Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 05-17-2001, 10:56 PM   #1
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Since there's so many tech-related questions regarding the game, I thought it would be useful to have a thread related to them...an online "help center" so to speak. Anyone with tech knowledge, post here and help some of the others out! If you have a problem with your system configuration and getting the game to run, post here as well! Someone will be along and help you out, hopefully!

The Help Desk is now open for business!

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2001, 12:24 AM   #2
Tananda
Elminster

Ok, there is a question.
I have now W&W installed and DirectX 7. Should I wait with installation of DirectX 8 until the removing W&W? There were information that DirectX 8 prevent normal functioning of the game. Is it true?

------------------
Sincerely Yours,
Tanda
Tananda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2001, 12:28 AM   #3
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Tanda, it has been a problem with a lot of gaming setups. Most games are set to run with DirectX 6 or 6.1, and almost all of them will run with 7. There's little to be gained with installing 8, and a lot to be potentially lost. I'd hold off if I were you. Hopefully DirectX 9 will work out some of the "bugs" in 8.0a ...or maybe there'll be an 8.1 that will be better.

-Sazerac
Old 05-18-2001, 12:30 AM   #4
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

Great idea Saz,

I have a small one for you:

When ever I play the game in D3D 800 or 1024, all characters ident (main quest screen) become distorted, same with pause, item description. When I'm in town and go to a guild, movement becomes choppy and very slow.

Any idea on how I can solve this problem?

I'm running a PIII 833, 256M Ram, TNT2 M64 32Meg video card, SB16 PCI, Windows Me, DirectX 8 (same problem with DirectX 7), 20 Gig HD (15 Free), 1 Gig swap.

At least I can play the game in D3D 640x480 but it would be fun to play it at higher rez.

Thanks
Ryanamur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2001, 12:33 AM   #5
Tananda
Elminster

Saz,
Thank you very much for such a quick reply!
I'll wait with DirectX 8 until the right time comes.
Thanks again

------------------
Sincerely Yours,
Tanda
Tananda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2001, 01:14 AM   #6
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Ryanamur: it seems to be a problem particularly with the nVIDIA TNT2 card drivers. Do you have the latest drivers installed (the 6.50 drivers?) I would probably just recommend running it in 640 x 480 mode to get the clearest view...but you can try to upgrade your drivers and see if it works.

Being that you have the system you do (and now I'm envious...grrr! ) I doubt you have older drivers. Check anyway to see.

-Sazerac
Old 05-18-2001, 05:41 AM   #7
Savage
Elite Waterdeep Guard

i do not agree with Sazerac... but yes it is no problem with the tnt2 or geforce MX or whatever
it is only (as always) a driver problem
try out different driver... there are lots of nvidia but do not try the 6.50
it doesent worked for me and my TNT2 either (they are dusty anyway)

and there is no problem with directx version
it doesent matter which version u have installed
i ve 8.0a since it came out and never had problems with none of the games

but maybe it does matter which driver u installed in combination with dx
if u have dx8 u should install one of the newer detonators cause this are
the supported drivers:
Detonator4 7.xx, 11.xx or 12.xx

@Ryanamur
with ur system u should be able to run W&W at highest detail 1024x768 trouble-free
u can say definitively adios to the good old vga-times

my tip:
install directx8.0a and one of the 11.xx or 12.xx drivers and it most likely works

would be intersting to hear ur experiences...

driver database:
http://the-ctrl-alt-del.com/Drivers.htm

driver by comparison: (sorry its in german but im swiss)
http://www.mediaxplosion.de/hardware.../vergleich.htm
Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2001, 10:53 AM   #8
Snoekie
Dungeon Master

Great link Savage, thank you! I gave up already on trying to find a driver that gets my Geforce 2 MX working with the game (or is it the other way around?, hehe) but I´ll give that latest Beta driver a go.
Version 12.40 that is.
Maybe, just maybe the evil gods of drivers aren´t looking my way
I will let you know what happens.

Snoekie
Snoekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2001, 11:00 AM   #9
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

(two for each Savage and Sazerac for your prompt response)

I changed my video driver from the 6.50 to the 12.40 and it worked like a charm. I can now play the game in 1024xwhatever and it looks GREAT .

This is a great thread... it shouldn't fall in the cracks!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Ryanamur (edited 05-18-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Ryanamur (edited 05-18-2001).]
Ryanamur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2001, 11:07 AM   #10
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Thank you, Savage, for those links. That's what I wanted with this thread...a place where anyone with tech knowledge could help someone out if they were having gaming problems.

The DirectX 8.0a has been a BIG problem, and not just with W&W...check C|Net for related stories. There's a lot of users who are just plain frustrated with it; it's buggy and crashes a lot of applications that ran just fine under 7.0. We have had several gamers here who after getting rid of DirectX 8.0a (and they had to do it using the FDISK/REFORMAT/REINSTALL thing), the game ran just fine afterward.

The 6.50 drivers have worked just fine with my system, but I've got a lower-end configuration. (nVIDIA TNT). I imagine with higher systems, it will make a difference with the drivers you suggested, and thank you for that!

-Sazerac