Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-17-2001, 05:05 PM   #11
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
If it's a story, what's the title?

the Romance of the Promising President and His Daring Secretory

???
Old 10-17-2001, 05:07 PM   #12
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Quote:
Originally posted by 250:
the Romance of the Promising President and His Daring Secretory

???
And what's it about?

Old 10-19-2001, 09:27 AM   #13
mitsos

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
Well, personally, I think we're a lot better off both ethically and technologically than we were, say, 2000 years ago.

Somewhere along the way many people finally got the notion that slavery wasn't such a good idea after all and ditched it.

Somewhere along the way many people finally understood that women had the same rights as men did.

Somewhere along the way some people got together in various locations and figured out that having a single ruler wasn't always the best thing, and began having governments where the voice of the people could be heard.

Somewhere along the way a lot of people began to realize that there's far more to a person than the color of his or her skin or the clothes on his or her back.

Somewhere along the way, the life span of the average human being increased thirty or more years, from around 35-40 to around 70 or even 80 now in certain countries. The quality of living is much higher for a large portion of the world's population as well, as compared to where it was 2000 years ago.

I'm not saying we live in a utopia. Far from it. All the ills I mentioned still go on in various areas of the world today. But they're becoming more and more scarce as time goes on.

I think, ironically, that it is our technology that tends to give people a depressive outlook on the world. Nothing really that bad has happened that didn't already exist...we just have far more opportunity to hear about the bad now. And, of course, "bad" makes far better copy than "good." When was the last time the news bureaus reported "good" news as a headline story? It just doesn't sell.

Things are getting better, even if the current situation in the world looks like it's going down. Sometimes a river has to double back on itself to get where it's going....but it does get there.

Not that I disagree with all that, but I don't think that in the past, young people took their guns at school and start shooting their classmates.

Old 10-19-2001, 09:32 AM   #14
Byronas

Quote:
Originally posted by mitsos:
Not that I disagree with all that, but I don't think that in the past, young people took their guns at school and start shooting their classmates.

I agree with you but you must know that Spatan young children were able to kill people from 7 years old!

------------------

Where there are monsters and barbarians there will be Byronas fighting against them.

Old 10-19-2001, 12:02 PM   #15
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
Well, personally, I think we're a lot better off both ethically and technologically than we were, say, 2000 years ago.

Somewhere along the way many people finally got the notion that slavery wasn't such a good idea after all and ditched it.

Somewhere along the way many people finally understood that women had the same rights as men did.

Somewhere along the way some people got together in various locations and figured out that having a single ruler wasn't always the best thing, and began having governments where the voice of the people could be heard.

Somewhere along the way a lot of people began to realize that there's far more to a person than the color of his or her skin or the clothes on his or her back.

Somewhere along the way, the life span of the average human being increased thirty or more years, from around 35-40 to around 70 or even 80 now in certain countries. The quality of living is much higher for a large portion of the world's population as well, as compared to where it was 2000 years ago.

I'm not saying we live in a utopia. Far from it. All the ills I mentioned still go on in various areas of the world today. But they're becoming more and more scarce as time goes on.

I think, ironically, that it is our technology that tends to give people a depressive outlook on the world. Nothing really that bad has happened that didn't already exist...we just have far more opportunity to hear about the bad now. And, of course, "bad" makes far better copy than "good." When was the last time the news bureaus reported "good" news as a headline story? It just doesn't sell.

Things are getting better, even if the current situation in the world looks like it's going down. Sometimes a river has to double back on itself to get where it's going....but it does get there.

Amen Saz!

I think some folks have a misconception about times past. They WERE brutal, you just don't have the kind of historical accountability you have now. People carried guns everyday and used them. Children didn't carry them to school because the average person owned a shotgun or rifle if they had a weapon. People who owned pistols had reason and tended to carry them. Many children also only attended school a few years. Enough to get literate and math smart if you were bright. Bad kids usually didn't bother with school. Many kids were on their own in their early teens if they didn't have a family farm or business to help with.

------------------
Member of ORT
Master Barbsman and weilder of the razor wit!
Official royal toad! Ribbit! Ribbet I say!

The true secret to happiness is not having what you want, it's wanting what you have!
Old 10-19-2001, 12:05 PM   #16
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

I'm just trying to say that Little House on the Prairie was a bit optimistic in it's portrayal of times.

------------------
Member of ORT
Master Barbsman and weilder of the razor wit!
Official royal toad! Ribbit! Ribbet I say!

The true secret to happiness is not having what you want, it's wanting what you have!