Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 09-04-2002, 04:32 PM   #1
AndyG
Elminster

I've justed started a ranger, and I'm going the dual wielding and light armor route, with heavy archery as well. I'm a little concerned about my armor class. I'm currently level 7 ranger, level 3 rogue. My AC is 21 at the moment, with +1 studded armor, 4 dexterity bonus, +1 from a cloak, and +2 from Boots of the Sun Soul. When I quaff a potion of Barkskin, it goes up to 24. This is still fairly low. When I get into heavy melees with lots of enemies, particularly undead, I run into trouble. I'm mainly bailed out by Tomi doing massive damage with his sneak attacks. That's why undead are a problem, because they're immune to sneak attacks.

What armor should I be looking for? I see a few +2 leathers, but that's not really an improvement over +1 studded, unless I can bump up my dexterity by several more points. I hope to find Boots of Haste before too long, and that will give me 2 points. What other items are people using to toughen up their rangers? Or do you not worry about AC? With ranged attacks and animal companions, maybe it isn't an issue? I haven't summoned my animal companion yet. I took the hawk, so he's not a tank anyway.

I have to say I'm having a blast playing this guy. He's got an Elven Court Bow (from the Helm Hold Guardian). and Tomi and I stand shoulder to shoulder and mow enemies down from a distance. As they get closer, I switch to swords and go at it hand to hand. The Beggars Nest was really neat. With the slow moving zombies, we just stood back and shot them down. It would have been even easier, but Tomi won't move once he starts fighting, so I couldn't keep backing up to avoid melee range. I find this much more exciting than my straight forward melee fighter, and even my monk (I hate to admit it...).

Thanks for the suggestions.
AndyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 09:17 PM   #2
koz-ivan
Manshoon

how you deal with the problem is largely up to you, if you are in an area where you are taking heavy damage there are ways around that.

a - parry skill w/ dual wielding you have more attacks - use them to your advantatage.

b - nowhere is it written that you have to dual wield, in some sections you may be better off w/ heavier (medium) armour + a shield.

c - you can find items that give you damage resistance (or spells that do likewise)

d - that's what healing potions are for.

e - increase your dex w/ spells, potions, items.

f - use protection items that add to your ac but be careful to get ones that stack.
koz-ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 05:36 PM   #3
Hesperex

well just remember ...every +1 counts [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 09-05-2002, 05:36 PM: Message edited by: Hesperex ]
Old 09-05-2002, 07:24 PM   #4
AndyG
Elminster

I found some Shadow Legion armor that is +4 leather, for a total of +6 to AC. I'm doing well overall, but some of the tougher monsters beat me up pretty well. In the Creator Ruins in chapter 2, I had a tough time with the constructs. Those animated armors and the Gray Renders are immune to critical and sneak attacks, and they hit pretty hard. I had to run away from one Gray Render a few times to heal. Other than these types of fights, I'm doing all right. I can take out a fair number of foes from a distance, and the rest go down quickly to my dual swords and sneak attacks. I'm looking forward to getting a Gladiator long sword in Luskan, and seeing what other good items are available there.
Old 09-05-2002, 10:43 PM   #5
Hesperex

you don't have to wait till Luskan to get the Gladiator Blade.
Old 09-05-2002, 10:59 PM   #6
AndyG
Elminster

Please enlighten me Hesperex. I know it's for sale in Luskan. Where can I get the Gladiator sword before that? Or do you just mean in random loot?
Old 09-06-2002, 06:56 PM   #7
Hesperex

no not random loot atall [img]smile.gif[/img]
SPOILER
After you complete Mutanims chalenge in the Green Griffon Inn and you talk to him and he gives you your reward you can then buy equipment off him and he is selling The Blade of The Gladiator amongst other things.

[ 09-06-2002, 06:57 PM: Message edited by: Hesperex ]
Old 09-06-2002, 10:45 PM   #8
AndyG
Elminster

Thanks Hesperex. I never considered buying stuff from him.
Old 09-07-2002, 04:18 PM   #9
DEADMAN
Manshoon

Actually 21 is a good AC, I still tend to think in P&P terms which hinders me at times in this game. I still really haven't figyred out why they can't have inmproved intiative as a feat. Well back to the point. That is acrtually a good Ac but if you want better you can pick up a suit of Shadow legion Armor in chapter 2 which IMHO opinion is the best armot for char who need to stay light. Plus you can also pick up a cloak of fortification which gives a +2Ac and +2 to all saves. Also you can wear a amulet that gives a natural ac bonus. You have to remember when combining items that bonuses of the same type dont stack for AC. So you can have a bonus from Armor ,dex, deflection, and natural. And if things really start to get tough parry. If you have a maxed parry skill plus improved parry, it really can be a life saver.
Old 09-08-2002, 02:00 PM   #10
AndyG
Elminster

I didn't take Parry as a skill with this character. I guess that would have been a good idea.

My AC is up to 25 in Luskan. I have the Shadow Legion armor and Tomi's ring (+3 Dex). I'm wearing monk boots with +2 AC, still looking for Boots of Haste. Overall things are going well. I'm starting the host tower. I demolished both of the High Captains with no great difficulty.