Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 08-22-2003, 10:24 PM   #1
Borg
The Magister

I have a party (monk, barb, paladin, cleric(2x)/fighter(x), bard, wizard) that just entered chap 5 and have come to the conclusion that I'd be better off with a fighter than a barbarian. To me, one of the best things about the barbarian is the rage feat, but I've recently found the beauty of the Bull's Strength spell -- that spell last 8 hours (basically about as long as you go before resting) and gives the same or more strength bonus as a barb's rage does. True, rage also gives a CON bonus, but unless you come very close to death AND heal the barb before rage ends, that's not too useful.

So, then you are left with the HP advantage and limited high-lvl damage reduction a barb gets over a fighter. But, a fighter gets so many more feats, can be more specialized in weapons (right?), and is much more flexible.

So, other than for role-playing reasons (which you must admit is limited in IWD2), can anybody justify a Barb over a Fighter?
Borg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 03:23 AM   #2
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Increased hitpoints (provided you select 'max hp per level' you'll get an extra 2 hp every time u level up in barbarian).
Faster movement.
Tireless rage at later levels.
Barbarian-specific magic items.

Barbarians are good man. I don't use them myself due to roleplaying reasons. But they certainly do make a viable alternative to fighters.
Old 08-23-2003, 08:29 AM   #3
J'aran
Mephistopheles

Barbarians are IMO pretty much equal to Fighters. There aren't that many feats which you really can't do without to spend all those extra feat points of a Fighter on.

For a really effective tank, why not go Fighter 4/Barbarian x? You get all the plusses of a Barbarian (extra HP, (Greater/Tireless) Rage, Damage Reduction, fast movement) and you get a few extra feat points and can get Weapon Specialization.
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 08:31 AM   #4
J'aran
Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:
Are there any of those? Can't think of one off the top of my head.
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 08:20 PM   #5
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Barbarians get damage resistance. That alone make them equal to fighters. Their greater tireless rage is pretty cool, too.
Old 08-24-2003, 10:41 AM   #6
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by J'aran:
quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:
Are there any of those? Can't think of one off the top of my head. [/QUOTE]There was one, can't remember what it was called. I havn't played IWD2 in about 8 months. If I recall correctly it was a suit of armour, either leather or chain mail. It was really good and I remember being pissed off because I couldn't use it as I had no barbarians in my party.