Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2007, 10:32 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I had a Panasonic DVD player die today and I looked up some information on the code that was showing and I learned that many people who owned the same DVD player I had also got that same code of death after maybe only a year. I was lucky, it seems, to have gone 7 years without any trouble.

Anyway, I just tell my child that she'll have to watch regular tv until tomorrow, and I turn on a station playing cartoons. After watching a show and realizing that she's not interested in it, she gets up to go play and I turn off the TV, unplug the RCA cable from the DVD player and remove the player from the cabinet.

Tonight, my wife tried to turn on the TV for the first time since I unplugged the DVD player from it, and nothing will play. The TV has a built-in VCR player but that will not play either. I plugged up the DVD player to it again, which is what I had changed since the last time it was functioning and that did not work. I plugged up my video camera to the TV, feeding into the front RCA channels and that would not work either.

Is it just a stupid coincidence that the DVD and TV have died today at the same time or did I kill the TV when I unplugged the RCA cables that were connecting it to the DVD player?

WTF??
Old 06-07-2007, 10:44 PM   #2
Zebodog

My guess, and I'm no TV repairman, is that it's a coincidence. The integrated VCR tips the situation off, as it doesn't (or shouldn't) rely on any external connections, other than power, to play.

When you say it won't play are you referring to nothing but snow and static on the screen?

Personally, it sounds like a great excuse to get that 48" HD Plasma and Home Theatre System. [img]smile.gif[/img]
*Disclaimer: If this thread, or a link within this thread leads you to follow advice that crashes/explodes/burns down or any way damages your system or causes personal stress or hardship, I am in no way responsible for any problems.*
Zebodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 11:38 PM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Its just a blank black screen. If I fast-foward a tape, you can see the horizontal lines scroll, but across a blank screen. The screen has light, as you can obviously tell that something has come on, but no snow, no picture...
Old 06-08-2007, 12:45 AM   #4
sageridder
Drizzt Do'Urden

Did you take your remote and try switching the imput sorce, or mode? For the dvd player did you check panasonic's web site or google firmware for your model to see if they have a firmware fix? It just seems strange to have both die like that. If this has been your setup for many years it would be easy not to rember why you connected it a certain way years later, you might try disconnecting everything and reconnecting like you were setting it up for the first time. If you're using a cable box switching out components can have odd effects, unplug it for 10
mins and plug it back in to reset it.
Trust is indeed a shiny jewel,set in the stone of friendship.And much like any other stone can be use to crush the skulls of those unsuspecting.To clear the path for me to claim my rightful place as master of all I survey.

Play games win prizes completely free. http://teet.net/af/bd395b7216
So far I've won an 8gb ipod nano and an acer inspire netbook
sageridder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 07:58 AM   #5
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

It is probably a coincidence that both failed so close together, but here goes...

1. Do you have cable, satellite, air TV?
2. What kind of TV did you get with the DVD player turned off, the cartoons that your kid was watching?
3. If you have cable/satellite, how did it get to the TV, thru the old DVD player?
4. Can you pick up air channels? You know, free TV that you pick up with 'rabbit ears'?
5. If you can pick up air channels, then the TV isn't TOTALLY dead, but the integrated VCR/DVD circuitry may be bad.

And this brings you back to,,,,time to get that HD TV system!!!!

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:06 AM   #6
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

This TV can pick up air channels without having the cable coaxle screwed into the back. However, that is not working anymore. I have checked different channels and played more than one VHS (integrated VCR) and nothing is working. Without the DVD player even in the mix and with the Cable disconnected, I should still be able to get a couple air channels but I get nothing.

As for upgrading time...I cannot. I was waiting for this old stuff to die one day for that very reason, but I have too many bills to put a TV as priority. I'll have to buy some cheap crap to last me another 2 years before I can get what I really want.
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:14 AM   #7
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

What brand/model of TV is it, maybe we can find a manual online...

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
VulcanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:22 AM   #8
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I forgot to mention, I can get menu options to appear as well as the channel number. However, the only display is a blank lit screen...meaning there is light, but no picture and no sound.

And believe it or not, after seven years I still have the owners manual, and have looked through it but nothing accounts for this.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:15 PM   #9
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:

Is it just a stupid coincidence that the DVD and TV have died today at the same time or did I kill the TV when I unplugged the RCA cables that were connecting it to the DVD player?

WTF??
Had any thunderstorms lately? Maybe both items got fried with a surge.

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
VulcanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 03:48 PM   #10
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

There was some a few days ago...but not the night before all this happened. I also have both on a surge protector, and its not tripped.