Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-22-2003, 01:24 AM   #21
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:
Am hoping it's just an urban myth, like using a mobile at petrol stations
I would not be to sure that using mobiles can cause a hazard during refueling is just an urban myth. However Static electricity and explosions at petrol stations is a definite risk so be carefull out there [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 09-22-2003, 01:56 AM   #22
Intrepid
Symbol of Cyric

yeah but even if it were carcinogenic I doubt it would be in strong enough ammounts to do anything. Also it would depend on the type of plastic so i guess it's just luck what type of bottle you use.
Old 09-22-2003, 02:05 AM   #23
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

We heard it too (rather, my wife) over here in this part of thw world.

To put it into context, what I think was meant iirc is that repeated washing or scrubbing would do something or other (I really don't remember as I don't bother with this rubbish unless it's printed in Lancet or something) that would make it carcinogenic.

So now my wife is on a water-bottle hunt (ie buy new ones for the kids to bring to school - never mind that there are water coolers installed).

Old 09-22-2003, 02:37 AM   #24
Intrepid
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Hayashi:
We heard it too (rather, my wife) over here in this part of thw world.

To put it into context, what I think was meant iirc is that repeated washing or scrubbing would do something or other (I really don't remember as I don't bother with this rubbish unless it's printed in Lancet or something) that would make it carcinogenic.

So now my wife is on a water-bottle hunt (ie buy new ones for the kids to bring to school - never mind that there are water coolers installed).

how do you scrub the inside of a bottle?
or do they mean if you lick the outside [img]tongue.gif[/img] ?
Old 09-22-2003, 02:44 AM   #25
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by wellard:
quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:
There aren't always taps around though, plus it's convenient to be in a lecture and be able to just have some water in my seat.
Is that to cover up that you have an incontinence problem? [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img]

I just love really obvious humour like that [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
[/QUOTE]Bah. First you put the Skippy tune in my head, now you make fun of my incontinence! I'm too young to need Depend!

Quote:
Originally posted by wellard:
I would not be to sure that using mobiles can cause a hazard during refueling is just an urban myth. However Static electricity and explosions at petrol stations is a definite risk so be carefull out there
There may be a (very very slight) risk of using a mobile while filling your tank, but the 'evidence' that it is dangerous is very much an urban myth - the reported incidents in SA were completely false.
Old 09-22-2003, 03:18 AM   #26
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Quote:
My mum heard on the radio the other day that you're not supposed to reuse bottled water bottles more than a couple of times because they have carcinogens or some other undesirable substance on the inside, which is unsafe. Does anyone know if that's true?
actually, its true, i heard from it before that a chemical in the plastic bottle that if reused for the nth time can be dangerous since the chemical will go to the water your drinking inso goes to your body with some undesirable before. i cant recall the chemical but i remember hearing it sometime ago.

Catch me if you can..
Old 09-22-2003, 03:24 AM   #27
Intrepid
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Harkoliar:
actually, its true, i heard from it before that a chemical in the plastic bottle that if reused for the nth time can be dangerous since the chemical will go to the water your drinking inso goes to your body with some undesirable before. i cant recall the chemical but i remember hearing it sometime ago.
how are they leagally allowed to do this?
Old 09-22-2003, 03:59 AM   #28
wellard
Dracolisk

The question that should also be asked is " What bottle are you going to replace it with?" If the Answer is Aluminium then you could have very serious problems. The link between aluminium and Alzheimer’s disease is a well documented one, though extremely unlikely that there would be a problem from pots and pans, water bottles made from aluminium corrode very easily and the aluminium oxide is readily absorbed into your body. The long term danger of aluminium ingestion for those in the aircraft industry is starting to raise it's head.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 09-22-2003, 07:45 AM   #29
Donut
Jack Burton

Of course it's true!
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show