Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2006, 11:43 AM   #1
Albromor
Mephistopheles

I have seriously looked into getting this game. I went to Amazon.com and a few of their reviewers mentioned that the Gold edition does have Starforce. The thing is I've looked at the list of games that supposedly had this copy protection and no rendition of Gothic or Gothic 2 was listed.

In fact, I couldn't find anything on the net that said it did. Anyone know the real story? Would they have aded Starforce to the Gold edition? It wouldn't make sense especially with the firestorm it created in the gaming community this past year.
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 01:41 PM   #2
Thoran
Galvatron

Starforce isn't a major problem, you can remove it before it's ever allowed to run on your system...

Buy the game, download the crack, install the game but DON'T LET IT REBOOT (starforce needs a reboot to become active), install the crack, remove starforce.
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 06:10 PM   #3
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
I take it we're discussing Gothic 3 here ? Gothic 2 is pretty much old news these days.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:02 PM   #4
Albromor
Mephistopheles

No, we're talking Gothic 2 because I have yet to play it and Amazon.com has the latest Gothic 2: Gold release on a DVD-Rom. The thing is the 2 of the reviewers really like it but say it has Starforce.

The thing is I can't find anywhere where Gothic 2 is listed as one of the games shackled with Starforce.
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 11:20 PM   #5
Lord Gorbag
Elite Waterdeep Guard

What's 'Starforce'?

Is it spyware? I've got Gothic Gold2 on my shelf as well, but now I'm hesitant to install it.

Thanks
Lord Gorbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 07:44 AM   #6
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

It's not Spyware. It's a copy protection scheme, but it install a program in Windows, that program has been known to cause software and hardware problem, and it's a potential vulnerability that could be exploited by hackers.

If you desinstall it the game won't work anymore. If you desinstal the game it doesn't always desinstall Starforce or desinstall it correctly, so you have to use another program to remove it cleanly. They also don't tell you they are installing Starforce on your computer.

It used to be a popular anti piracy solution a year ago, but more and more people are getting pissed so it's not used as much, mostly it's only used by german companies now, they seem to really like it for some reason.

[ 10-23-2006, 07:45 AM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Old 10-23-2006, 08:14 AM   #7
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Prolly Germany because piracy is REALLY bad there from what Some German game companies say..

Yeh, Crack that sucker outta there. Usenet has all the cracks and NO-CD patches you'll need.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:04 AM   #8
Thoran
Galvatron

And for any lurkers... Of course it goes without saying that while I and others here advocate using noCD hacks to get rid of unwanted crap like starforce, only do it to games you've legally purchased.

Pirating is bad... mmmkaaayyy?

Starforce is not spyware... it's a copy protection program that installs a Device Driver as a way of preventing apps like Daemon Tools from mimicking a cdrom (a popular way of pirating software).

There was a raging debate regarding how safe starforce was, and I think rightly so. It installs itself into the storage device driver list and interferes with requests going to OTHER storage drivers. IMO it is highly likely that folks with some non-mainstream drive devices (like raid arrays) will experience potentially catastrophic device errors as a direct result of this crapware. Its a poorly conceived and overly onerous scheme, at best it adds additional overhead to storage device access (increases latency and possibly throughput of your drive subsystem).

And as an added bonus... games using Starforce will likely NEVER be allowed to run on Vista unhacked.

[ 10-23-2006, 09:08 AM: Message edited by: Thoran ]
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote