriended the wastes of their desolated land in rags and hunger and thirst, sports of the sun flames of summer and the icy winds of winter, broken in spirit, worn with travail, imploring Thee for the refuge of the grave and denied it-for our sakes who adore Thee, Lord, blast their hopes, blight their lives, protract their bitter pilgrimage, make heavy their steps, water their way with their tears, stain the white snow with the blood of their wounded feet! We ask it, in the spirit of love, of Him Who is the Source of Love, and Who is ever-faithful refuge and friend of all that are sore beset and seek His aid with humble and contrite hearts. Amen.

The War Prayer
Mark Twain
Old 03-20-2003, 10:05 AM   #2
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Mark Twain wasn't much of a praying man, but he was great with satire.
Old 03-20-2003, 10:12 AM   #3
Stratos
Vampire

Amen!

[ 03-20-2003, 10:12 AM: Message edited by: Stratos ]
Old 03-20-2003, 12:58 PM   #4
norompanlasolas

yep, it makes me wonder when for example bush says "god bless america" and all that pseudo-religious rethoric. do they really believe it??? so god has a preference now? its like when people pray so that their football team wins, but of course fans from the rival team do the same... some actually believe that he would take sides. the same is for this war, if he blesses and protects the americans, is he killing irakis? does god take sides? this is an honest question because for the life of me, it is one mindset that i cannot grasp. its so far out from my life perspective and reality (and people i live with) that it is as alien to me as saddams views... well, maybe not thar much

so, what is gods nationality then?!!!
Old 03-20-2003, 01:03 PM   #5
Thoran
Galvatron

Hehe... Mark Twain was a very funny guy.
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 06:36 PM   #6
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by norompanlasolas:
yep, it makes me wonder when for example bush says "god bless america" and all that pseudo-religious rethoric. do they really believe it??? so god has a preference now? its like when people pray so that their football team wins, but of course fans from the rival team do the same... some actually believe that he would take sides. the same is for this war, if he blesses and protects the americans, is he killing irakis? does god take sides? this is an honest question because for the life of me, it is one mindset that i cannot grasp. its so far out from my life perspective and reality (and people i live with) that it is as alien to me as saddams views... well, maybe not thar much

so, what is gods nationality then?!!!
God has no nationality. We are all God's children.

"God Bless America", or a prayer for your favorite football team is a request Noro, not a demand of God. While we can ask for anything, God gives us what we need, not necessarily what we want.

You asked an honest question, and I answered it honestly, but I won't debate the issue because religious debates go nowhere. Some here may take you up on it if you choose, but I won't. I've answered your question to the best of my ability, but I won't try to convert you.

[ 03-20-2003, 07:01 PM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 03-20-2003, 09:00 PM   #7
The.Relic
Red Dragon

Norompanlasolas, an honest question and one that has been asked throughout the ages of humankind regarding religious beliefs and practices in relation to those of another.
In respect to America, and our governments official stance regarding religion and its overwhelming support of evolution or some other theory that negates external involvement in shaping humankinds developement, I would have to say that in my opinion, statements like "God Bless America", are now primarily, and I reiterate "primarily", not "entirely", rhetoric and used as a means to bolster and console the vast necessary "voting constituents" of our nation who still hold religious views. Please do not mistake this remark as an attempt to promote evolution over religion, or vice-versa.
As far as "God taking sides", unfortunately far too many wars have been faught off and on the battlefield throughout history with either one or the other, and even both sides or all parties involved believing that God in his/her/its particular manifestation based on their beliefs was on their side. And unfortunately this is one of the reasons why extreme religious zealots can be so uttery dangerous to the wellbeing of humankind. I'm actually glad that you can't fathom the depths of their beliefs, sometimes not comprehending really is a blessing.
The.Relic is offline   Reply With Quote