Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2003, 06:07 PM   #11
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Iron_Ranger:
Hmm, and here I thought you were against generalizing. Yes, of course I know (And I would think most Americans) what happened in Bali a year ago. Although I will admit I didn't know it has already been a year.
So exactly where did I say I was against generalizations and exactly where did I make one Mr Ranger. Any implications and assumptions on the general knowledge level in the US are ones you must be making yourself. I explained that I was surprised my friend didn't know what Bali was about and sought to find out what extent of knowledge was out there. If your intent is to accuse me of anti-US bias then at least try and find some basis in what I said.

OK - enough petty bickering. Thank you for providing me one of the few answers to go on. It would actually surprise me greatly to find that not many Americans know about it seeing as it is a WOT thing. The letter from my friend and the lack of much US response to Aelia's thread had me wondering though.
Old 10-12-2003, 07:23 PM   #12
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
quote:
Hmm, and here I thought you were against generalizing. Yes, of course I know (And I would think most Americans) what happened in Bali a year ago. Although I will admit I didn't know it has already been a year.
So exactly where did I say I was against generalizations and exactly where did I make one Mr Ranger. Any implications and assumptions on the general knowledge level in the US are ones you must be making yourself. I explained that I was surprised my friend didn't know what Bali was about and sought to find out what extent of knowledge was out there. If your intent is to accuse me of anti-US bias then at least try and find some basis in what I said.

OK - enough petty bickering. Thank you for providing me one of the few answers to go on. It would actually surprise me greatly to find that not many Americans know about it seeing as it is a WOT thing. The letter from my friend and the lack of much US response to Aelia's thread had me wondering though.
[/QUOTE] You have said you are against generalzing several times. And maybe you didn't say anything directly, and maybe I am reading into to much, but considering there wasn't much of a response at all to Aelia Jusa and you singled out Americans seems to say something. After all no Englishmen at all have responded.

Oh, I guess I should mention that I used the English for no other reason than next to Americans, I would guess English would be the most populous on the board.

[ 10-12-2003, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: Iron_Ranger ]
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge
Old 10-12-2003, 09:13 PM   #13
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
IR, I don't think Davros meant anything derogatory by his comment. I think it was merely that his friend was American and didn't know anything about Bali, which caused him to wonder about other Americans since he had evidence of one being unaware. I think it's generally more pleasant to assume the best and that people don't have ulterior motives, than to wonder if they do. At the very least I avoid having to defend myself all the time [img]smile.gif[/img] . I also think that bickering over what people might have meant or inferred or who they might have been generalising about isn't really appropriate in this thread.

I have to say I was a little underwhelmed by the responses as well. I'm sure that other countries aren't getting quite the coverage as we are getting, as Bali is very close to Australia and we made up the lion's share of foreign casualties, however this was a world event and I would have expected that it would have mentioned at least a bit. For example I heard on the radio the other day about British anger over the shabby way the government has treated the victims and their families since the bombing. Still, caring and acknowledging these things isn't only achieved by posting on a thread on a gaming board [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2003, 09:24 PM   #14
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
It was in the news here, i just didn't know what to add to this whole thing. It's sad enough as it is.
Old 10-12-2003, 09:41 PM   #15
antryg
Fzoul Chembryl

Sorry I haven't posted sooner but I haven't been around much lately. At least in Dallas, the tragedy did get a lot of coverage. Americans, as a generic whole, do not understand any rational of terrorist activity. When it occurs the reaction is horror at the event, sympathy for the victims, and a hatred of the terrorists and whatever their cause happens to be. That this is the one year anniversary has not been covered. Crassly, that is because it is "yesterday's news" and the media has moved on. Unless there is an overriding local impact to the event, then insular American media won't remember or cover the event. That doesn't mean that Americans dont care or share the pain of the victims. It is more a reflection of our news service than the compassion that is really present in the average person.
Old 10-12-2003, 09:50 PM   #16
Chewbacca
Zartan

200+ lives lost multiplied by surviving loved one's grief and sadness. What words can really fit?

Small consolation that many of those behind this act are reaping swift justice from the all death they have sown.

Aside- The news here has covered it, or rather I am paying attention to many sources of news so maybe it was hard for me miss since I cast a wide net for information.
Old 10-12-2003, 11:00 PM   #17
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:
IR, I don't think Davros meant anything derogatory by his comment. I think it was merely that his friend was American and didn't know anything about Bali, which caused him to wonder about other Americans since he had evidence of one being unaware. I think it's generally more pleasant to assume the best and that people don't have ulterior motives, than to wonder if they do.

I like to think I am realist most of the time, so that kind of disqualifies that. [img]tongue.gif[/img] Your probably right, I was just pointing out certain things.
At the very least I avoid having to defend myself all the time [img]smile.gif[/img] . I also think that bickering over what people might have meant or inferred or who they might have been generalising about isn't really appropriate in this thread.
You know, I was going to add that the discusion in hand did seem unappropriate for the thread, but I figured since it was started might as well see it to the end. [/QUOTE]
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge
Old 10-13-2003, 04:33 AM   #18
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:
IR, I don't think Davros meant anything derogatory by his comment. I think it was merely that his friend was American and didn't know anything about Bali, which caused him to wonder about other Americans since he had evidence of one being unaware.
Precisely so Aelia, and thanks for pointing this out. If the friend had been British or Dutch or whatever then I would have asked the question of those countries. I have to admit to being quite surprised that anyone would not know about it. The question put to me was from someone who had read Aelia's thread and wanted to know what the heck it was all about. That put me to thinking what level of media coverage the event had recieved over there.
Old 10-13-2003, 10:06 AM   #19
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
You have said you are against generalzing several times. And maybe you didn't say anything directly, and maybe I am reading into to much, but considering there wasn't much of a response at all to Aelia Jusa and you singled out Americans seems to say something. After all no Englishmen at all have responded.

Oh, I guess I should mention that I used the English for no other reason than next to Americans, I would guess English would be the most populous on the board.
I can't believe you are using this thread in this way. Give it up or start a new thread!
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show