Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2003, 02:25 AM   #1
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Letter

So I've been collecting data lately for my research project, from 1st year psych students who have to participate for like 6% of their grade. They sign up to do the experiment and come along. Only a lot of them put their names down and just don't bother coming at all, and don't email or phone to say they're not coming. This is really frustrating for me because I can only do the experiment for one person at a time, so if they don't come, I'm left twiddling my thumbs for an hour until the next person comes (of course I bring work to do but it's the principle ). Today I went in specially to do one session, which the person didn't bother coming to, and wasted 2 hours of my time travelling to and from uni and sitting around waiting for them to show up .

To top it off on the way home I had to sit and wait at a pedestrian crossing while no one crossed because some delight pressed the button as they walked past with no intention of crossing (saw them do it) [img]graemlins/idontagreeatall.gif[/img] .

Are these people rude disgusting morons who don't care, or do they just live in their own special little world and not realise their actions affect other people? [img]graemlins/1pissed.gif[/img] . I don't know which would be the more palatable option really

Well that was my rant for the day [img]graemlins/blush.gif[/img] . Come vent and show me I'm not the only one getting screwed around, make me feel better
Old 06-04-2003, 04:25 AM   #2
Finn
The Magister

Spot on Aelia!

Like you said, the world is full of people who couldn't be bothered about how their actions/inactions(even meaningless ones like the traffic button incident you mentioned) affect the people around them.

Once I was in a lift(elevator), and this fella felt the urge to press every button for every floor on the control panel. Mind you, the building had about 30 floors and mine was the 27th. This fella got on the lift the same time as me including two other people and he got out at the 6th floor leaving the rest of us to stop at every floor.

I don't know why, but the rest of us just stood in silence. I knew I should've reprimanded [img]graemlins/ticking.gif[/img] the bloke but there wasn't much of a point as he had pressed all the buttons before we realised what he was doing. What else was I going to do? Beat him to a pulp? Gosh, I wish I did though. [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/imtough.gif[/img]

Old 06-04-2003, 04:53 AM   #3
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Arrow

Sorry to hear about your wretched day Aelia. I don't think I have anything that can compare to that.

I do have a guy at work who is becoming increasingly difficult to locate and talk to when I need him. That has been an increasing frustration, so I have arranged a meeting with him tomorrow to discuss ways in which we can expand communication channels.

A also copped the blame for killing a 2 hour HAZOP meeting planned for 24 people - all within the first 10 mins. I got invited along to review the project. As usual you start the the HIGH FLOW case, and I spoke up and said "High flow - how can this thing get high flow - you are taking the line out of the tank and putting it through those 3 pumps - pumps that will only put out 2100 kl/h and the line has to take 2700 - who designed this mess?". End of meeting - then I had to crawl over the mass of pipework with a design engineer to come up with an alternative that worked.

Oh - and my car needs new tyres and I have the wrong model car to get a camber adjustment screw so they have to pull the struts apart and try to change the angle of the wheel of my car. Kiss 500 smackerooneys goodbye [img]tongue.gif[/img] .

Hey - this ranting thing gets easier the more you do it [img]smile.gif[/img] - think I will stop now [img]smile.gif[/img] .