Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2001, 04:16 PM   #1
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

Hello all!

I was just looking for a little guidance here. I've been playing BG2 quite a bit (as well as BG1 in the past) and I'm now thinking of playing Icewind Dale as a follow-up. Is it worth it, or would it be like taking a step backwards? Is there enough uniqueness to the story to keep me entertained after being immersed in BG2 for such a long time? Thanks!

I'd especially like to hear from individuals who have played both games...

------------------

Now where did I leave that doughnut?!
Throntar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 06:14 PM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I own both, and enjoy both. There are similarities and differences in IWD/HoW (compared to the BG saga) that make it just as enjoyable.

Granted, it is smaller in game playing hours, but equally as fun.
It is not a step foward or backward...just more of what you love to do...

------------------

Larry, apprentice to whoever will take me in the OHF

[This message has been edited by Larry_OHF (edited 05-01-2001).]
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 07:06 PM   #3
Glycerine
Manshoon

Icewind Dale is alot like the old Gold Box game Pool of Radiance. You create a full party of 6 characters and then embark on different types of quests. Most of the game consists of alot of hack and slash, but it is still very fun.

Glycerine
Glycerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 09:34 PM   #4
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

I have BG 2. Being stupid, I purchased it from the website when it first came out. So I have the Bonus CD and stuff. I can say tell you without hesitation that BG2 is not on my computer, IWD is. I enjoy IWD a great deal more than BG or BG2. As a matter of fact I never went much past the castle with the trolls and Golems in BG2. BG, though I've played it alot, I have also never finished. The game always locked up in Baldur's Gate and it was always just after a save. Where I could do only one thing to continue with the game. Hence it is uninstalled. I have no interest in either BG or BG2 at this time. Maybe in the future I will. But IWD and the HoW addon are good and I enjoy them alot. They are worth it to me. With the forthcoming release of the Dungeon pack for IWD/HoW
I look forward to more fun with it.
Wulfere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 10:05 PM   #5
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

I was a BG2 addict -- played the game through 7 or 8 times before finally deciding to buy IWD and HOW.

First, the package of both IWD and HOW will be more satisfying if you are used to BG2. HOW adds the wider angle screen shot that BG2 has. IWD is stuck with the same screen as BG.

Second, I like creating my own party. I can add variety and see how it works. Yes, I miss the NPC's, but there are enough items in the game so that your adventure never quite repeats itself.

Finally, IWD and HOW are much more hack-n-slash. That isn't bad. There are some tough fights, but the intellectual strategy isn't there. I miss the puzzles and riddles of BG2. HOW does have more of an intellectual side than IWD, but it's not BG2.

I plan on playing IWD and HOW through a few times more (3-4 times total). It is a very satisfying game and I'd recommend it. But I have to admit that after finishing it once, I'm just buying time until ToB comes out .

------------------
Most Subtle Official Straightman of the Laughing Hyenas -- Grammarian Brigade.
Father Bronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 10:16 PM   #6
Balgin
Elminster

IWD is rather like BG but with stupidly big quest xp awards to get you on quickly to fight tougher monsters at a rediculously fast rate of expansion. HOW changes all of the character graphics to BG2 graphics (this unfortunately means that they flip whenever they turn round and shields teleport onto the right arm whenever their facing left etc, however it also fixes the morningstar graphics bug so now they have chains too (just like the historical ones)). HOW also implements many BG2 features into IWD. Many people complain that HOW was too small but at least it lets you play IWD BG2 style (if that's what you like).

------------------
Balgin, the Dwarf
Balgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 10:45 PM   #7
Glycerine
Manshoon

...and let's not forget the FREE addon they are going to release on the web.

Glycerine
Glycerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 01:07 PM   #8
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

Thanks for all your inputs folks!

I think that perhaps I'll purchase IWD after my most recent go'round in BG2 and see if I like it (sounds like I will as I thoroughly enjoy hack 'n slash). If I do, I will purchase the HoW expansion.

Thanks again!

------------------

Now where did I leave that doughnut?!
Throntar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2001, 12:56 AM   #9
Greadius
The Magister

Hopefully I'm not to late...

After playing BG and BG2, I went back to IWD. I was truly disapointed. I played through it once and haven't had the temptation to play it again since.

Mainly was the hack'n'slash thing that was mentioned. Its not a little more hack'n'slash. Its not alot more hack'n'slash. IWD is ALL hack'n'slash. The onyl thing that breaks the hack'n'slash are short story interludes (the story is very good by the way) that lead to more...hack and slashing.

Plus most of the game is in tight dungeons that run on for level and level of monsters standing there waiting for something to do. Every room has more. The game is really nto multidimensional like BG and Bg2. There is one course you go through, sidequests are short and rare. I really missed the personality of the NPC's in and outside of the party, since 95% of the game everything that was alive wanted to kill you.

If that is what you enjoy, you'll love the game, but I'm not a big enough fan of D&D, especially second edition, to go through countless battles in this game. The storyline is real good though, but a dozen endless dungeons just don't stack up to the BG games in my opinion.
Greadius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2001, 08:32 AM   #10
Row Firecam
Dungeon Master

I bought IWD before BG2 and I didn't go back until recently, after I finished BG2.

------------------
:knightsmile:

Keldorn's Younger brother
Row Firecam is offline   Reply With Quote