Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Roleplaying > Ironworks Online Roleplaying

Old 05-14-2007, 02:49 AM   #231
dplax
Jack Burton

Vindson

The ageing smith gestured behind himself, where the town of Lockesville was. "There have been a lot of new arrivals in town lately. And I honestly can't recall having seen as many elves in one place since we travelled together through the kingdoms of the elves."

"I came to you to ask whether you've heard anything more than I have about this sudden influx of adventurers, all seemingly coming at random? Have you any insight to offer into why they're all here?"

Even if it was momentarily good for Vindson's business, he did not like so many new faces in town. He had to admit that it was probably a sign of age. The older he got, the more he got settled into a daily routine, which these adventurers arriving in Lockesville disturbed.
dplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 05:28 AM   #232
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

Kuankreid (& Ainyra)

Kuan nodded absently and made his way to menagerie. Ainyra on the other hand, flew circles around her friend excitedly, chattering non-stop and not letting up until they were actually inside the room. Kuan had learnt from experience just to let her speak and did not bother to interrupt.

The moment they were there, Ainyra flew over to the bookshelf and began examining the titles there. With a sigh, Kuan waited for his familiar to pick one out – which would likely take the better part of five minutes – and absently browsed the titles himself. He was not interested in any mad creations, nor truly interested in the Codex Magicus; there were better books around – at home – but he lacked access to them. He sighed and reflected on that for a moment, then dispelled the nostalgia with a shake of his head.

Fortunately, Ainyra was too busy reading the titles to notice his bleak thoughts, or she’d have no doubt scolded him for being so dismal and so archly pointed out that it was his choice to leave home in the first place. Kuan rolled his eyes; he did not even need her to say it aloud; he could already hear it in his mind’s eye without her ever needing to speak.

A sharp jab in the shoulder brought him back to awareness, “Kuan, what are you thinking about? I’ve been trying to get your attention for the past two minutes! Well, okay, more like half a minute, but that’s not the point! You know that I’m too small to reach the books and… oi! Pay attention! I’m trying to talk to you!”

“Yes, yes, all right, I hear you. Can you turn the page or do you need me to do that?”

“You know full well I can do that for myself!” she paused consideringly as Kuan blankly got the book down for her and set it down on a nearby desk
(OOC: if there was no such desk, table or surface, Kuan will sit cross-legged on the floor and set it on his lap for Ainyra to read, rather than set the book on the floor and risk getting it dirty) “Hey Kuan?” the sprite asked, genuine concern in her tone, “What’s wrong?”

“No–”

“And don’t tell me ‘nothing’s wrong’.” she cut him off with a scowl, “I know you better than that. So talk, mister.” The little sprite hovered in front of his vision with her hands on her hips waiting with exaggerated patience for his answer.

“I just miss home, that’s all.” the elf sighed, flipping open the book.

“Hey,” her tone was gentle now, “We’ll go back some day, and ‘sides, you have me. I’m not going to abandon you, so don’t look so down.” That got a wry smile out of him. “I think someone needs a hug.” the sprite stated primly before throwing her tiny arms around him and planting her petite lips on cheek.

“Oh for an enlargement spell,” Kuan forced a grin and carefully hugged her back – with one hand. “I swear I feel like I’m about to swat you each time I do that.”

“I was thinking the same thing,” Ainyra answered dryly, “About the spell at least. We’ll have to get you one. Or get me one. Preferably one that lets me go back to being sprite-sized when I want. Hey, why don’t you ask that old archmage? Hmm, maybe this book will have something like that here… lemme see…”

Kuan grinned and shook his head, his good humour partially restored. He was still worried about this newfound power of his, but perhaps this ‘Oley’ could help. At the very least, Ainyra would not allow him to remain down for long. She was too cheery – and already knee deep – quite literally – in text, scrolls and books to worry half the time and the other half, she was just generally cheerful and chatty. Which unfortunately left Kuan to consider other possibilities while his familiar decided which spells would suit him best – he was still unsure when she decided to take charge of his spellbook and which spells went in and out… something surely wasn’t right there. Still with these sorcerous powers of his drifting in, it did mean one less burden off his mind, but did she really have to ensure that all his mage spells were brightly coloured?

He looked down at her fondly; lying across his lap on her belly, she propped herself up on her elbows and read the oversized book with an intense concentration that somehow amused him. She was so focused on that and only that. Once she had made herself comfortable, little could distract her; not even the rolling waves of the sea… Kuan suddenly felt sick again and decided that it would be best to read with her and not think. So he did just that.

