Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2001, 02:35 PM   #21
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Has anyone been suspended just curious.

1drgat1
Old 11-28-2001, 05:36 PM   #22
jabidas
Silver Dragon

I think most people agree with the mods, to be frank I do and I think most of the community supports them about any decisions they make regarding banning or suspending.

Its a harsh thing to have to do Im sure, and I somewhat doubt its an easy decision to make but its for the good of the group. Attacking the people who run this place for the enjoyment of all is really in my simple and humble opinion stupid not to mention blind.

Im not going to drag this post out except to say a little respect for the people who do all the work here please.

Thank you.
Old 11-28-2001, 06:12 PM   #23
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

well he is only banned temporarily... and not permament... still its sad to say these things

Catch me if you can..
Old 11-29-2001, 03:39 AM   #24
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Ahh... I understand. It also has this impact on the mods too... banning someone isn't a good thing... and never does feel right... but it must be done for the greater good...

religion... crap [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2001, 04:28 AM   #25
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Question: Do all members get at least one warning before they are banned? For i know of several members that 'claim' to banned just for complaining about ironworks policy. I think everyone should keep in mind however that this is Z's board, and that we are just guests. Lets try to behave like that.
Old 11-29-2001, 04:42 AM   #26
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Mouse:
I have no idea of what lead to any recent bannings - nor do I need to. Sometimes I wonder why Z keeps this place going when he gets flak over his decisions.

For those that are interested, here is a fairly good statement of what private forums are all about and the relationship between forum owners and forum members. I don't claim that it exactly sums up Ziroc's attitude, but have a read and ponder on it before hassling him.

I particularly like these passages, Mouse:

Watchdogs are moderators of this forum. They are kind folks who volunteer their free time to help me maintain this forum and keep it clean of abuse. Note the emphasis on "volunteer" and "free time." Forum moderating is always hard work, and it's impossible to please everyone given the cultural and social diversity of this forum, so please realize that before you rant about how Watchdogs lock/delete your threads "by mistake." We ALL make mistakes: it's a matter of HOW you tell others about them that makes all the difference. Insults and slanders only make matters worse.

In order to maintain the civil atmosphere and keep things reasonably organized, Watchdogs will move, lock, or delete threads that do not belong in these forums. These include personally abusive, grotesquely off-topic and desperately surreal threads. This is not a democracy. This is a semi-benevolent dictatorship. Behave."

It's an excellent article, and I'm glad you posted the link to it.

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 11-29-2001, 04:47 AM   #27
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer128:
Question: Do all members get at least one warning before they are banned? For i know of several members that 'claim' to banned just for complaining about ironworks policy. I think everyone should keep in mind however that this is Z's board, and that we are just guests. Lets try to behave like that.

There's an old Arabic saying that goes something like "Piss wherever you wish in your own house, but enter another man's house and you'd better not even spit on the floor." This is Ziroc's house that he has opened to us. If you spit on his floor, expect certain consequences to happen. They don't have to be logical. You don't have to agree with them. But they WILL happen.

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 11-29-2001, 05:52 AM   #28
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Well, no one is god, and no one is perfect. Nor posters nor mods.

All do the best they can and sometimes things that arenīt pleasnt shows up.

Unfortunately thís question got a person I liked banned.

On the other hand I donīt take part in any of this cause I donīt know the full story, though I trust in the mods and Z to do what they think and judge the best for the situation.

I also see the points in the argument, but Iīm not fully interested in it either, so I can only say this..

Do as good job you as you can, ie keep working. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Iīm a lurker of my own actions and by current events both on forum and RL, and another forum that I try and put an effort into.

If this person likes to com back, he should talk with Ziroc, and I hope that iroc and this person can talk it out, if not. Tough luck..

I respect the mods here and Ziroc, and thats all I gonna say, even if I have private thoughts and disagreement with the actions, but I donīt voice them unless I have to.

Back to lurking, I just wanted to say my opinion since I have seen and heard things around..

Donīt eat the yellow snow
Old 11-29-2001, 09:59 AM   #29
Donut
Jack Burton

quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
Sorry for being stupid, but who were banned?
I must have missed it!

AzureWolf has been suspended and I believe that Link has been banned indefinitely.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 11-29-2001, 11:27 AM   #30
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
Just to let a few people know why I suspended Azure's account, it was for this comment:

--------
Amber are you saying that you haven't noticed that some of Yoricks posts have been down right insulting to other people? That IMO is BS. You cant have looked through this forum without noticing it at least once, I mean there was a thread about it in GD for godsakes. I know he isn't the only one who does this but the point that anti-war people get publicly denounced for doing the same thing that Yorick does, whos posts get conveniently overlooked by the same moderators etc who tell the anti-war people that if they dont settle down and stop it they will be banned. It is a double standard pure and simple.
--------

I (and the Mods) are sick of being accused of stuff that is not true.. as someone else said:

"I am incensed at Azurewolf's insinuation, once again, that the Mods and I do not play fair. This is ridiculous, and as far as I'm concerned, he's way out of line. It gets to be tiring having to always defend every single little move we make"

His account is only suspended for 2 weeks, not banned forever.. I like him, but won't stand for those insinuations--which are not true.

Also, it's always nice to see a certain other forum bash me for this.. ah well.. as we all know, you can't please everyone.

Azure is a good mate of mine and I was very disappointed in what he said as this was the first I heard from him on this. I thought I deserved to hear it from him personally, rather than reading about it. Here was my response.

We have been accused of a lack of impartiality since this forum opened, especially with respect to Yorick. Yorick and others (from both sides) were reprimanded for their actions on this forum, especially with the Brits thread. Would you like us to publicly lash Yorick? Is a public lynching and humiliation of another poster what people want? I am getting REALLY annoyed at this constant BS about double-standard. I have had ONE PERSON contact me and complain about how this forum has been moderated. I think I'm a pretty fair person, I think Ziroc's a pretty fair person, and all this BS about double-standard is quite insulting to us, to be honest. We have had ONE banning in this forum since its inception and I think as admins we have bent over backwards to accomodate everyone's views.

Azure probably didn't realize that what he said was an attack on our integrity. Believe me when I say that the worst part of this job is disciplining people who should know better.