Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-25-2002, 03:01 AM   #1
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

As many of you know, I was approached with an offer to buy the NAME of 'Ironworks Gaming'. (Just the Name, not the content and stuff), and When I told all my friends here, they said 'ask for at least a Million for it.

At the time, I was blinded by all these larger figures, and looking back at that, I don't know why I listened to them, a MILLION for a name? (Maybe if I was named CNN or something)

So I told these people that wanted to buy the name to make me an offer--They did: $4.000. I said "no thanks" and told them I was not interested at that figure.

So, as time went by, I got them up to $45,000K (BIG leap from 4,000K huh? [img]smile.gif[/img]

Anyway, as these past 6 weeks have gone by, I have been a busy bee. Here is what I decided:

I have (After a VERY long time) thought it out, and have decided to sell the NAME 'Ironworks Gaming'. (As I said, JUST the name, not the website content in ANY way).

I came to this decision by the current finances I am currently in, and to tell you the truth, I am losing money on the site, and NEED this to continue the Forum and Websites. So here is what I have done:

I have copyrighted and trademarked 2 names and logos (Soon to be opened), they are:

www.escapeforums.com and www.escapegaming.com
The 'Escape' part is a play on words off of my 'Original' website, "The Great Escape" at www.tgeweb.com.

What will become of the web domains www.ironworksgaming.com and www.ironworksforum.com? They will both be turned over to the purchaser when the contract is completed soon, and here is what will happen:

www.ironworksforum.com will become www.escapeforums.com ... and:
www.ironworksgaming.com will become www.escapegaming.com (Or/Also)
www.tgeweb.com/escapegaming/index.shtml

I will KEEP the www.tgeweb.com domain name.

To make this transition go more smoothly, I have BOTH domain names already set up and ready to go. Same IP address as well.

When the change-over happens, I will send out an email a few days before it happens, and give you the info. The info (new URL) are listed above, so if you want, go ahead and bookmark www.escapeforums.com now.

(www.escapegaming.com will simply forward you to www.tgeweb.com/escapegaming/index.shtml)

It should switch over easily. The only thing other than bookmarking the new URL is that if WE host your Sig image, you will need to change the URL from www.ironworksforum.com/xxx/xxx.gif to www.escapeforums.com/xxx/xxx.gif
The directory structure will remain the same.

With this large payment, I will be able to buy another server, and open up a dedicated NWN server, and even buy another faster PC for the Forum! I am also thinking of getting my home wired up, and host the servers HERE at HOME, instead of at my friends ISP.

Also, I plan to fix up the house a bit, pay off some of my Medical bills (catch up on them) and leave the rest in the bank and invest some.

I'll tell you who is buying the name, and what plans they will use the name for after the changeover.

But just remember, it's only the NAME that is changing. Same 'look' and feel of the Websites will stay the same!! With the exception of a new name and graphic logo.

The change-over won't take place for a few weeks, I'm sure. but BOOKMARK THIS URL ASP!

www.escapeforums.com

Even if you forget, all 10,000+ members will get an email giving you the scoop on what happened, and the new URL.

I hope you guys don't think I am a 'sell-out'. We REALLY need this money.
We can soon go from 'Ironworker's' to 'Escapees!!!' or an 'Escaper'

It's come full circle! Back to The Great Escape! Just remember, with this payout, we will be able to stay up for at LEAST another 5-10 years!

I just dread remaking ALL those logos... heheh.. I'm working on those now!

More soon folks! Hope you understand, and stick with us!!

[ 09-25-2002, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: Ziroc ]

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 09-25-2002, 03:18 AM   #2
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Our logo for GD can now be:

Escape...to the Great Escape

Sounds good! Names change, but the forum will always be the forum. We call call ourselves the Escape Artists Supremes.

Old 09-25-2002, 03:24 AM   #3
Sorcerer Alex

Excellent, Ziroc. Well done on getting them up to $45,000 - you did a fantastic job, and I don't blame you in the slightest for doing what you did. You want to keep running the site and be able to live comfortably for a while, and now you can do both. Names don't mean anything, they're just a jumble of letters. The whole Ironworks 'feeling' can't be bought - for any money [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-25-2002, 03:25 AM   #4
J.J.
Symbol of Cyric

[img]graemlins/lightning.gif[/img]

[img]graemlins/homer.gif[/img]

[img]graemlins/cheer.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/cheers.gif[/img]

Congratulations, Dan, that is some AWESOME good news, I'm very glad that things have worked out for you so well, you definitely deserve it.