[ 05-14-2007, 05:32 AM: Message edited by: Calaethis Dragonsbane ]
Calaethis Dragonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:41 PM   #233
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Xaver

"We will definately check his possessions, if only in hope of gaining more insight on who he was. But if he was from this village we will have to return his valuables to his family, if he has any. And no matter how expensive, his weapons and armor get buried with him."

The dwarf looked at the scout, and sensing that he might not be pleased with such arrangment added "Don't get me wrong, I myself in my travels have many a times helped myself to the possessions of a merchant or traveller found dead on the road, figuring, like you said just now, that the gods would not be pleased if I buried something that could be put to good use by me. But this person here is a soldier, who was fighting the very thing that we killed just now, and deserves a little bit more respect."

The cleric pointed deeper into the cave. "And hopefully whatever we find in the ettin's lair will prove a much better loot anyway. Let's go then, Pandaros. And Sever, if you feel strong enough you can join us, otherwise you can wait here till we return... just don't complain later that we're trying to hide any loot from you."

Then, taking Pandaros a few steps away, and making sure they were out of Sever's earshot he wispered to the scout. "I just wanted to warn you... be careful when we go there. We still haven't heard Sever's excuse on why he left us. He might have a legitimate one, but somehow him reappearing like that just at the right moment is too much of a coincidence to me. For all we know it was his plan from the beginning to follow us, have us fight the monster, then quietly kill the survivors. He changed his plan when he realized the ettin might be too much for him alone, but now that the monster is dead he might go back to what he intended originally. You saw how good he was at backstabbing..."

The dwarf paused for a moment and shot a quick glance at the thief. "Like I said, just be careful. I hope healing him wouldn't turn out to be a mistake."
ZFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 12:10 PM   #234
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Sever
Quote:
Originally posted by ZFR:
"just don't complain later that we're trying to hide any loot from you."
The thief within prompted by Xaver's words, Sever sat up straight and tested his limbs and possessions for damage. As he did so, he responded:

"Master dwarf, though it may pain you to know it, you are certainly speaking my language. I feel well enough to join you on your foray and would not have it any other way. The pair of you proved difficult to catch before this encounter and i don't feel up to the task of another chase."

A look of mild disgust crossed Sever's face as his hand discovered what had become of his jar of preserved apples. Wiping his hand clean on his thigh he added:

"Speaking of the chase, i was hoping to tell you of it over a campfire dinner of the four legged kind. But alas, it seems my evaluation of your previous encounter was incorrect. And now, just as i'd worked up something of an appetite for them, my jar of apples has turned a little too squishy. I trust yours faired better?
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 01:41 PM   #235
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

Gillian

Gillian returned to his perusal of the shelves, wondering which books would be safe to touch and which not. His eye was drawn to an immaculate looking set of six on the bottom left of the stack and he squatted down to have a better look. The fact that the books looked unused suggested that they weren’t particularly interesting but before he straightened up he noticed a small and slim card-bound book near to them. Carefully taking it off the shelf he walked over to the desk where a floating light provided better illumination.

The book appeared to be a notebook or possibly even a laboratory journal. It was dirty and a little bit damaged but the writing was still clear and the occasional complex diagram (all lines and circles in complex arrangement) boldly drawn. Unfortunately Gillian could not read the language the book was written in but nevertheless there was something about the book that intrigued him. He glanced up at the door through which Oley and Vindson had gone and then to the larger of his pouches and back at the book. He seemed caught by indecision for a moment then sighed, shook his head and returned the book to the shelf. Then he wandered idly over to the desk and looked at the objects there, wondering how long Oley would be.
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 02:32 PM   #236
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

For Xaver, Sever and Pandaros:

Upon finishing their discussions and checking their immediate medical needs, the trio ventured into the dark stench that was the home of this ettin. There were no further signs of meals littering the floor but for the front of the cavern. The main section of this cavern came to an end where was found a bed made of a pile of straw, probably learned from visiting the stall of horses and stolen from there as well. There were several boulders piled up in the corner of the room and a tree branch that seemed to be a good blunt weapon for large hands.

Feel free to explore in more detail!
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 11:59 PM   #237
Kazilan
Elminster

Mahjong Solitaire Champion

Pandaros

The scout lifted his torch high as he scoured the room.

"Not much for all the work, eh? I'll have trouble replacing my arrows at this rate."

Pandaros walked to the straw bed and scattered the covering with his foot.

