Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-19-2005, 02:28 AM   #1
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

I have an anger problem.

Anger is defined as a "strong feeling of displeasure or hostility." This, of course, we all likely feel on a daily basis. There probably will never be a day that we are not angry over something, be it large or small. You can almost count on anger as a constant companion through life.

---Or so I used to think. I thought that anger was something perfectly natural that we deal with as human beings. This is, of course, partially true. I have to admit, though, that while I seldom if ever have an angry outburst, and tend to forgive easily the trespasses against me, I have never forgiven myself. I have, for years now, gotten angrier and angrier on the inside, and now find myself in a position that I never would have thought possible---I have realized that I have an anger problem, and that I punish myself mentally (and physically, like the senseless beating of the punching bag earlier tonight).

It cannot be healthy, and it is only harming me...so I choose to fix this. I choose now, and say this amongst a group of peers lest I forget, to let go of this anger.

I will be proud of myself again one day soon.

Is that what you really want to say?
Old 01-19-2005, 03:01 AM   #2
Sigmar
Unicorn

I'm angry nearly all the time.

I guess it's a question of how you cope with it.

I channel my rage through training (i.e. rowing/weights). Listening to music usually helps too.

Good luck Ilander.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:08 AM   #3
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

you sound like you need the guy in the movie called "anger management" .

seriously though, it is good to talk about it. remove it inside yourself. makes you feel awhole lot better thats for sure [img]smile.gif[/img]

Catch me if you can..
Old 01-19-2005, 03:19 AM   #4
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Whatever you do, don't say "Serentiy now."

[ 01-19-2005, 03:19 AM: Message edited by: Illumina Drathiran'ar ]

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:15 AM   #5
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
The philosopher Seneca said that anger often arises in human beings when we have too high an expectation of ourselves for something, whether that be to achieve a certain end or unconscious demands not being adequately recognised or dealt with.

I'm more prone to being grumpy and miserable than angry, but around the wrong company for too long, I can get a case of the irates very quickly indeed. Seneca's possible interpretation: I expect too much of people.

My only advice to you Ilander would be to find more ways to sublimate pent up energies and to rely on your body in some way, similar to how Sigmar described.
A martial art or some kind of physical and mental discipline could also help.

Best of luck,
Cheers,
Cerebrodragon

[ 01-19-2005, 05:17 AM: Message edited by: CerebroDragon ]
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
Old 01-19-2005, 09:28 AM   #6
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

Well, as far as the physical training goes...I kind of have started that, too. Having a weight room on the ground floor of my hall kind of makes that pretty easily done. I'm glad I posted this here, though, because now I have accountibility...of sorts, at least. Plus I get some good, sensible advice and interpretation.

Now, about that latter part---the morality of anger.

Really, I don't think that anger should have much of a permanent role in anyone's thoughts. Anger is used as a tool occaisionally, and it can help one succeed some of the time. I don't really want to criticize its use once in a while---but anger on a daily basis seems wrong to me.

I am curious about the rest of you, and your opinions of whether it is good or bad to be angry, and under what circumstances it crosses the line.

Is that what you really want to say?
Old 01-19-2005, 11:29 AM   #7
Absynthe

Quote:
Originally posted by Illumina Drathiran'ar:
Whatever you do, don't say "Serentiy now."
[img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

Ilander, however you approach your feelings, keep in mind that feeling anger is part of being alive. The only way to completely remove anger from your life is via a frontal lobotomy, which has other side effects...

Old 01-19-2005, 02:33 PM   #8
Nightwing
Baaz Draconian

Anger plays a very small part in my life and is getting smaller all the time. I will go months without being angry. It didn't used to be that way. It all changed when I came to the belief that there is one power in the universe and that is a power of good. Everything that happens starts from this power of good. It has helped me see things from a different perspective, when I perceive things my first though is a positive one, and from there it is hard for me to get angry. Although I still get angry, it's just not that often. It just changes how I receive information, and wow, what a difference it has made in my life. I am so much more a peaceful person inside and out.

Good luck in your quest.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:06 PM   #9
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Absynthe:
Ilander, however you approach your feelings, keep in mind that feeling anger is part of being alive. The only way to completely remove anger from your life is via a frontal lobotomy, which has other side effects...
[img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Anger is something you will experience whether you want to or not. On the other hand, it's all up to you as to whether you feel guilty about it and psychologically punish yourself for being human.

Illumina: Yoos is funny....