Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2003, 10:17 PM   #11
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
Let's all thank Gangrell there for his incredibly thorough and intelligent analysis of the article in question [img]tongue.gif[/img] . Especially the bit about light bulbs pssst, the guy was saying that they waste a lot of energy when in use because a large percentage of the energy released is in heat form rather than light form.
This is also the same guy that said we should get rid of manned space flights and he should be slapped [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-26-2003, 07:40 PM   #12
Rokenn
Galvatron

The incandesant light blub is already on the way out. It is slowly being replaced with compact florecents and better still supre bright LED's. The new LED's that are out are brighter, use far less juice and last nearly forever. Many stop signals are now being fitted with these. Also you can buy flash lights with them as well. I just wish they would make something for general use in the home [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-27-2003, 07:27 AM   #13
frudi_x
Drow Warrior

Gangrell, about 5-10% of the lightbulb's power goes into visible light, the rest is more or less infrared, ie. heat. with all the lightbulbs in the world, that's one HUGE waste of energy!
Old 10-27-2003, 01:05 PM   #14
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Yes, but technically it's not a waste of heart. With all that energy that goes into heat rather than giving off light, the lightbulb can actually save you when you're smothered in a blizzard [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-27-2003, 04:35 PM   #15
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Gangrell:
Yes, but technically it's not a waste of heart. With all that energy that goes into heat rather than giving off light, the lightbulb can actually save you when you're smothered in a blizzard [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Yeah who needs radiators anyway? [img]tongue.gif[/img] Gangrell, does this mean that you volunteer to do some field-testing of your lightbulb-based heating system? We'll transport you to Siberia in the middle of January and get you to stand in the blizzard with 100 40W bulbs shining on you, ok? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 10-27-2003, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: Vaskez ]
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 10-27-2003, 05:00 PM   #16
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
quote:
Originally posted by Gangrell:
Yeah who needs radiators anyway? [img]tongue.gif[/img] Gangrell, does this mean that you volunteer to do some field-testing of your lightbulb-based heating system? We'll transport you to Siberia in the middle of January and get you to stand in the blizzard with 100 40W bulbs shining on you, ok? [img]tongue.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]Well, I needed something to do for my science fair project anyway

[ 10-27-2003, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: Gangrell ]
Old 10-27-2003, 08:09 PM   #17
Azimaith
Manshoon

Utterly ridiculous.
1: Nuclear weapons, maybe so, but look at what it did against Japan in WWII. Without nuclear weapons who knows how many more would have died. We killed 70,000 japanese instantaneously, mainly civilians, with the first atomic bomb. 100,000 more would die later of radiation poisoning. In the rape of nanking, over 70 thousand civilians were killed, if you were a woman, raped then killed, if you were a man, used for bayonet practice. Imagine how many more of these that could have gone down had the nuclear bomb not annihilated their will to fight? Ultimately I think more civilians on all sides, including Japanese, were saved by two bombs than they were by not having them. During the fire bombing of tokyo Two hundred and twenty five thousand died in tokyo from two firebomb raids. Thats right! 225,000 people, mainly civilians. Why don't we say "fire should die as a technology because it led to firebombings" People automatically run straight for nuclear weaponry because its very characteristic and well known, many don't know what the hell a firestorm is. The dramatic effect of an entire city anihilated by a single bomb leads to a great deal more fear and terror thereby brining about a swifter surrender.

2: Coal based technology was a stepping stone. We didn't start off by with an intimate knowledge of hydrogen fuel cells nor "clean" power sources. If he means coal should now be stopped I would say hes obviously didn't take it all into account. The U.S. wouldn't just "miss it" it would be plunged into abject chaos as a huge area of our entire country, nay, the world would be plunged into an electricity less environment.

3: Internal combustion engine: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Ahem, We don't have hydrogen fuel cells that work to the level we need yet. Otherwise, internal combustion engines power practically ever single automobile on the planet from the planes that deliver red cross aid to the humvees that carry our troops. Do I really need to go on?

4: Wishful thinking. Though I appreciate the switch thats being made slowly to flourescents remember, incandescent light bulbs gave light to the world. They allowed for activity in the night and indoors in a cost effective, energy efficient way. This means no more whaling for their blubber since he seems so eco-inclined, no more dried auk torches. Its so easy to say "Well sure we'll just make some nifty new object to serve all our need! It glows, it lights, it julians fries!"

5: First off, in the american army, landmines now self-destruct after 48 hours. The real mines that are the problem are the ancient surplus mines that cover the landscape of tons of third world countries. But really, lets face it, we don't live in a perfect world where no one goes to war. So how do you guard an essential area from enemies without moving troops all over? How do you slow a overpowering enemy force too large to fight by atttrition? Land mines kill plenty of soldiers and technology powered by the afformentioned incandescent light bulb, coal powerplants, and internal combustion engine are making them safer for civis every day.

6: Idiotic, the wealth of knowledge that can be gained from space, the ability to learn about the universe, the possible solution to the ever increasing population problem, manned space flight is a very very worthy cause. In case he hadn't noticed, the hubble space telescope was an incredible scientific achievment that led to thousands of discoveries wasn't just set up whole. It was brought up piece by piece and assembled by astronauts who just so happened to get there by MANNED SPACE FLIGHT.

7: Not everyone can be rehabilitated. The desire to be rehabillitated is essential and you can't force that on anyone. If you want I could go into criminal sociopaths and such but I'd rather not waste more time on this idiotic idea.

8: We can't do that. If everyone were perfect maybe we wouldn't feel the need to change our bodies, but lets face it, we aren't. Cosmetic implants for women are a tiny part of it. What about people who have massive lesions in their body from diseases? If you got to the entire field of cosmetic surgery what about people who lose arms? What about people who were badly burned? Maybe he doesn't feel like its worth it, but to look into the face of someone who was convinced they would always look like a monster, someone who was scarred beyond recognition, smile for the first time in ages, its worth it.

9: Certain signs indicate lying that aren't simply replicated by nervousness. They work to a degree.

10: DVD's have all sorts of spiffy things. I love scene selection, its a godsent. Touch the tape inside of a VHS and you get a ruined VHS too. DVD's also will lead to higher capacity discs of all types.

I understand he was trying to be humorous, however, trying seems to be the acting word here.
The Democrats bash the Republicans and the Republicans bash the democrats, now everyones got mud in their eyes and they can\'t see what matters.<br />Check out this site: [url]\"http://www.thehaca.com/about.htm\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.thehaca.com/about.htm</a>
Old 10-28-2003, 01:50 AM   #18
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Well said Azimaith. [img]graemlins/awesomework.gif[/img]

[ 10-28-2003, 02:44 AM: Message edited by: LordKathen ]
Old 10-28-2003, 05:04 AM   #19
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Dear Azimaith, don't hate me for what I have to say:

The Americans dropped the first A-bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki After they had information the Japanese were preparing to surrender. This information wasn't rock-solid, but I think that droping nuclear weapons on people that MIGHT surrender is still genocide. The truth is, the bombs were dropped to prevent Russia from taking over Europe and half of China. It slowed them down for about three to four years and then Russia had it's own arsenal of nuclear weapons. Fear of retaliation was the only thing standing between the US and Russia for the next thirty years. I'm not saying that dropping the A-bomb wasn't uncalled for, but dropping two of them in three days is just showing off. One would've done the trick for both Japan and USSR, but it's easy to be the general after the battle.

[ 10-28-2003, 05:07 AM: Message edited by: Bozos of Bones ]
Old 10-28-2003, 12:14 PM   #20
Rokenn
Galvatron

It seems a few people need to bush up on their reading comprehension here. Bruce Sterling is not saying these technologies/devices should have never been developed. He is saying they are past their usefulness and need to be retired (like the 8 track tape). All these techs played an important part in getting us were we are now, but they have outlived their usefulness and need to be put out to pasture. Getting rid of some (like Prisons) would require a huge sea change in how society deals with the cause but can be done if society chooses to do it.