"You never know where something may be hidden, although that beast didn't seem too intelligent. It probably didn't place value on anything that didn't appeal to its stomach."
Kazilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 01:25 PM   #238
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Oley

The archmage nodded absently pouring over rumors, fluxes in the Weave of magic he'd felt, and the arrival of two would-be apprentices. "Vindson, you know I haven't taken an apprentice, or had one student apply for training in all the time since I came to this town, now I have one applicant, and another mageling who needs a learned sage. There are great disturbances far away, and it would seem we're in the quiet hamlet that becomes a gathering place for future heroes as in the stories. If this is more than mere coincidence then this town will not be quiet for long. Between the guests the Locke's have entertained in the past few days the new arrivals, the arson and murders of the guards, the life of adventure seems to be returning for us whether we want it or not." Oley shuddered and reached into a pocket of his robe for a flask, the metal was scarred from much use, dented, and worn. He twisted the cap and began bringing it to his mouth when he stopped and regarded it, then with a pained look and a wince, he poured it out onto the stairs. "It looks like I'll be taking a break for a few days, oh well, my liver will thank me I guess..."

OOC for Kuankried, there are three desks, one with empty cages, one covered in papers and strange runes with note scribbled in the margins and one that is relatively clear. There are several volumes of magical theory, one book bound in silver with white gold runic lettering, books on golem construction, a few half-built homoculi, chimera of various sorts (and manuals on magically aided crossbreeding) and a small (sheep-sized) half-pony half-monkey monster.
Morgeruat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 05:28 PM   #239
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

Kuankreid (& Ainyra)

While Ainyra looked over the Codex Magicus, Kuan carefully pulled the golem construction books, and the book bound in silver with the white gold runes, and set them in front of him.

“Maybe we’re going about this the wrong way…” he mused, “If we were to encase you inside a golem’s body, say a blade construct, you would have a suit of armour to work from. With the ability to fly and such.”

“Kuan, I have wings already! Why’d I want a giant suit of armour… hey, that’s not a bad idea actually… but couldn’t, you y’know, have armour crafted for me after I have this enlarge spell? That’s what you want, right?”

“Well, I’m not so sure, but…”

“Kuan! You said!”

“All right, all right. Still, a golem construct that follows us around could be useful too…”

“Yeeeeah, until we hit an anti-magic field. Then its dead and who’ll have to carry it?”

“Good point. Still…”

“I suppose you want a dragon as well. A baby one.”

“Well…”

“Well, it would be cute, I admit. Hey, that’s not a bad idea. Let’s go find a baby dragon.”

“And who’s going to look after it?”

“You are, of course.”

“Of course I am, and no doubt, I’ll have to pay for its upkeep as well.”

“Well, you wanted one.”

You suggested it.”

“Yeah and? You still want one.”

“Fine. Can we drop this? I still think a golem would be useful.”

“Sure, if you pay for it. And spend time making it.”

“Bah.”

“You know there’s some really nasty evil entity that simply delights in causing downfall-”

“You mean ‘Fate’?”

“Sure – if you want to call it that. I was thinking more of a spiteful imp.”

“Like you?”

“Hey! Be nice! And anyway, you know it’d just be a wasted effort – you’d need to hire an armoursmith and a weaponsmith too. And your magic’s not that good..”

“Not yet…”

“Well, I dunno. I don’t like it. I’d rather you stuck to spells. Maybe we should find you some sort of armoured suit.”

“I already have my elven chain!”

“But its not enchanted. Hey, maybe this Archmage can help!”

“Have you seen those monsters he’s created?” Kuan asked dryly, “I have to wonder about those…”

“Now who’s no fun mister Bah?”

And so their conversation went on as they studied the books, committing their pages to memory…
Calaethis Dragonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 03:24 PM   #240
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Sever 19/31

Sever guessed by Pandaros' body language that nothing of interest was to be found amongst the straw of the ettin's sleeping area. He agreed with the ranger in that such a savage creature would really only place value in something it could eat. Or, judging by the tree branch, something it could tenderise his food with. He'd heard tavern talk of uncivilised monsters hoarding all manner of "pretties", but not knowing one uncivilised monster from the next, Sever was simply happy to assume that this wasn't one of them. He already knew where his "pretties" were, and he was anxious to head off and collect them.

"What say you to us being rid of this gods awful cavern and venturing back to that nice little campsite the pair of you discovered earlier? Fire and a meal. A few campfire war stories (i have a recent one that you'll be wanting to hear, no doubt) and then a good night's sleep to let the bruises ripen for our meeting with the Locke's."

Sever tried as best he could to discern his companions' thoughts by their torch lit faces.

"We can see to the wellbeing of our dead mercenary on the morrow. He won't mind.

What say you?"
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote