Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2001, 12:31 AM   #1
Jafin
Symbol of Cyric

A lot of people have been saying how bad the guide is, which I agree with quite often, but I thought I'd be the oddball and say GOOD things about it.

It does tell you how to become the special roles. It has good tips for character creation. It fairly accurately describes what the advantages and disadvantages of the different Roles and Clans were. It'll get you through the game, the walkthrough is accurate enough for that. All of the tips in the advice sections are accurate and rather good. The maps are all 100% accurate. The boss and monster defeating tips are all very good (basically, it says Mantraps are EVIL!!! I HATE those things!!).

Come on everybody! Join in on the good points! Well, as long as it doesn't overshadow the bad points .

-Jafin
Jafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2001, 12:46 AM   #2
Jafin
Symbol of Cyric

Hey! Nobody's responding to this! The guide's not THAT bad is it?

-Jafin
Old 06-01-2001, 01:09 AM   #3
Jafin
Symbol of Cyric

Okay, I guess it is that bad....

-Jafin
Old 06-01-2001, 01:10 AM   #4
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

It's good to know, Jafin, that the guide does have some good points. I guess our point here is:

A) The inaccuracies in the guide can have players literally going 'round in circles looking for something the guide says is there but isn't.

B) The tables are incomplete, and often contain inaccurate information on what is there.

C) All the good points in the guide can be found in online walkthroughs (like Rick's site) or have been covered here on this forum...for free.

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2001, 01:19 AM   #5
Jafin
Symbol of Cyric

This forum has been the best source of information for me compared to anything else I've come across. Not to mention finding strange possibilities and sharing them with people who would like them or maybe expand on them.

-Jafin
Old 06-01-2001, 01:20 AM   #6
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

I know; that's what I love about this place! Like your passing on to me about the "Level 20" trick in the guilds...I would never have known that, and I've played through 5 times!!!

Well, that gives me ammo to do a 6th run. Eventually.

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2001, 06:41 AM   #7
Fallagar
Dungeon Master

So I believe, whether a strategy guide is good or bad depends on many different reasons. The first point is the shortage of time between the beta and the release date, I think so. Some other reasons can be the coordination between the programmer's last minute changes and the book writer. And another good reason is: there was NO orientation for the writer, 'cause it's the first version of W&W.

Maybe that's the reason why Rick's homepage and this forum can give us more informations - they go into the details, 'cause they/we have all the time of this world.

There are many guides and all of them have the same secret:

"If you realy love the game, you'll also love the guide. They are like bread and butter or like pot and lid, which belongs together!"

My first cRPG was Might & Magic 6, 1998, and even before I'd bought the game, I hold the guide in my hands. And with the help of this guide I discovered the "3DO programmer's dungeon".

So, I've ordered the W&W guide two weeks ago from a little book store. Equal, if it's good or bad, I will love it - 'cause it will satisfy my endless hunger for informations even more. And that's the main-reason why books/guides are for.

Hope, you like my personal philosophy. Now, I 've to come to the end 'cause my dictionary slowly begins to burn away

Fallagar
Fallagar is offline   Reply With Quote