Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-06-2001, 02:09 PM   #1
Player Offender
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ok guys well i really wanna solo this game. I tried a kensai/mage, but the fact i have to use knock and detect trap spells is too much for me. I dont like to hav e tor est every 5 seconds in a dungeoun.

So i thought perhaps, i should be a swashbuckler, who has very decent fighting ability, and then dual class to a mage.

Now the problem though is i know the basics of dual class, but not the specifics.

Ok say i get my swashbuckler to 3 in two weapon style, then get 2 in katana. and he has something like 120 in detect traps and pick locks or whatever, then a dual class to mage. What happens to all these proficientcies and skill points?
Does one or the other disapear?

Also what level should i dual class? Like a kensai/mage and at level 9?
Help me out here =)
Old 10-06-2001, 02:14 PM   #2
Grojlach
Zartan

Those proficiencies will temporarily become unavailable. If you dual at level 9, you'll have to become a level 10 mage first to get them back again; the idea of it is that you're first focusing on your new class and when you're good enough, you're able to use the other abilities again as well.
One warning is in order though. If you have put proficiency slots in katana and are allowed to choose a new one as a mage while the Swashbuckler class is still disabled, don't put any new weapon prof. points in katana, you will overwrite the other ones.
Old 10-06-2001, 02:20 PM   #3
Player Offender
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ok thanks, now another question. Say I have 3 in two weapon style, and 1 in katana.
then i hit level 10 and get my swashbuckler proficiencies back, will i be able to put a second prof into katana when i get a extra prof point? or because im a mage will it only let me advance as far as a mage would with a skill?
Old 10-06-2001, 02:24 PM   #4
Grojlach
Zartan

No.
I played a Kensai/Mage once and was still able to put extra weapon proficiency slots according to the Kensai scheme, not the mage scheme. So don't worry.
Old 10-06-2001, 02:27 PM   #5
deathknight
Drow Warrior

Once you regain your 1st classes abilities you can spend your profiencies on anything your original class would allow even if your second class (like a mage) would not normally get those as a choice. I think the exception to this will be in the case of a fighter dualed to a cleric. The cleric will not be able to spend profs on edged weapons (which would be silly since they cannot wield them anyhow).
Old 10-06-2001, 02:30 PM   #6
Player Offender
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks guys. Ill tell you how my swashymage turns out. Time to get evil =D
Old 10-06-2001, 02:30 PM   #7
deathknight
Drow Warrior

Oh and since you are going solo maybe you will want to raise your first classes levels as high as you can without limiting your second class. What I mean is figure out at what level can you get to in your first class and still have enough xp to get your max level in your second class. Then if you think you don't need the max level in your second class figure that much more xp for the first class.

Of course if you NEED the second classes abilities you may have to dual earlier.
Old 10-06-2001, 02:33 PM   #8
ScottG
Drow Warrior

Swashbuckler/Mage is better than a Kensai/Mage overall.

However you will need a missle wepon to go through solo.

You won't get the opp. to add some prof. areas while as a mage (ie. katanas).

Go to lvl. 10 as a thief/Swashbuckler (then dual to a mage)
w/
2 points dual wield
1 point in katana
1 point in short bow

when you dual to mage
1 point in sling or darts (these are your only ranged wepons that you will desperatly need while only a mage, unless you have found one of two daggers that return to the wielder)
1 point in single wepon style
1 point in two-handed wepon style (you may or may not get this extra prof. B4 you get back your Thief skills - don't know).
& about now you will have gotten you Thief prof. back
1 point in two wepon style
Old 10-06-2001, 02:40 PM   #9
Player Offender
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Why do i need all the ranged weapons?
I mean im solo so i wont have any tanks to kepe the monsters busy while i shoot at them.
and even if i do get ranged, why do i need short bow in addition to slings?