Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2001, 07:13 AM   #1
skywalker
Banned User

Pakistan has demanded that Afganistan turn over bin Laden or face a war with them.

Mark
Old 09-16-2001, 07:14 AM   #2
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Interesting!

------------------
Old 09-16-2001, 08:02 AM   #3
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Afghanistan might have to turn him over soon or face destruction, both America and Pakistan seem to be quite interested in them turning over Bin Laden, so if they do not comply, they're going to have a few enemies.

------------------
Worshipper of Tiax.

Wielder of the ancient Lawyer spells.

Member of the HADB clan.

Ally of the Fluffy Queen and the Dreaded Red Fluffy
Old 09-16-2001, 08:10 AM   #4
Sorcerer Alex

Pakistan is in a very difficult situation. If they help America, they face war with Afghanistan and the Taliban. If they rufuse to help the US, they won't get nearly as much money as they get now (Pakistan is very dependent on US for cash). So the government wants to help America so they can keep getting their cash, but the population itself is very much against the US and all it stands for. So what would you do in their shoes? As you can see, it's a difficult situation for them.

Old 09-16-2001, 08:14 AM   #5
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Well, I can see only one solution for them: Help America, if they refuse to help America they will probably be in a lot of trouble and if they help America they will be aided by them if Afghanistan attacks them, of course, if they refuse to help America, the american government should see that they're in quite a lot of trouble if they help them and spare them any economical trouble, but I think it might be seen as though Pakistan is supporting Afghanistan if they refuse to help America.

------------------
Worshipper of Tiax.

Wielder of the ancient Lawyer spells.

Member of the HADB clan.

Ally of the Fluffy Queen and the Dreaded Red Fluffy
Old 09-16-2001, 09:33 AM   #6
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Well, I was just informed that Iran has closed its borders to Afghanistan as well. Maybe, with all this pressure from the combined support of America (ie - NATO stepping in, etc.) - just maybe - they'll give up Bin Laden (at the least) without having to result to force of arms. I pray unceasingly that they will see some reason and won't force the hand of those who think war is the answer. I hope they are aware of what's in store for them if they don't cooperate. I don't want to see anyone (US included) bomb Afghanistan for the sake of a monster. I agree that it will only make things worse. Please let the solidarity across the globe make Afghanistan realize that they have only one sensible option.

------------------
"Allright! We'll call it a draw."

The day we stop learning is the day we start dying!(c)

*Newly abducted - er, inducted - member of the HADB clan. Mage extraordinair. Occasional subjugate to Gwhanos the Fluffy *
Old 09-16-2001, 10:26 AM   #7
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by DragonMage:
Well, I was just informed that Iran has closed its borders to Afghanistan as well.
To take this with a grain of salt, they don't want Afghans pouring over to Iran (the border is 900 miles long). There are already 2m Afghans in Iranian refugee camps and I don't think they can handle any more.

------------------
Old 09-16-2001, 10:45 AM   #8
ScottR
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I agree that the the extradition of Bin Laden would be a symbolic victory to the US and democracy throughout the world I worry that this would be an inadequate end point to any considered response.

I seriously doubt that the removal of this individual would harm the structure, funding or resources of terrorist organisations in the Middle East. I fear a more sustained approach is the only way to bring about a lasting safety.

It is easier for us in the West to have someone to blame in order to bring closure to a grevious episode in US (and International history). The problem, however, is much more deeply rooted than this. The capture of Bin Laden is only the first step on the road.
Old 09-16-2001, 10:58 AM   #9
Wurm
Drizzt Do'Urden

I am just so glad that a reformer is now in power in Iran, Things would be ALOT worse if he wasn't.

Oh how I hope this wont be a war.

------------------
Old 09-16-2001, 12:37 PM   #10
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
To take this with a grain of salt, they don't want Afghans pouring over to Iran (the border is 900 miles long). There are already 2m Afghans in Iranian refugee camps and I don't think they can handle any more.

Oh. OK. Um, guess I'm feeling a little stupid now. I was hoping this was a sign of something good. My bad.

------------------
"Allright! We'll call it a draw."

The day we stop learning is the day we start dying!(c)

*Newly abducted - er, inducted - member of the HADB clan. Mage extraordinair. Occasional subjugate to Gwhanos the Fluffy *