Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)

Old 10-07-2002, 11:24 AM   #1
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

Signs: - what did you all think? I saw it today, and to be perfectly honest, I was dissapointed [img]tongue.gif[/img] (actually I only saw it coz I had a couple of mates who wanted to see it, and well. What are friends for? ) anyway, I thought it was useless, the entire plot didnt really feel thought tho..
I also CANT understand WHY they stood STILL when they were under attack, they were in the middle of the house, standing still, unarmed, and looked almost as if they were posiong for a family photo. WHY didnt they arm themselves? Even kitchen knives *cough* I'm sorry its just that WHEN you're under attack you CANT just stand there...

I also didnt understand WHY the "aliens" COULDNT break down the boards... I mean, they have technology otherwise they COULDNT get to earth... I didnt like it. There were several other things I didnt like either.. like the stupid book the kid got. etc etc etc. and why the aliens left coz a few of em got water spashed over em... anyway, I gotta go, [img]tongue.gif[/img] cya around.
Calaethis Dragonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 07:50 AM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

What bugs is how some people tend to focus too much on the aliens and overlook the main thread of the storyline which was concluded brillantly at the end.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 04:36 PM   #3
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

brillant ending? so he got his faith back. oh joy, I'm happy for him. His son lived. happy happy joy joy. the aliens were beaten. using water, woohoo. (soz about the sarcasim... I just didnt think much of the guy, I mean, if he WAS a christain (supposedly,) surely he would have believed that his wife had gone to a better place yes? So why loose faith? :| It doesnt make any sense to me... but thats just imho.)
Old 10-09-2002, 01:45 AM   #4
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Different people, different strokes I guess.

He just felt that it was unfair, but as time went by, he learned that everything happens for a reason.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 07:58 PM   #5
Lek Dukagjin
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
What bugs is how some people tend to focus too much on the aliens and overlook the main thread of the storyline which was concluded brillantly at the end.
Thank you - excellent point. I loved this film because of its portrayal of human relations in times of crises. Not any of that old alien malarkey.
Old 10-13-2002, 08:00 PM   #6
Willard
Fzoul Chembryl

That "Swing Away" thing really was cool. It was as if the wife saw into the future. They stood in the middle of the room because they believed that they were completely boarded in, and they wouldn't go charging out the boarded door wielding steaknives, would they? [img]tongue.gif[/img] What I didn't get were the star and moon-shaped holes in the doors and windows. If the aliens could make those holes, they could probably make the door one big hole, and go through. [img]tongue.gif[/img] Besides that, it was cool. I really liked that thing on the news with the kid's birthday party, and then it shows the alien walking across the road. That made the hair on the back of my neck prickle up. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2002, 04:46 AM   #7
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

...steak knives are better then no knives... besides, who said anything about hunting down the aliens? They were coming to them, and were likely to break though.. wouldnt it be prudent to arm yourself with whatever you have at hand? be it knives, guns, crowbars... maybe I play to many computer games, but... still...
Old 10-19-2002, 07:03 AM   #8
SkeleTony
Elite Waterdeep Guard

The biggest stupid thing about this movie(besides the way it encourages those who lack critical thinking skills to keep on thinking poorly) is the fact that the aliens whose achilies heel is water come to a planet that is over 2/3rds water!?!?
Old 10-19-2002, 07:11 AM   #9
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

definatly. I just dont think it was properly thought out. but thats just mho.
Old 10-24-2002, 12:25 AM   #10
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Willard:
That made the hair on the back of my neck prickle up. [img]smile.gif[/img]
I liked the movie for exactly that reason. I probably got that feeling almost ten times in the whole span of an hour and half. You really shouldn't think to logically about science fiction-depicted movies, since we have to use our imaginations to fully understand the entity.

M. Night Shamalan is great at making movies, and these "spine-thrillers" are an excellent genre of movie. I enjoyed it to its full potential.
Nanobyte is offline   Reply With Quote