Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2001, 11:13 PM   #1
Ithaqua
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I Have noticed that you cannot steal some items from their owners, stuff their probably wearing i.e. Mage robes/Armour. Is there any way of getting it without killing the person and looting them thus loosing the rep bonuses?
How about knocking them unconscious, would that work or do people who you just sent sparko still remain hostile/un-lootable?
Thnx J-P
Ithaqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2001, 10:59 PM   #2
Ithaqua
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Come on guys, is there a way to get items from people without killing them or not?
Old 09-23-2001, 12:33 AM   #3
Ithaqua
Elite Waterdeep Guard

can i take it thet nobody knows the answer to this one then?
Old 09-23-2001, 01:38 AM   #4
Telchar of Nogrod
Drow Warrior

I'm replying because no one else has. I don't normally kill people to get thier stuff. I've noticed that sometimes you loose the rep and sometimes you don't. A real good tactic is to quicksave( press Q ), try and PP and/or kill and if it doesn't work out, either try again or don't bother.
Telchar of Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2001, 08:17 AM   #5
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

YEa, But Its Annoying Cos It Takes A While To LoadIf you want a good theif without cheating, at the start pick the pre-made theif, his stats are through the roof!

------------------

Smoke Me A Kipper, I'll Be Back For Breakfast

The Clan HADB Cleric Of Sephiroth + Jenova
Beaumanoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2001, 05:16 PM   #6
The_ Fur_Cough
Elite Waterdeep Guard

You can't steal things people are wearing without killing them. Pick pocket is exactly as it states, taking small items from pockets effectively. Armour etc can be stolen from shops with a good thief. Dexterity is the most important attribute for a good thief. There are various potions that can boost a thiefs dexterity above its normal limits, there are also specific thief potions available to boost a thiefs skills temporarily. Wearing armour whilst thieving will reduce your success rate and there is always a 1% chance that a thieving attempt will fail regardless of the level of skill of the thief.

Hope it helps.

------------------
Aaahh.... Fur Cough.
The_ Fur_Cough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2001, 05:23 PM   #7
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

The manual says that when you pickpocket, you take what is in their purse, girdle, pockets, etc, meaning that they have to be carrying it in those 16 slots in their Backpack, not in any of their Equipped slots. You can't very well walk up to someone and pickpocket the Splint Mail she's wearing. Now, I have found that this is GENERALLY the case. It is impossible to steal the clothes of anyone's back, but I have filched weapons out of people's hands, and even rings off their fingers. (Man, are these guys asleep or what?) My version does not let me pickpocket Drizzt's scimitars, however.
The weirdest item I've stolen is either when I pickpocketed a 60-pound dead kid off a priestess (how the hell do you not notice that?), or when I managed to steal a guy's scalp while he was still alive. The idiot didn't turn hostile, either. I sure would, wouldn't you?
As for risking your reputation, not all "civilians" lower your rep when you kill them. For the most part, if there's a chance they're going to attack you, rob you, or even cheat you, you can wipe 'em out with impunity. And there are even some perfectly normal folks who you can whack without losing Rep--maybe they're Evil or something.
Always ID quest items before handing them in. Who the hell CARES how much money or EXP you're getting, if you're losing a great item?

P.S.: Pickpocketing at less than 100% is POSSIBLE if you have Algernon's Cloak--though it's still not advisable.
SixOfSpades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2001, 05:26 PM   #8
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Oh yeah, and knocking people unconscious doesn't help: You still can't pickpocket their armor or money & stuff, though you really should be able to.

And Fur_Cough is right, too, especially about that 1% failure rate. It's happened to me, too, but so far only when I pickpocket cops like the Flaming Fist or Amnish Soldiers.
SixOfSpades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2001, 05:29 PM   #9
Ed
Manshoon

Thats not necessarily all true because (I won't spoil the game for you by telling you who....)I once pick picketed a magic cloak of someone who was obviously using it at the time. He gave me a quest , and upon completion he gave me the cloak. But since i had alredy stolen it, I got 2.... hehe

------------------

The REAL Minsc/Boo double act .....

Platinum Fighter of ALSB
Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2001, 05:39 PM   #10
Ithaqua
Elite Waterdeep Guard

yea i tried the unconcious thing and it didnt work. Next time round im gona play an evil char and i'll be a little more carefull what i hand back