Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2001, 08:56 PM   #1
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Oh Please Sazerac or any computer geniuses please oh please i pray that you please have a simple answer to my problem.

Well...I have Windows Me...bla bla i know...well i have never had any problem with it thus far.

Anyway i needed to develop some ASP pages and decided to download Personal Web Server just to aid in the development. Well so I downloaded it not anticipating to have any probs. Guess what...big prob. None of the shortcuts on my desktop were working...nothing was. So i restarted.

After the restart my desktop color came up...but thats it...nothing else. Waited waited ok restart again...same thing...nothing. Hit ctrl-alt-delete and the dialog box that comes up is blank...no programs are showing as running.

OK panic button. Restart again, and still nothing. Dammit ive got work to do! So pull out Windows Me system restore discs...throw em in run em (I have never used the system restore before). Well yay after long restore it seems my desktop comes back.

Not so fast. Some programs are are all weird now. I look in 'add remove programs' and it says only the original programs are there to be removed...well i have more than that on there.

Click on my visual basic shortcut and i get a msgBox vbExclamation 'Cannot find DAO350.dll' But hmmm click on Microsoft Visio and that works fine. Throw in Rogue Spear a program that was installed on my computer and it says i must install it!

Hmmm look at my start menu and it seems only some of my Microsoft Office Suite is there...Access is missing completely...So i click on Word and even though it the shortcut is there and its on the start menu i get a msgBox saying that the program must be installed to run it.!!!

Ok well i look at my C:\ drive properties...hey 13 gigs used space! Thats exactly what it was before this tragedy occurred. So the space on the hard drive is being used but wtf!

Oh! Why cant DAO350.dll be found? Where is my Word program? Its installed so wtf, sos Rogue Spear where is it?! Oh i wish i wish i dint download personal web server! Dammit!

Please if anyone can help me before i reformat my drive please i beg of you...if you can help i will be eternally grateful! Oh i gonna go cry!
Old 10-18-2001, 09:00 PM   #2
Neb
Account deleted by Request

It sounds as though your computer is pretty seriously messed up, I fear that a formatting may be the only cure, but try running a scandisk and defragging your disk, and maybe also a virus scan.
Old 10-18-2001, 09:02 PM   #3
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Its not a virus...not worried about that...DeFrag...hell Millenium deFrag freezes my comp last four times i try it!!! ScanDisk well...
Old 10-18-2001, 09:05 PM   #4
Neb

Quote:
Originally posted by Djinn Raffo:
Its not a virus...not worried about that...DeFrag...hell Millenium deFrag freezes my comp last four times i try it!!! ScanDisk well...
If defragging freezes your comp then it's gotta be pretty messed up, maybe bad sectors are to blame? Or a damaged hard drive?

Old 10-18-2001, 09:11 PM   #5
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
If defragging freezes your comp then it's gotta be pretty messed up, maybe bad sectors are to blame? Or a damaged hard drive?

No no lol the Windows me deFrag has some issues... thats not the prob this time! Oh i freaking out!

Old 10-18-2001, 09:13 PM   #6
Neb

Ah well, I'm outta ideas, better wait till one of the real pros wander by.
Old 10-18-2001, 09:13 PM   #7
adam warlock
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

First check all your programs and see if you can remove any programs that you no longer use anymore (be very careful)

Then Alt+Ctrl+delete and end ALL programs EXCEPT EXPLORER! do NOT ever end explorer!
Then ScanDisk
Then Disk Cleanup
And Defrag

and restart the computer

------------------

HEY! get away from my homepage!!
The Host of Sigs
Old 10-18-2001, 09:16 PM   #8
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by adam warlock:
First check all your programs and see if you can remove any programs that you no longer use anymore (be very careful)

Then Alt+Ctrl+delete and end ALL programs EXCEPT EXPLORER! do NOT ever end explorer!
Then ScanDisk
Then Disk Cleanup
And Defrag

and restart the computer

ok i will try this thnx Adam...but if i can remove a program...continue on? (the only programs i can see in 'add/remove' are the ones that originally came with Me...Visio is not on there...and that program is still working...?
Old 10-18-2001, 09:23 PM   #9
adam warlock
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Djinn Raffo:
ok i will try this thnx Adam...but if i can remove a program...continue on? (the only programs i can see in 'add/remove' are the ones that originally came with Me...Visio is not on there...and that program is still working...?
If there's nothing to remove, then I wouldn't recommend it Leave the original programs alone

If all else fails, I would recommend calling a technician
best of luck!

------------------

HEY! get away from my homepage!!
The Host of Sigs
Old 10-18-2001, 10:12 PM   #10
Prime2U
Zhentarim Guard

ehhh.. more than likely the new install of ME has wiped your registry. Hopefully you made a registry backup at some point. If not you're either going to have to edit your registry to put file paths back in for all of your programs or else reformat and reinstall all the programs...AFTER backing up all your data files/