Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-08-2004, 09:28 AM   #11
philip
Galvatron

Version 1 release candidates (rc) were good already. Any program can suck if you run an old version. But while we're at it I'd rather have my screen look like this (fluxbox window manager used):

If you don't want to run gnome or kde which are bloated both choose a lightweight manager which makes it easy to theme and create your own menus for.

Some linuxes are starting to become as easy to use as windows but with a lot more depth. Of course it's not wrong for an OS to have it's own programs but linux programs are cross-platform. Linux doesn't have a register and is easy to configure, you can make it exactly as you want it. you can tell it where to go instead of windows telling you what you can or can't do.

Linux is free, the security policy is implemented better.

Further I second the winXP theme is ugly.

Just remember. Nobody has to use linux it's all about choice. Linux = Choice.

[ 11-08-2004, 09:28 AM: Message edited by: philip ]
Old 11-08-2004, 09:57 AM   #12
dplax
Jack Burton

Sorry to go a bit offtopic here, but that is a cool background picture Philip.

Old 11-08-2004, 10:10 AM   #13
philip
Galvatron

http://themes.freshmeat.net/projects/magick-x/ it's this background but I use another theme on it.
Old 11-08-2004, 11:15 AM   #14
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

First Linux I tried to install was TurboLinux. Version 6, I think... but I've put that memory behind me. The install was painful; I was installing it to a box I'd put together from spare parts, and it wanted me to identify makes and models of all the components. How should I know what frigging video card this has? It's six years old, for pete's sake!

Later, I got a copy of Red Hat 8. The installation was completely different... kicked it off, it asked me a couple of questions, and then told me what the hardware was and asked me to confirm.

Far more user-friendly, for sure. Just as easy as installing XP, and a fraction of the cost. And just like XP, you can administer it right, or you can administer it the way it came out of the box.

Only challenge I had was in setting up Samba, which worked for the file systems but not for the printers. And I don't need it for a print server any more anyway [img]smile.gif[/img]

Am I biased one way or the other? No. I need to work on both sides. But it's not so clear and simple as one might think.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:44 PM   #15
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

In many ways, most of us are spoiled by M$. GUI, themes, wizards, Plug n Play and etc.

Not all of us are techno wizards who like to install and configure every inch (or centimeter) of the OS. Most of us just like to use an OS which is easy to install and use.

I do agree that XP is kind of bloated, but it is user friendly and stable.

I can manage with DOS, but unix commands is just too complex for me. Why bother with all the hassle when you could have a user friendly OS?

Yeah, XP is full of security holes; not to mention IE 5.x/6.x but convenience does has its price to be paid.

Right now I am using Firefox 0.10.1 and ZoneAlarm Pro, which should secure my PC somewhat. Knowing that I do not have the time nor patience to play around with Linux, this is as "secure" as I can be while maintaining the ease of use.
Old 11-08-2004, 03:12 PM   #16
philip
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Paladin2000:
In many ways, most of us are spoiled by M$. GUI, themes, wizards, Plug n Play and etc.
GUI and themes are easy to get in linux as well if you want. In my experience wizards created more problems than they solved. Plug and play screwed up my IRQs and linux happily solves that by not putting my network and video card on the same IRQ cause it knows that's a not so good combo.

Quote:

Not all of us are techno wizards who like to install and configure every inch (or centimeter) of the OS. Most of us just like to use an OS which is easy to install and use.
Who says linux isn't easy to install? There are a few distro's that are just as good at detecting hardware and stuff as windows. The problem is again that the GUI and wizards sometimes don't do things right. But we knew this already from windows.

Quote:

I do agree that XP is kind of bloated, but it is user friendly and stable.
More stable than winme but well I didn't knew what really stable is till I used linux.

Quote:

I can manage with DOS, but unix commands is just too complex for me. Why bother with all the hassle when you could have a user friendly OS?
Cause you can tell it where to go and not let m$ do that. Don't you hate those messages telling you that something you want can't be done. Or error messages that just aren't useful in figuring out what's going wrong?

Quote:

Yeah, XP is full of security holes; not to mention IE 5.x/6.x but convenience does has its price to be paid.
I once read or heard of an article that told people how much they take from m$. They took a car and compared it to the PC. And things you just wouldn't take if it were in your car you happily use on your PC. BUt well whatever you like.

