Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 06:33 PM   #1
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Default 4E Forgotten Realms + The Spellplague is coming

I am hugely disappointed that WotC has decided to move the Forgotten Realms in the 4th Edition in a way that resets a LOT of stuff. (many think WotC is ruining it for their shitty Eberron crappy world) but I just finished the latest Drizzt Novel that came out this last Month, and I was not happy with the ending--

Spoiler for At the end of The Orc King...:
At the Epilogue, Drizzt and a new friend are sitting on a hill looking towards Mithril Hall, and he talks about the decision Bruenor made A CENTURY AGO with the Orcs. Was it the right one? And how the Spellplague changed the face of the World. So is 4E FR going to mean Catti-bre, Regis, Wolfgar and other human lifespan characters are now gone? yep. That ending left me shocked, and pissed off.

We don't need a reset button. And from what I hear, this Spellplague is going to kill off ALL Wizards, including most of the Gods of FR. (And all the Chosen). This could change--as they are still working on 4E, but LOADS of folks are mad, and letting WotC know. It won't be the Forgotten Realms without all the people we've come to know.

I know that mid next year, the first 4E FR Novel will be out, and it'll take place in 1476 or something. (100 years later).
The next Drizzt Novel will be 4E. (current FR time is 1376-7)

I know, I know, its not like the Authors can't choose a time-line they want to write in, but it may be forced, to 'showoff' the new 4E crap...

Even the CREATOR isn't that happy with this. Ed Greenwood. Oh, don't worry, Elminster still lives he says. lol....
I do understand it allows 100 years for new badguys and new gods to create their areas and stuff, but come on... WotC is just wanting a reason to sell more resource books. Didn't they JUST redo the FR logo a few years ago?

In any event, I plan on continuing my NWN Mod at the current time-line, the Dragon Rage is nearly finished. 1375 /8...

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 06:32 AM   #2
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Default Re: 4E Forgotten Realms + The Spellplague is coming

To make matters worse, I don't know how many of you actually read the new changes for 4E, but in my opinion, almost all of them are dumbing down, making the game more streamlined for the twitch kiddies who don't have patience to actually read the rules.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:11 AM   #3
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Very Angry Re: 4E Forgotten Realms + The Spellplague is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrKASperov View Post
To make matters worse, I don't know how many of you actually read the new changes for 4E, but in my opinion, almost all of them are dumbing down, making the game more streamlined for the twitch kiddies who don't have patience to actually read the rules.
Yep, saw that too. What the hell is it with all this dumbing down of EVERYTHING these days? Do game devs think this generation of young people are dumb as hell, and can't sit still for 2 mins? That is so damn stupid..

And here I thought the human race was advancing. If things keep going the way they are, next generations kids will be graduating school in 5th grade.... bah... It's frankly insulting.
I *LIKE* a challenge. I *LIKE* learning. Too many kids on Prozac I think..

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 10:58 AM   #4
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

You know, universities have been complaining for some while now that new students are becoming worse and worse.

Also, most of the critiques of 3.5 I have heard so far can be contributed to one of two things:
-Bad DM.
-Bad (munchkin) players.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:08 AM   #5
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

So where can I find a rundown of 4e? Did it all happen in novels or is this just a sudden WoTC campaign change accompanied by a new FR corebook? I mean, it sounds interesting...I like change but this is quite fast considering they only advanced FR a few years ago. Oh hf course Elminster lives (and Drizzt too hehe), just a pity Ed can't write one good novel about Elminster though - worst $7 I ever spent. Jeff Grubb handled Elminster alot better with his cameo in Azure Bonds, and the Tablets of Fate series gave justice to him also.

I agree about the there being no need to dumb D&D down. That's what D&D is, complicated. Wonderfully complicated and intricate so as to cater to all situations. Otherwise we'd all be playing cards.

P.S. I hope Eberron burns in a cloud of neo-tech steam.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:55 AM   #6
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Actually, 4E will change all world in the sense that greyhawk and eberron will be axed as far as I know, and the FR will be the standard setting for all games. This also means a lot of the FR gods will have to die due to "too much choice" according to wizards...
Old 10-13-2007, 12:14 PM   #7
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

So I guess Eberron didn't do so well for them to be axing it? Even despite all that pushing it on people who wanted nothing to do with it. Greyhawk is no surpise though, as not many play the campaign (IIRC it's like Dragonlance, great novels but few campaigns).
Old 10-13-2007, 12:56 PM   #8
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Funny thing is, they are importing the "good" stuff from Eberon, like the Warforged. That was a cool concept for characters.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:21 PM   #9
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

<font color=skyblue>I knew none of this! What is going on with my beloved Forgotten Realms?!?! </font>
Old 10-18-2007, 02:38 AM   #10
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

It's being raped. I read the new "grand history of the realms" in a store, and it tells us Cyric killed Mystra with the help of Shar.... Taking canon in the behind anyone? Ao would never let that happen based on his actions in the Avatar series... All the good deities did were banish him for 1000 years to some prison plane...