Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)

Old 09-17-2001, 10:57 AM   #1
Dourgan
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Could anyone suggest any other good authors of good books, I really only have read R.A. Salvatore. I really enjoy fantasy, as you all!!!

------------------
"Two Swords are better than one, oh yes".
Dourgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2001, 11:18 AM   #2
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Raymond Feist (Da Master), Tolkien...
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2001, 01:10 PM   #3
DEADMAN
Manshoon

Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time, long series so hope you have a lot of time
DEADMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2001, 06:12 PM   #4
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Robbin Hobbs Assassins Apprentice is utterly outstanding to me and many others. Although one here didnt like it as much as most of us did (thats fine I dont like Shakespear lol, reading styles differ)most loved it. Give book 1 a shot. Its a 3 book series btw
Just as an edit addition I dont mean anything towards the person who didnt like it. I want to really stress that.

[This message has been edited by Lord of Alcohol (edited 09-17-2001).]
Lord of Alcohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2001, 09:05 PM   #5
ScottG
Drow Warrior

Good lord, do you have 3 hours (more importantly do I have the memory or the time)?

make it easier, pick a letter in the alphabet.

BTW, that are a lot of SciFi books that are as good or better than those in Fantasy. I have tried books in other areas (fiction & non-fiction) and they just don't do it for me.
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2001, 09:55 AM   #6
Zbyszek

Roger Zelazny - Amber Serie
Glen Cook - Black Company series - the most realistic fantasy sage (they are bad guys) - they are real, not stupid princes and princesses, good and bad, plain walking, gathering a few guys and saving world from unspeakable fate alone - there is life in these books !!!
YOU SHOULD READ IT

David Brin - two Uprising trilogies - great SF, a lot of strange, horrible, vicious, cunny, greedy, unforgivable (you can say: human) alien races I really recommend it

Zbyszek

[This message has been edited by Zbyszek (edited 09-25-2001).]
Zbyszek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 03:26 PM   #7
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

My all time favorites are Raymond Feist (love the serpentwar saga and the servant of the empire trilogy), Terry Goodkind, Robert Jordan (WoT rocks!), David Eddings (The Belgariad, not the Polgara the sorceres and Belgarath books), and Weiss/Hickman for the Dragonlance Heroes 1 & 2 series.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)

Member of CLAN HADB
MILAMBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 03:39 PM   #8
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

This is a shameless cut/paste from a reply I put together to the same question a few months back - here it is again for what it's worth....

Here's a suggestion - go and borrow / buy a couple of short story anthologies, with contributions by some of the authors mentioned above and others. This will give you a taste of their styles and subjects. If you like a particular author's work then you can follow up.

For what it's worth, below are two of my own recommendations

The Hawk and Fisher Series by Simon R Green

The Master Li Series by Barry Hughart

These two may not be examples of "hardcore" fantasy a la Forgotten Realms, but I found both author's output very enjoyable. If you need to know more about them, an internet search on the author's names should give you enough info.

Happy reading

------------------
Regards

<marquee direction=left scrollamount=7> </marquee>

Mouse

[This message has been edited by Mouse (edited 09-26-2001).]
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2001, 09:01 AM   #9
adam warlock
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Mouse:

Here's a suggestion - go and borrow / buy a couple of short story anthologies, with contributions by some of the authors mentioned above and others. This will give you a taste of their styles and subjects. If you like a particular author's work then you can follow up.

the good examples are:
Realms of the Underdark
Realms of Magic
Realms of Valor
etc.....
adam warlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2001, 09:30 AM   #10
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Hi Mouse,

That's the first time I have seen someone recommend the Master Li series by Barry Hughart. Great to see someone else that likes them - loved the humour in them - can I interest you any shares in a Mustard mine .

Most of my reading has been listed above already - the two things that this forum has introduced me to are Salvatore (Dark Elf trilogy) and Gemmel (the Rigante books) - keep the recommendations flooding in please.

------------------
Davros is offline   Reply With Quote