The way I figure it, that means that all the blood, sweat, and RAM you put into the great escape and IW has come out to be about an income that has managed to pay you roughly 70% of prevailing minimum wage thru these years!

Let's hear it for capitalism and the American Way!!!!!!!! Ow, think I just bit the tongue placed firmly in my cheek.

Was just leasing the name copywright ever a factor in the discussions, or feasible to do? Enquiring minds want to know, doncha know....
Good onya, mate, and don't forget to think about FIXED securities like a Super-7 or SPDA (single premium deferred annuity) for that escape nest egg. Remember, no variable annuity instruments, those moving parts tend to intersect on the most delicate part of your.....balance. lololol have fun, and hi to everybody going to the first (and last!) IW forum mini-con. Wouldn't you know I would miss out on the collector's edition first and last issue of that one [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img]

and my mummy says he is not available at the /ubb/noncqi/mummy.gif addy, and yes, i retained the img tags, any ideas?

[ 09-25-2002, 04:19 AM: Message edited by: J.J. ]

Amanda, Kyleia, and Kathleen\'s Dad-Best Damn Job, Period.

Official procrastinator of the O.L.D. C.O.O.T.S. Clan
unOfficial Homeopathic Quacktitioner of the IW Realm
Old 09-25-2002, 03:25 AM   #5
Dagorion
Red Wizard of Thay

*Sniff* *sniff* Its great that you are getting all this money and we will be able to have a full time NWN server but this place (or should I say the new one) just wont be the same without the name Ironworks, I will have to get used to the idea of saying EG instead of IW.

Only 5-10 years? I don’t know if I will still be coming here in 5 years but if I am I wouldn’t know what to do with myself without Iron… er, Escape Gaming around.
Old 09-25-2002, 03:26 AM   #6
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Our logo for GD can now be:

Escape...to the Great Escape

Sounds good! Names change, but the forum will always be the forum. We call call ourselves the Escape Artists Supremes.
Sounds good to me!!

I am also planning to totally revamp the webarea that is currently at:
www.tgeweb.com/ironworks/index.shtml ..

I am going to condense the area a bit--it's gotten out of control for just 1 person (me) to handle, so what I am planning is making 'Escape Gaming' focus on these things:

* Latest CRPG Gaming News.
* CRPG Modding and Sources (3D Modeling, Art, Textures and more).
* Quick Help -- Cleaned up 1 page support for each CRPG I have support for.
* Other stuff -- Release Dates, Reviews (I REALLY need to get back to that).

It'll allow me to maintain the site, and have time to add news and reviews and focus on Modding and stuff as well.

... And the Forum? Well, it'll remain the same old friend we all like, with more stuff to be added as usual! [img]smile.gif[/img]

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 09-25-2002, 03:31 AM   #7
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I'm cool.
And glad to hear you getting a fist full of cash!
Old 09-25-2002, 03:33 AM   #8
sageridder
Drizzt Do'Urden

I think you did the right thing.It's not the name but the people I love.
Trust is indeed a shiny jewel,set in the stone of friendship.And much like any other stone can be use to crush the skulls of those unsuspecting.To clear the path for me to claim my rightful place as master of all I survey.

Play games win prizes completely free. http://teet.net/af/bd395b7216
So far I've won an 8gb ipod nano and an acer inspire netbook
Old 09-25-2002, 03:34 AM   #9
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

Congrats Ziroc!

I certaintly dont think your a sell out, its just a name after all..If you sold the actual content, maybe.. But we all know youd never do that

Well soon there will not only be ancient blue boaders, there will be the old IWers too!
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge
Old 09-25-2002, 03:44 AM   #10
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

45K for the name ONLY...WOW!!!!!!!

I am all okay with that move, after all you do need the extra funds to run this site.

Just one question: Will the members and their respective ranks retainmed in new forum/board? (Sorry, I don't know much about UBB rules and regulations)

[ 09-25-2002, 03:51 AM: Message edited by: Paladin2000 ]