Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 11-28-2001, 05:16 PM   #1
Gabriel Engel
Welcomed New User

Can somebody please tell me how to add new portraits to an existing game. I've downloaded some nice ones but do not know how to get them in to the game. I've tried everything i can think of. help please
Old 11-29-2001, 10:00 AM   #2
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Simple enough .....

Create a new folder called Portraits in your main IWD/HOW directory and simply copy the portraits there.

When you create a new character and are prompted for a character portrait simply hit "CUSTOM" and that will take you to a screen where you can select the portrait you wish to use.

Make sure that you have both a large and small version of each portrait and that they are labelled properly.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2001, 10:38 AM   #3
Elif Godson
Dracolich

Yup just as Foehammer has said, and Welcome to IW. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2001, 02:43 PM   #4
Morgan_Corbesant
Symbol of Cyric

the names cannot be more than seven letters long. it will look somehting similar to this. femthi.L for large and femthi.S for small portraits. also, they have to be a certain size, but in not sure as to what size that is.
Morgan Corbesant, Elven BladeSinger, Captain of the army of the Seldarine<br /><br /> [img]\"http://www.rleeermey.com/images/linkbanners/usmcredwhiteblue.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Protector of Elves<br />Slayer of Orcs<br /><br />ALL YOUR BASE, ARE BELONG TO US!!!<br />I DON\'T FIGHT FOR HONOR, I FIGHT TO WIN!<br />\"One who is a samurai must before all things keep constantly in mind, by day and by night...the fact that he has to die\". <br />-Daidoji Yuzan-<br />16th Century
Morgan_Corbesant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2001, 02:55 PM   #5
Micah Foehammer

A small correction -

The correct format is xxxxxxxL.bmp and xxxxxxxS.bmp - The name for the file (including the descriptive L and S, but excluding the file type ) has to be 8 characters or less

The portrait sizes are different for IWD/HOW and for BG/BG2 - here's the sizes

IWD -
Small = 36W x 58H
Large = 110W x 173H

BG -
Small = 36W x 60H
Large = 110W x 170H

I'm not sure that it matters actually, as I have been able to use portraits interchangeably between IWD and BG without any problem.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Old 11-29-2001, 04:42 PM   #6
Gabriel Engel
Welcomed New User

Thanks for the info gang...that helps however,i'm curious as to whether or not you can alter an existing portrait as well.
Everytime I try to go to the "custom" window that "Micah Foehammer"
referred to...I get nothing. None of the portraits I saved show at all. I am guessing this only works on new characters. Anyway, Thanks again for the help. I do appreciate it and I also appreciate the welcome I received. It's nice to be on-board.
Old 11-29-2001, 07:28 PM   #7
Micah Foehammer

You should be able to alter the portrait for an existing character as well as create a new character using custom portraits. There should be an option at the bottom of the inventory screen that will allow you to go in and alter the characters appearance (clothing color, hair, skin AND to select a new portrait). I don't know WHY its not allowing you to do that. Its never given me any trouble at all.

Email me both the large and small version of one of the portraits you want to use and let me try it out. It might be something simple in the file naming for the portraits.

One last thing; the portraits MUST be in .bmp format, not jpg. Some of the sites that allow you to download only download jpg format pics and those have to be reformatted.

Old 11-29-2001, 07:31 PM   #8
Micah Foehammer

BTW, double check the size of the portrait files. The large one should be 56k and the smaller one should be 7k.