Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)

Old 07-29-2009, 05:10 PM   #1
Arvon
Unicorn

Default The Color of Magic

Just finished watching this DVD. Yes it is the one with Rincewind. It was very good and followed the book fairly closely. As far as I know you can only see it on DVD. I got mone from Amazon. Give it a try.

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Arvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:02 PM   #2
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Default Re: The Color of Magic

What's the basic idea behind the story?
Old 08-17-2009, 01:26 PM   #3
Arvon
Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood View Post
What's the basic idea behind the story?
Have you ever read any of Terry Pratchetts books? Then you are aware of his Discworld. A world that rides on the back of four elephants, standing on a giant tuttle. This film is on the first two books with the characters like Rincewind, a failed wizard, two Flower, Discworlds first tourist, Cohen the Barbarian, and the Luggage and a whole host of other characters. The film follows the books fairly closely but because of time and cost left out a few things. Oh yes the dialog is colse to the books also. I can recommend this film as a good fantasy and you may want to read the rest of the series. There are three other Discworlc films that I know of: The Wyrd Sisters, The Hog Father, and Soul Music.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:19 AM   #4
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I read one of his books around 14 years ago. I can barely remember it, but I do know I never laughed so much with a book than I did then. I always intended to explore the rest of the Discworld and its novels, but never got around to it. Perhaps I should now. Will give the movie a watch once I am done with the actual book of the same name.

Not sure if you would know, but the novel I read back in the day was about a witch iirc, or possibly a female wizard. She was very funny, and I think she rode around on a broom. That is literally all I can recall, even looked at a list of novels in the hopes it would refresh my memory but no luck on remember the title.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:44 AM   #5
Arvon
Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
I read one of his books around 14 years ago. I can barely remember it, but I do know I never laughed so much with a book than I did then. I always intended to explore the rest of the Discworld and its novels, but never got around to it. Perhaps I should now. Will give the movie a watch once I am done with the actual book of the same name.

Not sure if you would know, but the novel I read back in the day was about a witch iirc, or possibly a female wizard. She was very funny, and I think she rode around on a broom. That is literally all I can recall, even looked at a list of novels in the hopes it would refresh my memory but no luck on remember the title.
I'm guessing you read Witches Abroad. Prechett often wrote two or three books on the same characters, with some continuing characters from most stories.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:17 PM   #6
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

It doesn't ring a bell although it could be, but if I remember right, the name of the book was some kind of play on words. Man, it's annoying me now. It was about a witch but I don't think it was about that particular witch. Maybe she was a hag or something who could do magic.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:19 PM   #7
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Okay I found it, it's called "Equal Rites". God, I remember it fondly now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal_Rites
Old 08-18-2009, 12:57 PM   #8
Arvon
Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
Okay I found it, it's called "Equal Rites". God, I remember it fondly now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal_Rites
Yeah! That's part of the witches trilogy along with Witches Abroad and I forgot the third one. In the series Granny Weatherwax was the lead of the coven.