Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 09-08-2001, 07:20 AM   #31
Kitty
Manshoon

Really, Jaheira's insect plague is one of the main features that Anomen doesn't have, and I don't doubt its power. However, many spellcasters at high levels have protective magics or high magical resistance that can easily nulify the insect swarm, and this means someone has to cast lower resistance, pierce magic and such spells before Jaheira's insect plague. Normally, my fighters can gang up on those pesky mages ang hit'em before Jaheira unleashes her spell if the mage is not that hard, or the insect swarm do no damage at all if the mage is tough because he has already cast some sort of protective spell.
Enough said (I don't want to offend any of Jah's fans, however), insect plague is very useful in the earlier parts of the game, but in my opinion, in later parts, I prefer spells that take down spellcasters' defenses.

Kitty
Old 09-08-2001, 10:32 PM   #32
IrishHound
Dungeon Master

Sorry to burst your bubble, kitty, but magic defense spells don't protect against insect plague. Targets only save against the fear factor of it, beyond that, it's a sure thing.

------------------
To quote the pestering peasant, Neeber, of tradesmeet: "I killed a rabid rabbit! I'm experienced, now!"
Old 09-09-2001, 03:21 AM   #33
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Magic Resistance will nullify Insect Plague and Creeping Doom.

------------------
If not a Sorcerer, then a Paladin.

-------------------------
Baldur's Gate Item Mart
Old 09-09-2001, 08:00 PM   #34
Ace Flashheart
Manshoon

Anomen's star ability of course is how he balence out as an NPC. He is unique in that he can be a front line fighter and healer at the same time. In games I have played he has been my only fighter and at other times my only cleric and I have still managed to cut my way through as I would usually do with a more balenced party. One of the reasons I am such an advocate of Jahira is that when you progress into ToB her mulitclassed abilities will give her a better Thac0 than Anomen. However of the three I would suggest sticking with Anomen for now.
Old 09-09-2001, 09:28 PM   #35
mistral4543
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Hi, I've a question for all Anomen supporters.

:
:
:
:
:
At some point after he pasts the test, some messenger informs him that the murderer was Saerk after all (ie, his father was right). He charges off to the Bridge district even though he has a romance with female NPC.

So the question is, how do you get him back? (I tried the upper door of the Saerk estate, but could not proceed beyond the door at the end of the short corridor; in the meantime, carnage is taking place beyond the door).

Please, please, tell me, cos I am really anxious to get it right this time on my second go at SoA.

Thanks!!

Old 09-10-2001, 01:02 PM   #36
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

I'm not female so I can't answer your questions. It's a special quest which happens only if you're female and having a romance with Anomi.

Anomen's thaco is better than Jaheira.
Old 09-10-2001, 08:14 PM   #37
oldbittercraig
Elminster

sorry 'bout the double up... I only posted the message once.

honestly, I think Anomen is the powergamers cleric, but he's the one least used in my parties. I'd rather have a useful contributor of lesser power that I'm less likely to hack apart myself.
Old 09-11-2001, 04:31 AM   #38
Mahlennacht
Drow Warrior

I'd save Viconia for a later game - evil NPC's can be a little *tricky* to deal with in your party, you'll see...

Anomen's great IMO. I call him the "Scanner" - not because he's a scout or spotter, but named after the Cronenberg film. When he gets around level 16, 17 - he can be godlike around undead; I love watching him cast Sanctuary/Turn Undead and simultaneously explode 5 mummies... Hell, recently he's detonated a lich on two separate occasions.

[Keldorn is the only NPC that can wield you-know-what... + useful magic]

But Valygar is also excellent - You must have heard of Celestial Fury around here... very satisfying weapon to watch in action, and Valygar is already Specialized in katana. And knows how to dual-wield a pair of katanas. And can backstab 5x damage. Morose outlook on things, though; and with Jan yapping at him

*****If you're going to pick up Imoen later - consider dropping Jan if you get attached to your tank 6th member... Imoen is still a decent mage, and enough of a thief if you can find some items to help her out.
Old 09-13-2001, 06:46 PM   #39
Kitty
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by mistral4543:
Hi, I've a question for all Anomen supporters.

:
:
:
:
:
At some point after he pasts the test, some messenger informs him that the murderer was Saerk after all (ie, his father was right). He charges off to the Bridge district even though he has a romance with female NPC.

So the question is, how do you get him back? (I tried the upper door of the Saerk estate, but could not proceed beyond the door at the end of the short corridor; in the meantime, carnage is taking place beyond the door).

Please, please, tell me, cos I am really anxious to get it right this time on my second go at SoA.

Thanks!!

SPOILER
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
The carnage is between Anomen and Saerk's guards. Continue walkin until you reach a large room where Anomen is about to start a fight with Saerk Farrahd. At this moment te game will freeze and you'll have dialogue options; if you want to keep him, do your best to convince Anomen to give up taking vengeance on Saerk.

Old 09-13-2001, 07:34 PM   #40
Ace Flashheart
Manshoon

Jaheira's Thac0 does become better as she levels up as a fighter... to be honest in ToB it's worth choosing her over anomen just becuase of the advantages of insect plague and greater earth elemental summoning compared to summon deva (which is a less uesfull lvl 7 spell than regeneration).