Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2001, 11:49 PM   #1
frostg1ant
Dungeon Master

I was curious if someone can clarify a technical issue for me?

I installed the original game and played halfway through the crypt (1st dungeon). Then I applied the unofficial patch from Heuristic Park.

I now am noticing that when I start the game I have options for both the Ishad'Na and Brimloch Roon cities even though I never went to either (as I said I was only halfway through the first dungeon in the game). Is this normal? I don't recall them being there before...

Also, are there any issues with the patch (technical glitches/problems) that I should be aware of?

thanks alot,

frosty
frostg1ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2001, 11:53 PM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Those options are always there, but you can't do anything with them until you get there. They're usefull for reverting/resetting adventures.

Only issues is that it does remove some of the better *ahem* documented features from the game such as the Inn Gold bug trick and the unlimited HP with Toughen Spell trick...but it does cause the game to run a lot smoother and with less crashes for people who are having problems.

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2001, 09:13 AM   #3
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the board, frostg1ant!!!

The patch also makes the dungeons not as dark as they appear without the patch. Many players have been very glad of that!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2001, 11:51 AM   #4
frostg1ant
Dungeon Master

Thank you! Glad to be here!

Do you have to do anything at the command line to get the dungeons to appear lighter? I seem to recall having read that in the readme file. One thing I wish they would have done is made torches more useful. Like when you light a torch it would really brighten the surrounding area...

frostg1ant

Quote:
Originally posted by Wyvern:
Welcome to the board, frostg1ant!!!

The patch also makes the dungeons not as dark as they appear without the patch. Many players have been very glad of that!

Wyv
Old 05-23-2001, 12:41 PM   #5
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Frosty -

Check in the computer options screen in the graphics section - change the gamma to lighten the dungeons!
Later you will get ILLUMINATE which IS a useful light spell!

Have fun!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2001, 12:48 PM   #6
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

The 3rd level Sun spell "Illuminate" is invaluable. Get it ASAP!

I'd check at http://www.heuristicpark.com/ to get the full set of instructions on how to work the patch settings.

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2001, 12:59 PM   #7
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

Once you have the patch installed, edit the desktop icon from which you load the game, so the Target line reads :

C:\{where your W&W directory is}\deep6.exe -LIGHT=16

Light=16 makes it really lighter
Light=8 is average
Light=0 no change

NOTE: if you use these switches, you have to load the game with the desktop icon and not the autorun to see the difference

Here's the actual text from the readme:

For those experiencing DARK DUNGEONS in D3D mode, we have installed a command line parameter which you may add to the command line under properties of the W&W desktop icon: -LIGHT=n where n is a number between 0 and 16. Using the –LIGHT=n option with any number will automatically turn on a new monster brightness feature which makes the monsters much brighter when standing near a light source. The “n” value will increase the overall brightness of the environment, 0 being none and 16 being the most. You may still use the GAMMA control on your CONFIG PAGE to help increase the overall brightness of the game, in addition to the –LIGHT=n option.

Example Command Line: deep6.exe –LIGHT=8

This will increase the overall ambient scene lighting by a increment of 25%. Note that this parameter only works in D3D mode, and is not supported when running in software mode.

Ryanamur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2001, 04:52 PM   #8
frostg1ant
Dungeon Master

Hmmm...This brings up another question. When the game was first released I heard a bunch of people were having lockups, green screen, etc. when running in D3D mode. Have these issues been fixed? I have a V5 5500 and would like to play in D3D with FSAA if it is any better than software mode???

Thanks,

frosty
Old 05-24-2001, 03:26 PM   #9
Glycerine
Manshoon

FSAA on a Voodoo 5 looks great, except it creates very noticable white lines around the character models of your party members. (Not to mention it doesn't improve the interface graphics that much...)

Glycerine
Glycerine is offline   Reply With Quote