Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Roleplaying > Ironworks Online Roleplaying
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 11:37 AM   #201
Cyril Darkcloud
Lord Soth

ZFR, your biographical references for Xaver are fine and you can feel free to keep them. The important thing is to keep in mind that the FR setting is not the setting of this game but can be understood as one of several regions which are somehow connected to the region of this game, much like places where someone is "from." Alternatively you can think of the game world here as being a mixture of diffrent settings and of your charcter as being from a part of the world that includes those elements. *

Assuming the shift in spell choice is not a trade secret you can simply post a note of the change in the OOC thread and then edit your character description post to reflect your current list.

* NOTE - This is why we want to be careful with mapping locations. We can readily accomodate places such as the Spine of the World Mountains into a character's history. But we cannot so easily assign them a place on a map in the gameworld without creating incredible confusion should we attempt that for every location referenced from different settings as part of character's story.

[ 05-25-2006, 11:48 AM: Message edited by: Cyril Darkcloud ]
Old 05-25-2006, 12:20 PM   #202
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Right then, Xaver substitutes Cure Critical for Neutralize Poison as level 4 spell.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:46 PM   #203
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyril Darkcloud:
If I can attach a quick rider to Larry's statement:

Try to avoid using something from the Forgotten Realms as your location. This is a unique gameworld that makes use of elements of different settings and sytsems (much like IW itself) and we'd like to minimize dependence on any specific setting.

Second, keep in mind that specific mapping of the area is not a straightforward process as we have many areas that cannot be easily mapped in relation to the OEW or to Lockesville. It will be much better to simply indicate general directions of travel and to indicate distances as long or short than to attempt specific distances. Rememnber the setting of the games is the world of the Forums and that does not translate easily to traditional mapping.

Larry, we need to keep in mind that the OEW is not the only point of reference to things in the game and it is far from being the most important.
Point 1: About the FR and OEW part of the story...

I cannot help that Larry Silverfall comes from a game called One-Eyed Wolf, and that the tavern was in Amn from Baulder's Gate. That was the way it was made before we had a gaming forum. As correctly mentioned above, the actual game world cannot be described because it is considered being played right here on Ironworks as though Ironworks was a land and the forums were places in that land. Different books, games (like NWN), and even mythology is mixed into Lord of the Forums. It is a hybrid of many different ideas, and I have never claimed it was dependent on any one idea, nor does it even obey one version of D&D rules. People have asked how that is possible, but our longevity proves itself without needing to explain it to them.
The fact that the OEW is a part of Larry's history cannot be taken out of the character and that is why I make mention of it so much. My references from time to time to OEW should not be mistaken as any claim to Lord of the Forums being dependent on One-Eyed Wolf. I have never been so foolish as to make that claim, on purpose anyway. If somebody has understood it that way, let me now say that the only relation to LoF and OEW is that Larry Silverfall started in the OEW game and that this game's title of Shadow of Love will end an important plot that was born in the OEW...and will end in LoF. That is the only connection between this game and that one. And not all other plots and ideas came directly from LoF either. Much like The Dead Wind and Cyril Darkcloud and Tao come from the Tavern by the Creek...they started there but they have been residing here, playing out their plot within LoF...and will continue to do so from what I am to understand from conversations we have had. Tavern by the Creek will be as much of an important issue in LoF as OEW has been an impotant issue in LoF.

No, OEW is not the most important reference, but it is important...as much so as any other plot that has borrowed from other games in this forum inlcuding Cyril's and Tao's.

Point 2: Reference to Mapping...

Sever comes from someplace and I will attempt to map that place for him just for a single point of reference that may even show up in the future of the game. I already have two ideas where to place a city that he can call his homeland. I just need him to tell me about what the attitude of the city is like and how big it really is. Maybe he's never seen Amn before, so he'd think his was the "big" city. I'll work with him on that so as to get us a future city built for reasons that I will discuss later. I want the city he is from placed in a concrete area that I can understand and see, and that is why I need him to do as I asked.

[ 05-25-2006, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 05-26-2006, 12:47 AM   #204
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Larry - It sounds good. I'll see what i can come up with.

*Edit: I posted that after reading Larry's response to my question on page 8. After reading the subsequent posts, i think i have a fair bit more reading to do. "Big City" remains as such for a little while longer - i'm gonna need some time for this..

[ 05-26-2006, 12:58 AM: Message edited by: Sever ]
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Old 05-26-2006, 01:09 AM   #205
Cyril Darkcloud
Lord Soth

OK Larry - things in the guest wing should be set up for you to run with.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:45 PM   #206
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I hope that was what you had in mind.

Congrats everyone! We are now on Chapter II !
Old 05-28-2006, 07:17 AM   #207
Sever

Lol ZFR, the dream sequence in your last post was very good. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Chapter 2, here we come!
Old 06-03-2006, 01:15 AM   #208
Sever

"Big City"

A powerful city-state located on a coastal region of the "forum" (!?). "Big City" has a dominant naval presence in the seas and an extensive merchant fleet that provides it wealth and proseperity. Big City is a very multi-racial city blending a diverse range of customs and religions into a thriving melting pot of commerce. Whilst not actually part of the region of Amn, Big City can be considered to have aspects of culture derived from the FR setting of Amn. Major factions in Amn maintain a small presence in Big City alongside factions from various other distant and unnamed regions.

The closest comparison to a real world city being the ancient city of Carthage.

Geographically, the city is dominated by its massive, fortified port district. Sprawling out from the port lie the market, slum and industrial districts. Cresting the hills of the city lie the fortified Noble and Government districts. Each district shares the same blend of racial influences with no one race holding sway over government, military, navy or commerce.

Whilst Amn (and any other cities of the world) may be considered the powers-that-be on land, Big City is THE power on the waters.

I'm still having trouble coming up with a name for Big City. Suggestions are welcomed. [img]smile.gif[/img] As are questions and criticisms on what i have so far.

*Edit: Big City may not be as large or as populated as Amn, but in terms of its cultural diversity, it's certainly the broadest. This is what Sever refers to when he says "big".

[ 06-03-2006, 01:19 AM: Message edited by: Sever ]
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Old 06-03-2006, 09:42 AM   #209
Cyril Darkcloud
Lord Soth

The basic idea looks good, Sever, and it has a several intriguing dimensions to it. But there are a couple things we'll need to take another look at.

The following line is definitely problematic if by 'world' you mean the entire setting of the LOF games.

Quote:

Whilst Amn (and any other cities of the world) may be considered the powers-that-be on land, Big City is THE power on the waters.
One of my DMing jobs is trying to make sure we maintain the continuity and integrity of the overall story - let me kick a few possible emendations to this around with Larry and we can probably come up with something that takes what you have here and fits it into things pretty well.

[ 06-03-2006, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: Cyril Darkcloud ]
Old 06-03-2006, 10:51 AM   #210
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Game clarification coming soon.

Thanks for the suggestions, Sever. It was even more extensive than I had asked for, and although I need to change some things, I will use your work as much as I can within the game's limits.