Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-05-2003, 03:23 PM   #1
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

I don't know if anyone else has had this happen before, so I'll ask. My grandparents have four birds, two which are parakeets and had eggs, but here's the problem. About a month back, Tweety (the female bird) started laying eggs but after about a week she quit sitting on them and after checking them we saw they were dead. And she keeps laying more and more eggs but rarely sits on them and they too, die [img]graemlins/verysad.gif[/img] We've called pet stores about this and both gave different answers one being let the male bird in the cage to fertilize the eggs but after trying as such, Tweety attacked him.

Does anyone know how to keep the eggs alive so they can hatch?
Old 05-05-2003, 03:39 PM   #2
mysticelt
Drow Warrior

Gangrell,

First let me wish you almost happy birthday as I see it is getting rather close!

Now about the eggs. The eggs that Tweety has laid are not fertilized and will not hatch. She must accept a male parakeet as a mate before laying the eggs or the eggs are just not viable. My parakeet does not have a mate and she lays eggs all of the time.

She does not get along with other birds - she fights to the death! So it is best that she remains without a companion to kill or be killed. That may be the case with Tweety as she has gotten territorial with her cage and is happy in her space. Just remove the eggs after a day or so.
Old 05-05-2003, 03:44 PM   #3
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by mysticelt:
Gangrell,

First let me wish you almost happy birthday as I see it is getting rather close!
First off, thanks [img]smile.gif[/img]

Secondly, she did accept the other parakeet, thats when she started laying the eggs. What I can't figure out is if they already mated, why the eggs won't hatch, does he have to be in her cage to fertilize them further?
Old 05-05-2003, 08:56 PM   #4
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

*bump*
Old 05-05-2003, 09:48 PM   #5
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

My sister raised parakeets for about 5 or 6 years she said that you should go to the pet store and buy a book called raising parakeets and order a small incubator and as soon after she lays her eggs as possiable place the eggs in the incubator so that the Eggs can be kept at a constant temperature so that the Eggs will Hatch then follow the directions in the book on how to keep them alive.
Old 05-06-2003, 05:50 AM   #6
Epona
Zartan

Right! Bird expert on the scene!

Don't put the male she attacked back in with her. If she doesn't like him, there is no way they will mate, budgies are very aggressive and one of them may get killed.

Birds have to mate before making each egg for them to be fertile, so will need to do it several times to make a fertile clutch. They lay one egg every 2 days, and need to mate each time before the egg is laid. Both birds then raise them - usually the female will sit on them and the male will eat and go back to feed the female. A male and female need to be kept together right through the whole process until the babies are fledged and have left the nest.

Did you actually see the birds mate? A female will lay eggs during breeding season regardless of whether she has mated, they will of course be infertile.

Birds mating is a tricky business. They don't have 'equipment' like mammals - they rub their cloaci together, and it is a bit hit and miss. A young pair of birds need to practice before they get it right. They also need steady perches to stand on while they are mating.

A pair of budgies kept by themselves will rarely mate and produce fertile eggs. Normally they need to be within sight of at least two or three other breeding pairs (although not in the same cage, budgies are aggressive).

Is the hen getting plenty of calcium? She may become eggbound if she keeps laying and isn't getting calcium supplements. Make sure she has a cuttlefish bone or calcium block available.

Don't incubate the eggs unless you are experienced at hand-feeding and have the time to do so. Newly hatched babies need to be fed every two hours throughout the day and night for the first week - which means no work and no sleep. It is easy to kill baby birds when feeding them if you don't know what you are doing.

Budgies are excellent parents. Your hen is not sitting on the eggs because she knows they are dead - so an incubator would be pointless. If she had laid some fertile ones, she would be an excellent mum. She is the best one to sit on them and feed the chicks when they are born.

Do they have a nestbox?

Do they have high-protein food for breeding budgies?

How old are they? You should not be attempting to breed budgies under the age of 2 years, but after about 5 years of age they will be too old to breed.

Are you sure you want them to breed? There are so many unwanted birds around already, and many are neglected and mistreated - are you sure you want to add to the problem? How will you find homes for the babies?

Go to this forum, it is excellent - I am a regular there, and there are lots of experienced owners and breeders and even a student avian vet who post there - you will get lots of help from them if you introduce yourself and ask them!

Parrot Parrot Pet Birds

[ 05-06-2003, 06:06 AM: Message edited by: Epona ]
Old 05-07-2003, 06:09 PM   #7
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

bump - so much work. [img]smile.gif[/img]
So long !<br /><br />R³ aka \"The Ramonster\"(thanks Sir Tainly) - proud to be the official spokesman for the most noble Lady Bilqis, Desert Rose of Ironworks - equally proud to be Moiraine\'s \"permanent advocate\" ! - relaunched edition -
Old 05-07-2003, 06:32 PM   #8
Epona
Zartan

Awww Guido - that's nice of you! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Gangrell has seen it, but thanks [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-07-2003, 06:58 PM   #9
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

You probably would have less heartily thanked me, if you had known what I was, unsuccessfully, looking for when I stumbled on this thread.
So long !<br /><br />R³ aka \"The Ramonster\"(thanks Sir Tainly) - proud to be the official spokesman for the most noble Lady Bilqis, Desert Rose of Ironworks - equally proud to be Moiraine\'s \"permanent advocate\" ! - relaunched edition -
Old 05-07-2003, 07:45 PM   #10
Epona
Zartan

Don't worry, I can guess! [img]tongue.gif[/img]