Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 03-01-2005, 04:41 PM   #1
spydar

I've heard, and experienced, a huge difference in the behaviour of Alliance and Horde players. I've found, and have discussed this with many fellow players, that the Alliance isn't quite as helpful to their fellows at the Horde is. many times I've been next to death while playing my Night Elf druid and no one has helped me, people just run by, let me take all the hits, and leave me to die even when I yell "HELP PLEASE!!!!". whereas when I play my Troll shaman I get help all the time, buffs, heals, even killing what's killing me. also, the banter that I read from the general channel seems much more pleasant, less whiney, or less insulting on the Horde channel as opposed to the Alliance channel.

during many discussions with my boyfriend and all his buddies, we've talked about this extensively (since they pretty much are exclusively Horde players). we wondered why this was. we thought maybe there are more alliance cause people want to gravitate to the "good" side, but mainly because the characters are "pretty". or maybe it's that there may be some age difference/experience difference between those who play Alliance and those who play Horde. the group of guys I talked to figure that the majority of Alliance players are "little punk kids who don't know proper game ettiquette." I have no idea if this is true (and actually would be quite interested to know the age ratios between the two sides), but I must say that (being 21) the Horde side does seem a tad more mature. the only annoying encounters I've ever had with other players have been while playing my Night Elf.

now I don't mean to start an Allaince/Horde shouting match here on the lovely Ironworks, but I would like to know if others have and these same thoughts? whether you agree or disagree I don't care, I just wanna know other people's thoughts on the subject.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:35 PM   #2
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

Hopefully you don't get horde people running about naked doing the macaranna when your having a meeting with a guild [img]tongue.gif[/img]

That is annoying, but very funny.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:49 PM   #3
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

LoL, This isn't directed at you Spy (more so it just reminded me of hearing people in-game), but I find it funny when people talk about a 'horde vs. alliance' shouting match. You'd swear there were 2 different editions of WoW, the horde and the alliance edition. I play horde and alliance so I never really got this 'hating' against a particular side. We're RPing both sides and all have the option to do so once you buy tyhe game so it confuses me.

I have heard this also though, that horde are friendlier from many people. I think it is because there are fewer horde and theres a bigger sense of community as they all need to 'stick together against the scum of the alliance' kinda thing. As far as my own experience, there are less idiots on horde and it's a little more quiet (which I like cuz I'm a bit of a solo loner) but still most of my horde are low level so I'm not toally sure as of yet. Just my 2 copper.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:28 PM   #4
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Well, IMO alot of younger players gravitate towards the alliance (Dwarf and Nightelf), and thus, boom, are jackasses to all.
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 02:11 PM   #5
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

I had one player today, can't remember his name. He asked something on the General Channel, so I replied "Oh to find blah go to blah". Then he suddenly said "Anaril can you lend me 2 silver?" I was like "Sorry, I don't lend out money" and he kept asking everyone on the channel. Very annoying.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:15 PM   #6
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Me and my friends are older than you, and we all play on Alliance.

Many people in my guild are 25+ I think.

There's just way more people playing alliance, so there are way more jerks. I rarely see the same person two time, so I guess there is no sense of commnity, as compared to when I played Horde.

I think on Alliance side, people mostly keep their friendship to their guildmembers.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:14 PM   #7
Lucern
Quintesson

It's odd that there is such a big difference. I've noticed it, but it's hard to say how it's different on other servers. I'm in an RP server, and I witnessed the horrors that was one of the new PVP servers (they opened a new one, so everyone was roughly even since it was brand new). The Horde in that one were 10 x worse than the worst of Alliance dregs spamming Ironforge. I bet the alliance were just as bad.

But in the RP server, I meet a lot of 'serious' roleplayers on both sides. The great folks I meet usually have alternates on the other side. The immature players I meet are almost always on the Alliance side.
Lucern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 06:55 PM   #8
Nerull
Lord Ao

I've noticed the difference as well. Honestly, I really do think it is the population difference between the two sides. There are jerks on both sides, but there are more Alliance, so thus more jerks (just as a matter of percentage), so they are more noticable. However, I've also noticed that quite a few powergamers are drawn to hunters and paladins (especially paladins), and they tend to be the PvPing, rude people that end up harassing others. You get some of those on Horde, too, but once again percentage wise, Alliance will just be more noticable.

Then again, I've played mostly Horde, so I'm a little biased...
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 07:17 PM   #9
Lucern
Quintesson

Now that I think about it, the new PVP servers might be much worse than all the others in terms of the general behavior. People joining them (like myself lol), were rabid to get at other players with a level playing field at best, and at worst to level as quickly as possible and be an unstoppable PK machine. Lots of PVP players enjoy the prospect of engaging in occasional PVP, but don't necessarily live for it.

I just wanted to experience some of it, since I'm usually on Argent Dawn (RP), which only experiences raids - and usually on relatively defenseless areas like Crossroads or Sentinel Hill. The people weren't worth playing with on Frostmane in those first few hours, and I'll probably not go back.
Lucern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 07:58 PM   #10
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:

people mostly keep their friendship to their guildmembers.
Yes, because the general population is full of asses. Honestly, WoW has more beggars, duelists and generally immature people then I've ever seen in an MMORPG, and I blame this on:
A) General Societal Decadence (more on this some other time)
B) "Woot its Warcraft, I want to be a night elf" preteens/teens.
C) Insecure jackasses who want to duel their character to all comers.
Not everyone in WoW is an ass, but honestly, with a population like that, its no surprise that people keep their friendships within their guild.
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote