Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 06-09-2003, 09:33 PM   #1
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I just want to know if we Americans are a curiosity or not. For those who do not know what I am talking about, we "pledge allegiance to the American flag" at various events. It is common at sporting events and other types of gatherings. Children in school used to (they may still) do it at the start of every school day. You put your right hand over your heart and repeat the following:

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the repubic for which it stands: one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

(I don't know if I got the punctuation all correct.) Anyway, are we alone in having something like this. Also, what do you think about this? Nice, antiquated, rampant patriotism, nationalism, brings tears to your eyes? Remember, keep it nice. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 06-09-2003, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: Reeka ]
<b>Order of the Holy Flame</b><br /><i>Member of Clan HADB</i><br /><b>Laughing Hyena</b><br /><i>Clan Liaison, IW Peace Keeping Force</i><br /><i>[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com/Forum/index.php?board=29\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River VoiceChat!</a><br />Last Saturday of every month. <br />See the forum link for scheduling!<br /><b> </b><br /></i><br /><b>Admin and Co-Owner of [url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River</a></b><br />[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\"></a>
Old 06-10-2003, 04:43 AM   #2
Lovisa
Manshoon

I think it looks a little like rasicm, no offence but u pledge to ur flag and I mean we don't here in Sweden we don't even care about our national day and we aint religious and stuff. You might be very religious in America but I mean pledge to the flag is too much, sounds like ur the best country and you'll crush the one that talk about u bad. Well this is just my opinion and I'm a non-religios swed [img]tongue.gif[/img] ...well sorry if I was rude or anything but I just say what I thought.
Old 06-10-2003, 05:04 AM   #3
Spelca
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Lovisa:
I think it looks a little like rasicm, no offence but u pledge to ur flag and I mean we don't here in Sweden we don't even care about our national day and we aint religious and stuff. You might be very religious in America but I mean pledge to the flag is too much, sounds like ur the best country and you'll crush the one that talk about u bad. Well this is just my opinion and I'm a non-religios swed [img]tongue.gif[/img] ...well sorry if I was rude or anything but I just say what I thought.
Yea, I live in Sweden, though I'm not a Swede, but my boyfriend is. He said that in Sweden they used to sing the anthem at the end of the school year, but then they stopped because the anthem has such a bad "reputation" about it. For those that don't know, the Swedish anthem has been "kidnapped" by the Swedish nazis, so some people associate the anthem with them. And that's why they stopped that, I think.

But, no, not even in Slovenia (where I'm from) do we have a pledge of allegiance. I don't even remember singing the anthem in school, except on special occasions (like concerts... but then the music class would sing it). So, hmm, not in schools, no. [img]smile.gif[/img] And I wouldn't want it like that either. I mean, it's nice to know things about your country, and to be proud of where you come from... and that's it. I care more about where I come from and I don't equate "where I come from" with my country, but with my culture and family. And that, I think, is something that I can be proud of - or respect to put it like that. [img]smile.gif[/img]

But I, also, think that pledging allegiance like that looks more like a religion to me, and it seems, in a way, to stress that "my country is better than any other country" and because of that I am against it. [img]tongue.gif[/img] but you may disagree with me.
Old 06-10-2003, 05:13 AM   #4
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

How is it interpreted as 'my country is better than your country'??

All you are doing is pledging your allegiance to your flag, nothing more, nothing less.

Hmm, two posts about the American flag in one day.

[ 06-10-2003, 05:20 AM: Message edited by: Iron_Ranger ]
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge
Old 06-10-2003, 05:20 AM   #5
Spelca
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Iron_Ranger:
How is it interpited as 'my country is better than your country'??

All you are doing is pledging your allegiance to your flag, nothing more, nothing less.

Hmm, two posts about the American flag in one day.
Dunno, that's just the association I get with it. [img]smile.gif[/img] It's just my opinion. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

PS: Ah, sorry, I guess it's because those kinds of things often get taken by nazis, so that's why I don't like it. (I'd post this before but the forum didn't work [img]tongue.gif[/img] ).

[ 06-10-2003, 06:14 AM: Message edited by: Spelca ]
Old 06-10-2003, 05:21 AM   #6
Stratos
Vampire

Well as been already answered Sweden doesn't have a Pledge of Allegiance.

I've always wondered what the Pledge stand for, is it the same as absolute loyalty and that you're vow to die for your country or is it only a way to recognice and respect it? If it's the first one then school kids shouldn't be allow to do the Pledge as they don't completely understand what loyalty is.

What I think about it?... Well that depends on exactly who it is that does it. Soldiers: OK...Children: seems a bit militaristic to me.

[ 06-10-2003, 05:21 AM: Message edited by: Stratos ]
Old 06-10-2003, 05:43 AM   #7
Eisenschwarz

I don’t think that Britain has one, however MP’s have to swear allegiance to the queen and I consider that anti-democratic and not compatible with a supposedly democratic society.

However, given that the current governments of most nations seem to have no popular support ,(for example the British government was elected only by a majority of people who voted, but a majority of people DID NOT VOTE anyway) thus the government lacks popular support and legitimacy, The same thing happens in America (the less said about the supreme courts president making the better) and the rest Europe due to voter apathy et al, I do not consider pledges or oaths or anything like that a desirable thing to engage in.

It’s an inherently authoritarian act anyway, to demand you swear loyalty and die for your country et al, I wouldn’t be prepared to die so that Rupert murdoch could carry on going having weekly meetings with Tony blair.

[ 06-10-2003, 05:44 AM: Message edited by: Eisenschwarz ]

Old 06-10-2003, 06:16 AM   #8
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Eisenschwarz:
I don’t think that Britain has one, however MP’s have to swear allegiance to the queen and I consider that anti-democratic and not compatible with a supposedly democratic society.

Hm.. such a thing sounds more symbolic then anything else. To answer Reeka's question; I don't think we have such a thing in The Netherlands. Though most of the people I know are quite proud to be Dutch [img]smile.gif[/img] Even the rich... after they move to Belgium to dodge the massive taxes on high wages while still sending their kids to Dutch schools... sorry, not the right topic for such a rant

[ 06-10-2003, 06:17 AM: Message edited by: Dreamer128 ]
Old 06-10-2003, 06:22 AM   #9
Faceman
Hathor

definitely nothing like this in Austria
National Day is a day off ... nothing more, nothing less.
Well they put our ridiculous armed forces on display but that's about it
Old 06-10-2003, 06:29 AM   #10
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Lovisa:
I think it looks a little like rasicm
How can that pledge seem like racism? What about it appears to discriminate against anyone based on their race?