Quote:

Right now I am using Firefox 0.10.1 and ZoneAlarm Pro, which should secure
my PC somewhat. Knowing that I do not have the time nor patience to play around with Linux, this is as "secure" as I can be while maintaining the ease of use.
Using firefox helps a lot. Only using that solved like all of my spyware problems except one. But well if you just want to use linux it's not as hard as you think anymore with some distro's (I haven't tried those though since I hated the bloatedness and that it looked so much like windows ).
Old 11-08-2004, 06:00 PM   #17
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Who says linux isn't easy to install? There are a few distro's that are just as good at detecting hardware and stuff as windows. The problem is again that the GUI and wizards sometimes don't do things right. But we knew this already from windows.
I do, when you have to re-compile the kernel only a few hours after install,, there has got to be something wrong...
Old 11-08-2004, 07:22 PM   #18
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

I'll disagree with that. Over the last half a year I've installed Mandrake Linux 9.2 at least twenty times and it is a breeze. Compared to windows XP, the installation is about three times as fast, twice as easy, everything is set up and working. I also don't have to spend the half an hour I usually spend in WinXP getting rid of all the cartoons and shutting down services I don't need. Not to mention, I can choose exactly what's installed down to individual files.

The installation experience for me has been one of the best things about Linux. Hivetyrant - try Mandrake's distro - it's widely regarded as being the best for somebody new to Linux and I understand its graphical utilities are almost second-to-none allowing you to avoid the command line more or less completely. (although I'd recommend diving in, you'll never look back )

One of the best features is the fact that your personal files are left completely alone. Windows threatens to delete the contents of My Documents et al if I reinstall over another installation - Linux keeps it all completely separate and even has the desktop set up exactly how I had it before when I first boot it up. Pure class.

EDIT:

Just realised I forgot two of the most important good things about a Linux installation:

1) I don't have to spend a good half hour searching for cds and installing drivers for all my devices and restarting my computer ad nauseum. Linux detects them at setup and they work 'out of the box'.

2) I don't have to spent a good two hours (at least - I have a fast connection!) on the windows update site downloading large service packs and security updates to fix holes that should never have been there. Not to mention more interminable restarts because half of them have to be installed singly.

[ 11-08-2004, 08:05 PM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
Old 11-09-2004, 02:06 AM   #19
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Intrepid:
-i want a GUI
But I don't unless I need it. Linux can satisfy both our desires; Windows can satisfy only yours.
Quote:
-notepad is good for text editing, or Microsoft word.
Notepad? GOOD? Maybe if all your doing is editing some basic config files... oh, wait, Windows forces you to do things Windows' Way... maybe I'm spoiled with Linux letting me do things my way.
Quote:
-what if i don't want to hoset a server?
And what if you do? Just because you don't want to right now, straight away, doesn't mean you will never want to. As the world becomes more and more computer, and especially internet, centric, you will find that anyone who's anyone will host a server.
Quote:
-file management in windows is fine for what i want
Ever done it in Linux? It's far better.
Quote:
-i don't use IRC
Replace IRC with "MSN/ICQ/Email".

Quote:
-why would you even want the command line for web browsing? That doesn't make a lot of sense to me
Consider the following scenarios:
1) A random computer user is having problems with their graphics card. Because of this, they can't load any graphical interface. BUT, they can boot to a command line, and use a console browser to find out how to fix their problem.

2) A blind person is having trouble with grapihcal browsers because their screenreaders can't hook into them properly. This particular screen reader reads exactly what is on the screen, rather than reading the DOM. This leads to problems with images and flash. This person COULD disable these things in the browser, but the computer is also shared by a person who needs those to be displayed for the work they do. So, instead of the jumping through hoops method of turning images on and off (which could be overlooked at any opportunity), the blind person can use the command line, and a console browser: the screenreader will have no problems because graphics don't exist, and as a bonus there will be no need for it to work out what different icons are.

Quote:
-i like the menus, they work don't they?
They work well if you have a mouse. To use them with a keyboard is more than possible, but it is rather clunky.
-why can't you just use the find in windows?
-whoa! Colours! I’m so sorry
-yes but edit is a better name than vim
-no I’ve never seen it, nor do i want to

Quote:
-copy is supposed to copy! I usually copy to make a backup or whatever; i don't want both to change! That’s absolutely stupid
And that is what cp is for. Copying is fullfilled easily by both systems, Linux offers a bit more. There are situations when you will want both to change.

Quote:
-but i don't want to do it in bash! I don't want bash!
Then change to a different shell. Linux lets you do that.

Quote:
-service pack 2 allows you to choose a non default web browser etc
The problem isn't that they're there, or that they're the default. The problem is that they cannot be removed.

Quote:
-those programs sound/look dodgy, I’ve seen gaim and it's completely inferior to msn messenger
You've seen a few screenshots of it. The interface is kindof wierd, but trust me, it is far superior to anything I have ever come across.

Quote:
-POLLUTED by icons??? No i want it to be polluted, i love it polluted, and if I wanted eye candy I’d open a picture, or get a screensaver
On Linux, you can use a Window Manager that makes more use of the desktop than Windows, or you can use one that doesn't have desktop icons at all. I know which I like, you know which you like, and we can both use what we want and be equally productive.

