Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2003, 11:46 AM   #1
Donut
Jack Burton

He told coalition troops at US Central Command in the Gulf state of Qatar that the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq showed that America had made a good start.

A good start! So who's next in the firing line? Syria, Iran, North Korea, France?

[ 04-28-2003, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: Donut ]
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 02:31 PM   #2
Rokenn
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
He told coalition troops at US Central Command in the Gulf state of Qatar that the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq showed that America had made a good start.

A good start! So who's next in the firing line? Syria, Iran, North Korea, France?
Well France was supposedly passing intel to Iraq (according to Fox). And since Iraq is in cohots with Osama, that means france is guilty by association.

The bombing begins in 5 minutes! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-28-2003, 02:43 PM   #3
MagiK

You guys are all so scared of Rumsfeld [img]smile.gif[/img] He is secretary of defense not King of America ya know [img]smile.gif[/img] .

I read through your other post about an interview thing where rumsfeld apparently was "got" and couldn't see what you were talking about. Sounded to me like a question and answer session where the host was intending to switch topics when one was not working to get his goat...and I thought he handled it pretty well.

As for this comment, geez, its pretty obvious that the US has a good start on fighting terror sponsoring states, no one ever seriously thought that after Iraq the job would be done. Sheesh, Syria is next and maybe North Korea.....no not invasions, the US does not always just resort to military action nor does the UK. It took 12 years to go back into Iraq, we aren't likely to be sending troops into France this week. I mean Syria...yeah Syria...forget I said France
Old 04-28-2003, 06:08 PM   #4
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Another "throwaway line" from Rummy - now there's a surprise . I think he is a bit "pissed" about that Iraqii Information Minister hogging all the spotlight [img]smile.gif[/img] .
Old 04-29-2003, 01:14 AM   #5
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

I thought he was the minister for defense, not the minister of offense.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 03:49 AM   #6
Rimjaw
Red Wizard of Thay

Whatever happens next, its probably not going to happen anytime soon. The amount of personnel needed to occupy Iraq will stretch the Armed Forces (particularly the Army) pretty thin for the duration of the occupation.
Rimjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 06:46 AM   #7
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Is there any info on how he responded on the return of the Taliban in some parts of Afghanistan? Since he's calling it a good start now... It would be nice if that "good start" actually had some long-term effects.

[ 04-29-2003, 06:50 AM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Grojlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 08:56 AM   #8
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
quote:
Is there any info on how he responded on the return of the Taliban in some parts of Afghanistan? Since he's calling it a good start now... It would be nice if that "good start" actually had some long-term effects. [/QUOTE]The return of the taliban. Hmmm lets see they are in a couple of isolated villages far from the major capitals....hardly a "return to power". I suppose Grojlach you would prefer a complete slaughter to each and every person who professes to be taliban? The idea was to get the terrorists that were in Afghanistan, the Taliban happened to be in power and supporting them so was removed. Whats left to deal with?

Edit: The last I heard, the US was still conducting minor house keeping operations in Afghanistan...mucht he way we will be in Iraq for quite some time...but as of now the "WAR" in both places is over..whats left is mopping up.

[ 04-29-2003, 08:58 AM: Message edited by: MagiK ]
Old 04-29-2003, 09:02 AM   #9
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

I think he meant a "good start" on the updated version of The Domino Theory. Instead of us trying to prevent Communists from toppling one nation after another we are going to be doing the toppling ourselves. [img]graemlins/firedevil.gif[/img]

But not really. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

You could never pay me enough to have Rumsfeld's job (or maybe you could [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img] ). No matter what you answer to any question, including ones as trivial as "How was your breakfast this morning?", your words will be skewed and/or misinterpreted as people ignore what you are saying and try to divine what you are really saying.
I would probably have too much fun with that job, though, because I would sit down and phrase answers to questions before an interview or press conference that are either vague and open to interpretation or designed to make everyone jump to the conclusion I want them to have. [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img] Sometimes, it is almost like journalists want to be led...or misled.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 09:39 AM   #10
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
I suppose Grojlach you would prefer a complete slaughter to each and every person who professes to be taliban?
Sorry MagiK, but if you're going to resort to childish personal attacks* in the form of a completely uncalled for and insinuating sophism like the one above, don't expect me to respond.

* Indirectly insinuating that I prefer genocide just for asking a simple critical question about Afghanistan counts as a personal attack in my book, yes.

[ 04-29-2003, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Grojlach is offline   Reply With Quote