Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2004, 03:50 PM   #1
Gadgeteer Tom
Dungeon Master

It appears that as Doom 3 is out, posts here are diminishing...

I saw some screen shots from Doom 3, sure they're realistic (and often gory) - but where's the sense of humor ? And, it appears - a single plot line (I don't imagine there are many 'sub-plots / quests).

I'm gonna keep playing Wiz 8 till I:

- get Sax's Sax (tried letting him die while recruited, but apparently I need to 'fire' him just before a battle where he dies or possibly kill him ourselves ?)...

- Restrain myself from killing Croc before getting the Idol ("Theiven' Spider Lovers")

- Play all 3 'Easter Egg Mazes'

- Remember to 'screen print' all maps once marked (like in Swamp:"to Trynton", etc.)

- Actually confront all of the 'baddies' in the Northern Wilderness Temple on top of the hill (rather than run, grab, and run for our lives - fighting only those that kept chasing us)

- Getting RFS81 to Level 30 (he's a real powerhouse at Level 16 !)

- Perhaps actually pay the Ratzuka blackmail - THEN kill them...

- Kill all of the Rapax, (keep checking the castle and camp for stragglers)

- You guys that were Wiz 8 players get done and bored with Doom 3 and return to the best RPG with depth, diversity, and humor (where else can you be killed by Rank Weeds or some very cute naked sprites - or seduced by the horny Al-Sedexus to get along with the other Templars and Rapax ?). With all of the photo-ready gore in Doom 3, I really appreciate watching He-Li (or Vi) breathe...

Just thought that a thread was needed to discuss this, for anyone still thinking about postponing their Doom 3 experience in favor of Wiz 8.
Delighted to share this forum with Wiz 8 fans !!

But if you're about to go 'do the Doom', as He-Li says: "We'll see you when you get back !", or if you favor a Rapax greeting: "Until you return then".
Old 08-03-2004, 04:51 PM   #2
Scatter
Symbol of Cyric

S
A
X
O
P
H
O
N
E
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
Open Saxx' inventory page while he's in the party. Take the sax and right-click it onto any PC portrait while still in Saxx' page. Give Saxx something from the party pile and take it back again. Dismiss Saxx. You now have a Sax. Want another? PP or kill Saxx while he's not in the party. It's a random drop if you kill him, so you might have to reload a few times.
Scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 09:12 AM   #3
SteelBow
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I picked up Doom 3. It's an amazing frag-fest game. Good for taking out your frustrations in short frenzied bursts.

I still fire up Wiz8 every day. They're totally different games though and, for me anyway, have their own unique appeal.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:12 AM   #4
Target
Red Dragon

I remember the original Doom, that was a fun game. Not going to get D3 just yet...Had to unplug my computer 2 weeks ago, so no Wiz8 since then....I'm starting to shake now!!
I want to play!!

If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 10:49 PM   #5
popeye
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I agree, Wiz 8 is a great game. Last Wiz game I played was Bane of Cosmic Forge and Wiz 8 is so much more advanced I am having a lot of trouble.
Question:How do you mark map and print screen?
I'm not much of a computer or RPG whiz. Thanks!
popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 01:11 AM   #6
Scatter
Symbol of Cyric

Print Screen key on the keyboard prints the screen. Marking the map is done in the map, there's a quill you can pick up and touch where you want to type.

[ 08-05-2004, 01:12 AM: Message edited by: Scatter ]
Scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 03:48 PM   #7
Gadgeteer Tom
Dungeon Master

popeye, for me the hard part about marking maps is to click on the X (or 'No') when asked if you want to enter.... , then click the map (because we must be standing right at the exit from where we were to where we're going), on the top right are several icons, including the quills the one on the left is to write and the one on the center is to erase - I sometimes get confused and fail to hit 'Enter' after done writing (cursor acts weird till one indicates writing is complete).

Interesting note - I heard from a guy who has completed Doom 3 (already)...I do not think that anyone could really complete Wiz 8 in a day or two, most of the fun in Wiz 8 is developing the characters and locating cool stuff (although I always have sold the Cane Corpus, after that I'm not ever wanting for gold...

Thanks for that spoiler, scatter, in this game Sax died about 5 levels ago, although I might just try it to see it work - the real interesting thing is that after trying to heist it repeatedly, it's background turned red while Sax still had it. Tried pickpocket (forever reloading), swap for Poet's Lute, taking from im when he was dead - perhaps I'll just pop into the Umpani Bar and Grille and see if Sax might have returned even though I dumped his carcass...and if so if I can recruit him again (perhaps give him one of my blue marbles, since I have two and cannot drop either one).

My Alch/Ranger now has Portal (my Madge's portal is the T'Rangporter, which I hesitate to change) - once I get it set up in the Rapax Transporter to Ascension Peak - I'll go find the other two 'easter egg' dungeons (never yet did them, but I feel like my characters are ready now).

I'd almost get cocky and try to kill Tiny, except that he's a great ally - especially with some Haste applied !
Old 08-05-2004, 05:50 PM   #8
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

You kill Saxx indirectly by hiring him then dismissing him just before a battle. He'll fight and you'll run, he'll die and you'll collect! He will be back at the bar later but won't talk to you, but at least you'll feel better about what you did!
Old 08-06-2004, 09:22 PM   #9
Wolfie
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Gadgeteer Tom:
I'll go find the other two 'easter egg' dungeons (never yet did them, but I feel like my characters are ready now).
Actually, there's three dungeons.

All the info is at http://wiz8.web1000.com/RetroMaps.html (or this alternative link).

[img]smile.gif[/img]
Visit [url]\"http://www.foerster.cc/wolfie\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.foerster.cc/wolfie</a> or [url]\"http://wiz8.web1000.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://wiz8.web1000.com</a> (US) for a spreadsheet that allows you to enter in your spellcaster\'s stats, and it will tell you what spells the character can learn, or for spells that they are not yet able to learn, it will tell you how many points they need, or why your character can\'t learn the spell.
Wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 05:06 PM   #10
Gadgeteer Tom
Dungeon Master

Already did the Cemetery dungeon, second time (man - it maps weird !).

Good tip Variol, I'm still going to check to see if he's back in the bar...been having too much fun at Rapax Rift/Castle, finally became a Templar (it DOES make getting into the camp easier...till I kill the King when he catches me trying to pickpocket his key, after all - there are Exp points for releasing the Queen too !). I think I'll hurry to kill Al-Sedexus next - she spawns faster when I take longer (???).

My Madge can do some surprising close combat damage with a flame staff (Fairies can use it !), and the Robes of rejunavation are just what the Bard needed (too bad to waste the SP regeneration, oh well...).

I'd probably better do the two 'other' dungeons before I go scuba-diving (and I want to 'go swimming' before I rescue the two 'lost' scouts to find Mad Marten first.