Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-27-2002, 12:40 PM   #11
Lord Shield

Of course loads of Gods' names are used in games. Was just referencing the Thanatos one, that's all

Hades had a hell of a time with those revolving doors. "Of course you can take her, Orpheus - just DON'T LOOK BACK!!!! *Hades sniggers evilly*

Old 01-27-2002, 12:42 PM   #12
Sir Exxon
Zartan

quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
Byronas, believe me I know what I'm talking about. Hades, as it is spelled in English, is indeed the brother of Zeus, god of the Underworld and husband to Persephone, but Thanatos *is* the personification of Death and the God of Death as well.

Just like Selene is the (lesser) goddess of the moon (the one who rides the chariot of the moon during the night) while Artemis is also the goddess of the moon (and hunt, and chastity). The same goes for Apollo and Helios. Just like Aphrodite is the goddess of beauty and love, and yet Eros is the god of love as well.

There can be more than one, obviously. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Edit: incidentally, as you probably know, Hades is not only the name of the God, but also of his residence. The underworld is also called Hades.

[ 01-27-2002: Message edited by: Melusine ]

Phew, yo just keep getting more and more surprisive!

see ya!
Old 01-27-2002, 12:42 PM   #13
Melusine
Dracolisk

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Shield:
Of course loads of Gods' names are used in games. Was just referencing the Thanatos one, that's all

Hades had a hell of a time with those revolving doors. "Of course you can take her, Orpheus - just DON'T LOOK BACK!!!! *Hades sniggers evilly*

ROTFL!! Revolving doors??? LOL LOL now *that* is evil... 'don't look back now, Orpheus! Oops, darn revolving door!' [img]graemlins/evillaughter2.gif[/img]
Old 01-27-2002, 12:43 PM   #14
Sir Byronas
Mephistopheles

MY GOD [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img] ! Mel, your knowledge is beyond anyone's mind! You put me in my position. I wish all the children in Greece knew so much about our history. Bur they want to forget and that makes me feel sad cause if we don't remember our history we will finally forget who we are and that is really bad ...
Old 01-27-2002, 12:48 PM   #15
Lord Shield

To be honest, Mythology and History are 2 separate things

I doubt you could give me a historical reference to Orpheus looking back and his love disappearing back into Hades' realm, or to Heracles defeating the Nemean Lion

Having said that, the existence of the religion ITSELF is a part of the history

Old 01-27-2002, 12:56 PM   #16
Melusine
Dracolisk

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Shield:
To be honest, Mythology and History are 2 separate things

Doh, LS, I don't think Byronas was implying the contrary at all. You have to admit that Greek Mythology is a part of their history, and therefore his use of the term history is perfectly acceptable.

Oh and Byronas, thanks [img]smile.gif[/img] I've always loved mythology, and yours (the Greek one I mean) is the first I ever came across as a kid. Even got bullied for knowing so much about it.... guess that pays off later though, huh?

But I agree, it's a shame when people forget about these things. My boyfriend tells me it's stupid to expect people to know such things, but to me, a basic knowledge of the world, including religion and mythology, is just common sense and common knowledge. I mean, I expect no one to know the Greek pantheon by heart, but I also find it strange when people haven't even heard of the most important of the Greek Gods...

Edit: When I studied English, it amazed me how limited most of my fellow students' knowledge of Antiquity and the Bible was. You'd think that to understand the majority of English poetry, you'd have to have at least *Some* knowledge of them, but no. It's very frustrating to be in a class discussing a great poem and having to stop every minute because people don't understand a single mythological reference... [img]graemlins/idontagreeatall.gif[/img]

[ 01-27-2002: Message edited by: Melusine ]

Old 01-27-2002, 12:59 PM   #17
Lord Shield

What I liked were the parallels between pantheons. The Greek and Roman mythology had same roles but different names, e.g., Ares=Mars, Hermes=Mercury

Old 01-27-2002, 02:44 PM   #18
Sir ReGiN
Gold Dragon

Well, I guess nobody cares about us up north then
'Come on Tor, let go off Loke, and let's go..nobody wants us here anyway '

[ 01-27-2002: Message edited by: Sir ReGiN ]

Old 01-27-2002, 02:50 PM   #19
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Yup, and Hades the cold underworld is divided into 3 (I think) sections, one of which is called Tartarus, and (as everyone knows) is guarded by the 3 headed dog Cerberus at the river Styx.
Old 01-27-2002, 02:54 PM   #20
Melusine
Dracolisk

quote:
Originally posted by Sir ReGiN:
Well, I guess nobody cares about us up north then
'Come on Tor, let go off Loke, and let's go..nobody wants us here anyway '

Awwwwww but I do!!! I always loved that story about the giant (isn't the norse name for giants jotun? [img]graemlins/confused2.gif[/img] ) called Thrym who stole Thor's hammer Mjöllnir and Loke thought of a way to get it back? So they told Thrym that Freya wanted to marry him if he gave Mjöllnir back in return , but sent Thor dressed up as Freya instead. The giants had this big feast, and Thrym was so surprised that "Freya" could eat such an amount of meat and drink so much wine. But Loke assured him that all women in love were like that. Then Thrym pulled "her" on his lap for a little kiss, and Freya's eyes started glowing like coals in the hearth. Thrym got frightened, but again Loke assured him that it was just the way a woman in love behaved. Then Thrym got out Mjöllnir as per the agreement, but as soon as he gave it to "freya" she pulled off her disguise and bashed all the giants over the head with it!! LOL
Always loved that story. [img]smile.gif[/img] I also really like the Norse myth about the creation of the world, with the giant Ymir and the big cow (Audhumla?)