Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2006, 08:06 PM   #1
shadowhound
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I am a fan of old horror movies but it seems as though someone bought the rights to a bunch of classics and decided to slaughter them.

Off the top of my head:

When A Stranger calls:
The original Stranger was made in 1979 and back in the day it was a major twist (wont spoil it), however the 2006 version is one of the worst movies I have had the misfortune of watching. When compared to other great horror movies of the age (Wolf Creek, Saw) it is just not scary.

The Hills Have Eyes:

The original was make in 1977 and has some truely creepy moments. I have yet to see the remake which has been getting good reviews but why cant people come up with new movies as opposed to remaking old ones?

The Omen:

Why remake it? The original was as good as it gets, sure the special effects dont quite stand up to modern films and it took a little bit to get into it but it had excellent acting and needs no improvement. And yet there is currently a remake in production.

So please, any movie makers out there, STOP REMAKING HORROR MOVIES. This is a plea from all classic fans. Thank you [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 03-21-2006, 08:07 PM: Message edited by: shadowhound ]
Old 03-21-2006, 08:34 PM   #2
armageddon272
Symbol of Cyric

While we're on the subject, STOP RE-MAKING OLD B-MOVIES FROM 3 DECADES AGO PERIOD, expecially the crap ones.

i.e. The Stepford Wives.
armageddon272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:40 PM   #3
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

<font color = lightgreen>That is because there are some factors associated with screenwriters and people in the studios in charge of accepting projects: 1) they are too young to remember older movies, 2) they are too stupid to come up with an original idea, and 3) they think we will like what they like.

Some movies cannot and should not be remade--this includes great ones like Casablanca and campy classics you can't dislike such as Plan 9 From Outer Space. [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img] </font>

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 06:53 PM   #4
Rikard T'Aranaxz
Harper

Dawn of the Dead remake was nice, but probably coz they chose a different approach for it other then just trying to copy the old DotD

[ 03-26-2006, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: Rikard T'Aranaxz ]
Old 03-29-2006, 02:53 AM   #5
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

personally i don't think ANY movie should be remade, not just horror flicks, unless there is some awesome script made into a crappy movie that was overlooked by mainstream society that didn't get a chance because of a low budget or poor directing or something else, but movies that people already know of should not be remade because the originals are obviously pretty good to be able to come into some notoriety. Nor should great movies be improved upon (ahem original star wars trilogy) nuff said
Old 03-29-2006, 02:58 AM   #6
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

Why do horror films get remade?

Because the demographic that involves my age group (15-19 year olds) seem to think that any movie made before roughly 5 years ago is unviewable, and that massive special effects are required to make anyone remotely believe a movie. Also, they are willing to shill out vast sums of money to see movies that they have to know are going to be crap. I mean, they have to know they're wasting their money...right? [img]graemlins/uhoh1.gif[/img]
True_Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 05:30 PM   #7
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

Quote:
Originally posted by Rikard T'Aranaxz:
Dawn of the Dead remake was nice, but probably coz they chose a different approach for it other then just trying to copy the old DotD
<font color = lightgreen>Dawn of the Dead is different, because it isn't so much a movie as it is a social commentary. As such, it needs to be remade every 10 to 15 years as societal modes change.

Recall the original version from 1964. A black man slaps a white woman. [img]graemlins/saywhat.gif[/img] A young child attacks, kills, and begins to eat her parents. [img]graemlins/saywhat.gif[/img] Those were really pushing the envelope of acceptability in that day.
The remake from 2004 was all-right, but didn't push the boundaries as much as I would have liked. They should have shown the baby being shot, not just hinted at it. However, I like the fact that zombies aren't lumbering stalkers anymore, but agile and fast. They're more dangerous that way.</font>

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 12:07 PM   #8
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Azred:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Rikard T'Aranaxz:
<font color = lightgreen>Dawn of the Dead is different, because it isn't so much a movie as it is a social commentary. As such, it needs to be remade every 10 to 15 years as societal modes change.

Recall the original version from 1964. A black man slaps a white woman. [img]graemlins/saywhat.gif[/img] A young child attacks, kills, and begins to eat her parents. [img]graemlins/saywhat.gif[/img] Those were really pushing the envelope of acceptability in that day.
The remake from 2004 was all-right, but didn't push the boundaries as much as I would have liked. They should have shown the baby being shot, not just hinted at it. However, I like the fact that zombies aren't lumbering stalkers anymore, but agile and fast. They're more dangerous that way.</font>
</font>[/QUOTE]Actually that was Night of the Living Dead, which was remade, in color with Jamie Lee Curtis as Barbara IIRC, not as good as the original, but you're thinking of the original dawn of the dead, which is substantially different from the 2004 remake.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:33 AM   #9
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by True_Moose:

Because the demographic that involves my age group (15-19 year olds) seem to think that any movie made before roughly 5 years ago is unviewable, and that massive special effects are required to make anyone remotely believe a movie. Also, they are willing to shill out vast sums of money to see movies that they have to know are going to be crap. I mean, they have to know they're wasting their money...right? [img]graemlins/uhoh1.gif[/img]
I'd actually think it would be the complete opposite. The type of movies that are targeted towards the teenage demographic are based more on the fact that teenagers will see just about anything. Just look at the movies that are playing in theatres (it doesn't matter the genre), and you'll see what I mean. And to be perfectly honest, I don't think these people remaking old movies really give a hoot one way or the other. It's easy money to them. If they cared about the movies they were making, they wouldn't be remaking them.
Nanobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 11:43 AM   #10
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Nanobyte:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by True_Moose:

I'd actually think it would be the complete opposite. The type of movies that are targeted towards the teenage demographic are based more on the fact that teenagers will see just about anything. Just look at the movies that are playing in theatres (it doesn't matter the genre), and you'll see what I mean. And to be perfectly honest, I don't think these people remaking old movies really give a hoot one way or the other. It's easy money to them. If they cared about the movies they were making, they wouldn't be remaking them. </font>[/QUOTE]There is of course the rare exception, such as King Kong, where the director has a tremendous amount of love and respect for the original and wants to bring it back for current audiences to enjoy in a manner that is respectful to the original (as opposed to the 70's remake)