Quote:
-change your background picture then
I know how to, you know how to, does EVERYONE know how to? The way to do it is hardly intuitive: you must first know to right click on an empty part of the desktop (while it is usual to only click on specific UI elements, like icons and the taskbar, rather than the backdrop), go to "Properties", know to click it, then go to Desktop. For you and me, it is extremely easy. For someone else, it may be a huge leap of understanding.

Quote:
-whoa! Default! (sarcastic)
Defaults matter. Many users won't fiddle much with their system, and will leave everything on or close to default. Others will give up on it straight away if they don't like how it does something by default. This is one of the main reasons I never liked MacOS, and why many people initially hated Windows 95A.

Quote:
-how can you even compare win 95 to xp pro?
It's quite easy, realy. But since this is a thread about the pros and cons of Windows XP, we'll leave that discussion for another time.

Quote:
-ohh gosh! Of course i have to use Linux now! Those popup will surly be the end of me. But the first popup is to introduce new users t the system, and you can disable hiding inactive icons
I don't want to disable hiding of inactive icons: I like that feature. If I must use the system tray (which many Windows applications insist of making me do), I don't want it getting poluted.

Quote:
-the registry works doesn't it? and if you're not using a firewall you deserve to get spyware, don't give me that, spyware isn't a problem, just don't download shifty programs and use a good firewall like zonealarm pro.
Sure, it works. Until it breaks. Spyware isn't only caused by downloading "shifty" programs, or visiting bad sites: it is often caused by general internet usage. Especially if you use IE.

Quote:
-well i don't know what else to say, just use a firewall, and you'll be ok, so long as you aren't promiscuous you don't need a virus scanner.
Now, tell me, what firewall will the average user want to be using? Certainly they won't want to be downloading it, or buying it. They'll most likely want to use one that comes with the system... and pre-SP2 the Windows Firewall is more a map to your computer than a way of protecting it. And this is assuming that this user will want to use a firewall, and that they know what one is. Many will not. Linux, on install, lets you choose what level to set it's firewall to, and even recomends what it would be good for. Windows firewall is off by default, and very hard to find. It is not even mentioned in the installer.

Quote:
but hey whatever, i like windows, but I’ve got no objection to you using Linux, it's just beginning to give me a headache whenever you talk about it or something relating to it.
If you didn't want to hear about Linux, why did you post this thread, and then encourage me to reply? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Quote:
Also firefox is close to be being uninstalled and I’m considering going back it internet explorer, and now without multiple monitor support it's verging on the limits of my patience.
Try a newer version. If this bug is still there, then harness the power of Free Software, and report it.

Quote:
don't misunderstand, i typed all that (except the colour bit!) with a smile on my face, i'm not angry or anything, i'm just providing an argument for windows
Ditto that (except the colour bit [img]tongue.gif[/img] ), but switch "Linux" for "Windows" [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Quote:
Orginally posted by HiveTyrant:
Ok, Lennon, explain to me why Microsoft should NOT have its own programs in ITS OWN operating system...
Thats like a company that produces all the possible parts of a car, building the chassis and then not including anything it produces. Also, whats wrong with having windows messanger, Media player, IE and so on, do most people these days have computers so old that they cant handle one more option in their start menu??? Just because they are there doesnt mean they have to use them.
The problem is not that the programs are bundled with Windows. The problem is that they cannot be removed. I don't have a problem with IE being installed with Windows, but I want to be able to remove iexplore.exe if I don't use it. It is more like a car company who makes their car as one single unit, instead of the sum of its parts, preventing you from upgrading the engine, say, without buying a whole new car.

Quote:
I also seem to recall Linux having icons aswell...well that means its also "polluted"
I am seeing now why mozillazine don't like Fedora much. It doesn't show you the Linux Way. It shows you a beaten down method of doing things, copied from Windows, and made even worse. It doesn't let you see the command line unless you're told about it, and it ships only with GNOME and KDE window managers... which are, as you point out, quite ugly and non-intuitive. Which is why I don't use them: on Linux there ARE alternatives.

Quote:
Lastly, anyone who uses the colour scheme of an OS in their argument is obviously stupid, and shouldnt be arguing in the first place
Ever heard the phrase "argue the point, not the person"? It means, simply, don't call me names because of what I argue about. Take my arguments, disect them, and disprove them. Making comments about an opponents intelligance will win you no debates and no respect. It doesn't make you good.

EDIT: On the note of find, it apears that my meaning was misunderstood. I wasn't commenting on the differences between MSDOS and Batch, but rather between Edit and Vim. "No find functionality" means that Edit doesn't have any way to search for a phrase in a currently open document. Every other text editor I have used, including MS Notepad and Vim, has this.

[ 11-09-2004, 04:29 AM: Message edited by: LennonCook ]
Old 11-09-2004, 05:35 AM   #20
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Lennon, you really enjoy trying to look smart dont you.
Im not going to bther arguing with the stuff you said, because most people will realise that you are extremely biased and strange, most of that did not make sense.

You are just digging that hole deeper and deeper.