Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2001, 07:43 PM   #1
Aurican
Elminster

Tell me if this is even possible and how I could go about doing it.

A discussion in the RPG novel forum made me think about the Cleric Quintet series and a character in it. I decided I wanted to try to make a firbolg class.

Basically what it is is a Human fighter that can shapeshift into a giant form. I liked the fire giant from IWD, Iwanted to use the giant with the sword instead of the big hammer. There is nothing special about the fighter other than this. He can't go above 18/00 strength in human form, but when shifted he can go to 23 or something like that, his dex is kinda dropped due to extreme size. I thought a character like this would have great role playing potential.

So, questions, comments, suggestions. I really want to try to get this thing rolling.

------------------
Can an elf get a break anywhere these days?
Old 04-05-2001, 02:56 AM   #2
Aurican
Elminster

BUMP
Old 04-05-2001, 03:03 AM   #3
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Aurican:
Tell me if this is even possible and how I could go about doing it.

A discussion in the RPG novel forum made me think about the Cleric Quintet series and a character in it. I decided I wanted to try to make a firbolg class.

Basically what it is is a Human fighter that can shapeshift into a giant form. I liked the fire giant from IWD, Iwanted to use the giant with the sword instead of the big hammer. There is nothing special about the fighter other than this. He can't go above 18/00 strength in human form, but when shifted he can go to 23 or something like that, his dex is kinda dropped due to extreme size. I thought a character like this would have great role playing potential.

So, questions, comments, suggestions. I really want to try to get this thing rolling.

what about armor restrictions?
weapon restrictions? I dont think he should be as powerful as a berserker before shifting, right?
to tell the truth, a shapshift into giant along is awestriking sight, good luck man! ohh, by the way, there is a hammar does +7 vs giant kin, would it apply to this kit?

Old 04-05-2001, 03:08 AM   #4
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

also, how about:

lvl 10, shapshift into hill giant
lvl 13, .............. frostgiant
lvl 16, firegiant
lvl 19, cloud giant
lvl 22, Titan!! (cap remove, of course)

Titan along can battle a dragon? giants and dragons raid each other in dawn of time, you know?

[This message has been edited by 250 (edited 04-05-2001).]
Old 04-05-2001, 03:34 AM   #5
Aurican
Elminster

I really didn't think about the stats, I just wanted a fighter that could polymorph into a firbolg that looks like a fire giant... I guess he'd have a good natural ac with only leather armors, any weapons except small stuff like daggers and slings, all missile weapons would prob be dumb for a giant... I just can't figure out how to intergrate BAMs into BGII.

------------------
Old 04-05-2001, 01:30 PM   #6
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

I don't know as much about programing as many who are on this forum, but from what little I do know, you are in for a tough time of things. You could probably edit your character enough so that you have the ability to polymorph into a giant, and have your stats change when you do, but to actualy see your character change would be very difficult. Graphic programming like that is pretty difficult. Also, by the way, I think that the Firbolgs are naturally small giants, and they polymorph into human form, not vice versa.

Very cool idea though. I think it would be a blast to play. Aren't firbolgs traditionally of evil alignment? Not that it would be to big a problem, just curious.

------------------
Tremble and despair, for I am power! All here are now judged, and are found wanting.
Old 04-05-2001, 04:42 PM   #7
Aurican
Elminster

Yes, thank you Milamber, I know that. I thought it would be much easier starting as a human than starting as a giant.

Information on Firbolg

Firbolg appear to be normal humans, except that they are over 10 feet tall and weigh over 800 pounds. They wear their hair long and keep great, thick beards. Their skin is a normal fleshy pink, with any shade of hair color, although blonde and red are most common.

Combat
Firblogs can use any large size weapons; they disdain the use of armor or shields. They prefer huge greatswords and halberds (damage 1d12). Firbolgs are cautious and crafty. If possible they avoid an encounter, either by hiding or with deception. If forced to fight, they do so with great strategy, utilizing the terrain and situation to best effect.
Deflect Missiles (Ex): If a firbolg has one hand free, it can bat away up to two missiles per round. Large missiles, such as boulders, or those with long shafts, such as javelins and spears, can be caught with the rock catching abilities. A bat is successful if the firbolg makes a Reflex saving throw against DC of 12 (if the ranged weapon has a magical bonus to attack, the DC increases by that amount). If you succeed, you deflect the missile. You must be aware of the attack and not flat-footed. Attempting to deflect a ranged missile doesn’t count as an action.
Spell-like Abilities: Once per day a firbolg can detect magic, reduce, alter self, and daze as cast by a 15th-level sorcerer. Save DC is 12+ spell level.
Skills: Firbolg receive a +8 racial bonus on their rock catching ability.

------------------