Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 04-02-2003, 12:10 PM   #31
harleyquinn
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Gammit:
Hello all. Question for you. Today I showed my students' their third quarter grades, and one of them received a "D." He believes that the cause of this is because he keeps losing 5 points per test for not placing his hour on the top of the paper. Please note, this is a rule of my cooperating teacher (I'm just the student teacher), and so I'm abiding by this. My cooperating teacher says that he requires labels so he doesn't have to hunt through 150 papers to see where somebody's grade is. My question is this: do you think losing 5 points (per assignment) is fair for neglecting to properly label your work?

My thoughts
yes:
1.) I was required to put my name, the date, the hour, and the assignment on EVERYTHING that was turned in in high school.
2.) It IS a pain to look through class lists just to find where a paper belongs.
3.) You're only losing five points on a fifty-point test
4.) the real world isn't so forgiving, so...

no:
1.) it has caused some students to go from a B- to a C+ on a test, repeatedly
2.) losing points (academics) should probably be separated from behavior, if at all possible.

So again, what do you think? Sorry such a long post...
Gammit,
You should explain to the student the flaw in his logic. Losing points on the tests may result in getting a 45/50 (or 90%) but if he was excelling at all his other work, then he could still pull off an A (unless 90% is no longer an A).
It's kinda like my brother who said he failed out of college because his gym teacher gave him a D. He didn't seem to think the fact that he failed his English and Math classes because he didn't do the work factored into it. In his mind, it was because he got a D in gym.
Better he learn to buckle down now in school before he gets out there into college and learns what not following instructions can really result in.
Also, I don't think not putting the header on the document is a behavior issue, it's an issue with not learning to follow directions and not learning to learn from his mistakes. I could see it happening once or twice, but after that, he should be responsible enough to take the extra 3 seconds to make sure it's on his paper so as not to lose the points.
I hope you and the other teacher stick to your guns. The student needs to learn to take responsibility for his own actions and not blame them on you two.
Old 04-02-2003, 12:53 PM   #32
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

'Lo All. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] Kinda busy today. End of month billing. HarleyQuinn, I spent about $5300 on Westlaw in one day. [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img] Can you believe that?
Old 04-02-2003, 01:15 PM   #33
WillowIX
Apophis

Hello all. Have been quite busy a couple of days now with cleaning and laundry. Phaaw! You should consider yourselves lucky I wasn´t in here while doing all this. I would probably have flamed you all out of frustration and boredom. LOL.

*snicker* Timber, it would be so great if Lady Z added Arnold to her sig as kung-fu girl. You have way too much time on your hands to think such things up. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Hello Attalus. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] I hope everything is fine with you and the family. I´m sure you are enjoying your warm weather with some nice gardening. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-02-2003, 01:20 PM   #34
harleyquinn
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
'Lo All. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] Kinda busy today. End of month billing. HarleyQuinn, I spent about $5300 on Westlaw in one day. [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img] Can you believe that?
Hell, for 1/2 of that I woulda done the research for you here [img]tongue.gif[/img] (just kidding in case anyone from West is reading this!!!)
Old 04-02-2003, 01:43 PM   #35
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Quote:
Originally posted by Sigmar:
Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
And why is that ?
I'm Guessing Cerek hosts his sig.[/QUOTE]Got it in one, Sigmar. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Willow, we are all peachy here. Galadria has big plans for herbs, a patio, and a swingset fgor Will, so we shall be busy, outside. Yesterday, cleaned all of the winter debris out of his sanbox and trucked in some more sand.
Old 04-02-2003, 03:27 PM   #36
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
Willow, we are all peachy here. Galadria has big plans for herbs, a patio, and a swingset fgor Will, so we shall be busy, outside. Yesterday, cleaned all of the winter debris out of his sanbox and trucked in some more sand.
Sounds good. pring has hit us up here as well. Beautiful weather and I´m finally able to spend all days outside. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Bardan, if you check the cafe. What is a "smnoooch"?

Cloudy, I hope work isn´t all that bad. I also hope you finally got rid of all your colds. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-02-2003, 03:34 PM   #37
Elif Godson
Dracolich

Thanks y'all [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] will have to see about Stealthy's
Have a good day, I may just be getting a promo at work that will hlep out substancially since my wife can no longer work.
Old 04-02-2003, 04:31 PM   #38
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

Evening everyone. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I would order a beer, but i'm getting ahead of myself. *ticks off the 365 day countdown till 'B-day.'

I have such simple plans for the future. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-02-2003, 06:23 PM   #39
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Quote:
Originally posted by Elif Godson:
Thanks y'all [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] will have to see about Stealthy's
Have a good day, I may just be getting a promo at work that will hlep out substancially since my wife can no longer work.
Elif, I must have missed your post. Congrats on the new family member, and the promotion.
Willow, Spring is my favorite time of the year, as well. You should see the wisteria bush in the side yard. It is so laden with blossom that the branches are bending down.
Old 04-02-2003, 06:58 PM   #40
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Light Bulb

Good night, IWF. Until tomorrow. [img]graemlins/toilet.gif[/img]