Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 06-01-2001, 08:04 PM   #1
agent199
Elite Waterdeep Guard

hi

i just wanted to ask a newbie question.

my characters are getting ready to advance to level 2.

when distributing my new attribute points, should i be placing them into attributes that are needed for whatever role i choose for those characters.

ie) when levelling my whiskah up to level 2, and i want him to be a samauri eventually, i should be placing my new attribute points on those attributes needed to ascend to samauri.

i just wanted to be sure i have the right idea about levelling characters in this game.

thanks in advance.

p.s. i posted this a 2nd time because i think i forgot the subject line.

agent199
agent199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2001, 08:07 PM   #2
WizardMen
The Magister

I think that it would be best to get at least 16 Itellegence so that skills come faster. Also get what is needes for the role that you are now. Wait a while untill you change to a Samurai. Like when the character that will be changing gets to lv 10 or so. Then change

()xxxxx{}:::::::::::::::>
WizardMen

[This message has been edited by WizardMen (edited 06-01-2001).]
WizardMen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2001, 08:20 PM   #3
agent199
Elite Waterdeep Guard

hmmmm

i think maybe thats my problem. if the characters are already at their current roles, what could they need.

ie)if my lizzord is a warrior, and strength is the common needed attribute for fighters, i should pump more points into strength?

and then of course i would also put more into the intelligence attribute as mentioned in the previous reply.

is that what you mean?

agent199
Old 06-01-2001, 08:33 PM   #4
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Here's what the various attributes influence:

Strength: Determines how heavy a weapon you may use, and how much you can carry, based on your race. Characters with STR>15 can deal extra bonus damage with certain weapons. Strength also influences forcing locks on doors and treaure chests.

Intellect: Directly influences how many skill points you get. The formula is: INT/4, and round down to the integer. EX: a character with 13 INT will get 13/4=3.25 => 3 skill points when s/he levels up. It also affects how well Stone and Sun spells may be cast, and for picking traps and locks, and pickpocketing.

Spirituality: Directly affects the amount of Mana you receive for each mana pool. Also has an effect upon how well Spirit and Vine magic may be cast.

Dexterity: directly influences your Hit statistic, and directly affects Traps & Locks and Pickpocket ability.

Agility: Influences your Parry skill, and your speed rating. Characters with higher Agility can attack more often than those with lower agility, dependent on role and race.

Fortitude: Influences how many HP character will get (dependent on role and race), and the success of resurrection or rebirth in case of death. Also influences character resistance to certain conditions, such as disease.

Will: Affects magical resistances and the ability to overcome magical effects, and affects how potent a spellcaster's spells will be (in conjunction with the Sorcery stat). It also influences the ability to cast Moon and Fiend spells. Higher Wills mean better prices in stores, as well.

Presence determine how much attention the character will generate from others, either friend or foe. In combat, higher presence means the character will be attacked more often (although I've rarely seen this), except in Monk and Ninja (and Zenmaster roles), where Presence can be used to control the appearance.

Hope this helps!
-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2001, 08:36 PM   #5
WizardMen
The Magister

Yes.

If you have a warrior also look into Fortitude. I think Fortitude relates to how much Hp you get per Lv up.

I take back what i said in the 1st post...If you have a warrior change him whenever you want but if it is a Wizard or a Priest then wait till you have all of the spell you want then change. this goes for any character who has spells.
Hopefully this make since.

()xxxxx{}:::::::::::::::>
WizardMen

Old 06-01-2001, 08:38 PM   #6
agent199
Elite Waterdeep Guard

cool. thx for the help guys.

so it sounds like to me there is no right and wrong way of developing my characters.

so i could basically just pick whatever attribute points i would like based on my own preference for that specific character.

run with it and have fun.

agent199
Old 06-01-2001, 09:00 PM   #7
WizardMen
The Magister

Exactly!!!!
Old 06-01-2001, 09:07 PM   #8
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the board, agent199!!!

Check the Best Tips thread - there is a chart in there that tells you what attributes you need to be able to change to elite roles (think it is on page 3 near the bottom). That might also help you figure out how to distribute your attribute points!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2001, 11:35 PM   #9
Jafin
Symbol of Cyric

What I would do is, if you get more than one point per level, put one in intelligence up to 16 so you get the most skill points you can and any others you get into attributes that are required for the role you want to ascend to. If you only get one then I would put it into the stat needed for your new role.

-Jafin
Jafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2001, 12:05 AM   #10
agent199
Elite Waterdeep Guard

thanks again people.

might i ask where the intelligence 16 comes from?

or was that just something to stop accumulating the intelligence at, as the manual states on page 35 that anything over 15 in attributes as being exceptional?

so i guess i would assume that once you have the 'exceptional' attribute, you achieve the maximum benefit of that attribute?

hmm ... looks like this game is beauty in the details heheheheh

please excuse my newbiness

the last rpg i ever played was wizardry 1 on my old circle 'c' (apple IIe clone).

agent199