Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2004, 05:13 AM   #1
whick3
Dungeon Master

it seems there is tons of stuff to read about the different characters, what type of build, what weapons to use on them, tips, and a few tricks, but it takes along time to find them all.. so my question is

WHY IS THERE NOT A THREAD FOR EACH CLASS

everyone could put their thoughts and advice,on how to build, and offer their advice, the person looking for help on say the monk, would go to the monk thread, and see a ton of info, and then pick the best build that person wants to use.

just an idea.. I would do it now, but I don't know too much about some classes.

Takecare and good gaming
whick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 06:17 AM   #2
killerTeddy
Dungeon Master

Well, i think there is no such thing as the "optimal" monk, for example. I think most people here write from their own perspective, they need advice for their current game and party.
But i think you're right, it would be worth the effort to write threads and posts in a way they can be easily re-used. on the other hand, maybe it's not that much use to have a monk-thread, cause he can play so many different roles! (psionic with improved fighting abilities, assassin for critical hits, carrier for stuff, ...) Obviously he would be developed very different for each role!
killerTeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 06:29 AM   #3
whick3
Dungeon Master

right, but the thread of say the monk, would have many ideas and game plans were the player looking for advice then could pick what he likes best, also a good way try new things and see if they work, like your psionic with improved fighting, heh
Old 07-12-2004, 08:05 AM   #4
Nightwing
Baaz Draconian

Try Flamestryke.com there is a wealth of wizardry info there.
Old 07-13-2004, 01:19 AM   #5
Dedzy
The Magister

Hiya whick3,
Usually an 'optimal' class of character is dependant upon what other characters you have in your party. For example, if you placed a monk in a trio with a bishop and monk, you'd want him/her to do less psionics than if it were a monk/lord/ranger trio.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:35 AM   #6
Gadgeteer Tom
Dungeon Master

As Dedzy said, threads about individual classes would be difficult because it makes such a difference how the rest of the party is composed. And even that changes as the game progresses (for example, as Bard gets new instruments while a Madge might get more spells - and Gadgeteer stuff varies in value (once my monk can cast Lure spell, I could just sell the lava lamp). Also how ability is developed makes remarkable difference... I used to increase several attributes at once to 'even' them out - but found that some specific attributes lead to much faster development (like dexterity and senses for my Bard, who I use for Music and Pickpocket, these will soon both be to 100 - then I'll bump STR and Speed, my Gadgeteer has 34 poins in 'Reflection' because her dexterity hit 100 3 levels ago...).
What I did is to right-click on what I wanted to develop (like Critical Hit for Samuari), noted the attributes that affect that skill - and 'leaned' on JUST those till they get to 100, right now my guys are at Lvl 13 and just getting to 100's on some attributes - they develop differently based on how they're used also (for example, my Samuari is being developed for Critical Strike - her magic stinks - but she's deadly with critical hits from the tripleshot crossbow. The other thing I paid some extra attention to is giving characters dual weapons from the start (eg; if I had 12 feather darts - put 6 in each hand [primary/secondary]).
In this game everything can change based on everything else - and develolopment is fastest when it's "narrow" (eg; my Bard has 0 lock-pick skill, that's the Gadgeteer's job and she has over 75 in lock-pick (and engineering) already.
Notice that I have Female Samuri, Bard, and Engineer - I also have 3 lockets that enhance stamina that can only be used by females (and the Samauri needs stamina for that tripleshot crossbow, epsecially when Haste in used).
Old 07-21-2004, 08:46 AM   #7
Gadgeteer Tom
Dungeon Master

BTW, in the guarded room in the T'Rang part of Marten's bluff is a really powerful "Mindblast Rod" that a Monk would enjoy, despite poor initiative (11-20 damage, 75% stamina drain, plus %'s critical and KO, also can be 'used' for Nuclear Blast and adds +15 to Polearm)

S
p
o
i
l
e
r
To get in I stumbled onto some nasty spiders, moved combat to where the Guards are - they ran away - then I had to solve the combination (3 digits, then press 'door open' - wrong guess causes paralyze gas to release - after Finally figuring out the combination... walked in, grabbed item, and left with horde of T'Rang following me all the way to Z'Ant - I had to run and run to avoid killing them since I needed a letter from Z'Ant yet... ended up re-loading to the spider battle again, using the combination that I'd already learned, then - before opening the door - selecting combat, hit the 'door open', combat run in and out in one 'fight cycle', closing the door which ended combat, then the Guards hissed at me to leave the area, which I did happily.
In my party only the monk can use it, but it is devastating - especially on paralyzed opponents while using Haste (up to 2 hits with up to 40 damage each and combined critical hit % from Monk's % plus weapon % - Wow !)
Old 07-21-2004, 01:16 PM   #8
whick3
Dungeon Master

true , depending on tha party, that has alot to do about it, but i'm saying start a a character thread and have the different builds, and if someone wants to comment on how they build there "monk or whatever" then great, its just another build people can choice from, the reason for this is, all the "whats the best weapon, what stats to use, how should i play this character" questions,
I think i'll start with a monk thread, i really enjoy the monk, and today i don't have much to do, so i'll give it a shot