Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2003, 06:12 AM   #11
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by LordKathen:
I think that there is a differance between accent and dialect. I think aussies have the coolest dialect of them all. Within the US, we have a large variety of accents, but only one dialect. At least thats how I look at it, I could be wrong.
You're right there's a difference between dialects and accents, however that is not it. What you are talking about are still accents. Am in a hurry now so no elaboration, just my nitpicking moment of the day (and it's not even nitpicking, really - it's quite a difference between the two)
Old 01-21-2003, 09:13 AM   #12
Epona
Zartan

Interesting topic LB!

I am very aware that in the UK we have a myriad of different accents - I grew up in a small village, and our village had a different accent to other nearby villages - they were all slightly different. For example, a village near where I lived was called Gomshall. In my village, Chilworth, we pronounced it 'Gomshall' whereas Gomshall natives pronounced it 'Gumpshaw'. So even within the space of a few miles there are differences in accent.

I now live in London. I don't have a London accent, although hearing people speak I can usually tell whether they are native to different areas of London. Accents in South London are slightly different to those in the East End where I live for example. Someone from another country may not be able to pick up on the subtle differences between the two.

One thing I have noticed, is that Scottish and Irish accents are miles apart, and sentence construction, idioms etc. are different - yet sometimes people from other English speaking areas of the world are hugely confused and cannot tell where a Scotsman or an Irishman are from by listening to them speak, whereas to me it's blatently obvious.

I particularly like local idioms. A footpath running between buildings, I would call an 'alley' or 'alleyway'. In the county of Sussex, it is a 'twitten'.
Old 01-21-2003, 10:03 AM   #13
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

And let's not start on Kiwi accents.

Old 01-21-2003, 10:17 AM   #14
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

The standard TV announcer in the USA speaks with a so-called "Midwestern" accent. I have always heard that Brits have the keenest ears of all for accents, and can tell your birthplace and socioeconomic status by them after a few sentences. By what Epona say, I guess that is true.I have to rely on Galadria, and she goes mostly by their shoes.
Old 01-21-2003, 10:20 AM   #15
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

Personally i dont understand how people develop accents because I've been around so many differint once I have no accent.
Old 01-21-2003, 10:26 AM   #16
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Ah, DK, but you have an American accent, one that would be immediately apparent to an Englishman, for example. Lord knows, I have heard them make fun of mine often enough.
Old 01-21-2003, 10:32 AM   #17
WillowIX
Apophis

And then there´s the Canadian accent, regarded as mix between American and English accent. [img]graemlins/idontagreeatall.gif[/img] I find it somewhat strange that so many people have difficulties in recognising it. Of course all Englishmen I´ve spoken to dismissed the idea I was an American and suggested Canada very quickly. And approximately 60 miles south a roof is pronounced "rough" and a pop is called soda. You crazy Americans.
Old 01-21-2003, 11:43 AM   #18
Horatio
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by WillowIX:
You crazy Americans.
Hear hear!

I've always grow up around London. When I started my teens I was speaking to my friends in the common grunt-language adopted by adolescents at the time, and now that I've moved to the East-End I don't ahve to change it [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-21-2003, 11:56 AM   #19
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Horatio:
quote:
Originally posted by WillowIX:
You crazy Americans.
Hear hear!

I've always grow up around London. When I started my teens I was speaking to my friends in the common grunt-language adopted by adolescents at the time, and now that I've moved to the East-End I don't ahve to change it [img]tongue.gif[/img]
[/QUOTE]Whereas we in the North of London are naturally more superior and speak in a more refined, clipped accent.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 01-21-2003, 12:04 PM   #20
Horatio
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Donut, ya rich toff! [img]tongue.gif[/img]