Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 09-27-2004, 11:00 AM   #1
Jonas Strider
Manshoon

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/...bates.preview/

FYI, the first of three is this Thursday. Let's get ready to rumble! Two men enter, one man lives. HA! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-27-2004, 11:06 AM   #2
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonas Strider:
Two men enter, one man lives. HA! [img]smile.gif[/img]
I'll avoid making remarks about which one of the contestants is comparable to Master Blaster.
Old 09-27-2004, 12:16 PM   #3
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
I might watch it if I thought the candidates would actually directly argue with each other, or actually take stands on issues.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 04:26 PM   #4
Jonas Strider
Manshoon

i think it should be like the british parliament. everyone gets to yell including the audience.
Old 09-27-2004, 04:45 PM   #5
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Is it really a debate? Not from the sounds of the format. It's just the two of them on stage together at the same time.

From the St. Petersburg Times:
Spontaneity isn't in debate script
A Times Editorial
Published September 26, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No reference to a specific individual in the audience. No direct questions to each other. No questions from undecided voters. No movement by candidates outside a predesignated area. And no TV shots of a candidate when he isn't answering a question.

These are just a few of the rules laid down in the 32-page debate agreement governing the schedule of four national debates, three presidential and one vice presidential, that start Thursday evening at the University of Miami in Coral Gables.

The product of intensive negotiations between high-powered representatives of President Bush and challenger John Kerry, the litany of restrictive requirements reads more like a recipe for stilted dialogue and staged confrontation. If there's any way to wring the life out of a verbal debate between two candidates so clearly opposed to each other, this document has found it.

From the manner in which candidates are to enter the stage ("proceed to center stage, shake hands, and proceed directly to their positions behind their podiums"), to the camera angles allowed and the denial of follow-up questions to audience members participating in the second debate, every possibility of spontaneous action or reaction has been restricted.

While we have no desire to see a repeat of Al Gore's famous sighs of derision from the 2000 debates, the current array of rules seems oppressive and detailed to the point of absurdity.

Most polls suggest that these debates will be a huge factor in the final decisions voters will make, just weeks before Election Day. But the rules drafted to govern the events almost guarantee that viewers will see an overly scripted, highly controlled exchange, not the robust, spontaneous debate that could shed light on a close, competitive campaign.
Djinn Raffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 04:59 PM   #6
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Yep, makes you long for a good old Jeb Bartlett v. J.W. Bullworth debate -- now *that* would be good.

I think I'll just not vote this election -- to protest my country's horrible political process. It embarrases even me -- which is saying a lot, because I'm not easily embarrased.
Timber Loftis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 05:38 PM   #7
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

You can always watch monkeys on The Discovery Channel.

[ 09-27-2004, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 07:20 PM   #8
DBear
Drow Warrior

In light of what's going on in Florida, how about canceling the debate and using the proceeds for hurricane relief?
Old 09-27-2004, 07:39 PM   #9
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

My understanding is that there will be a debate, thou it will only involve 1 of the 2 onstage.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 08:09 PM   #10
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Felix The Assassin:
My understanding is that there will be a debate, thou it will only involve 1 of the 2 onstage.
That would have been funny before it was beat to death. Just shows you that Americans have no patience for explanation or footnotes or "maybes." Please paint the world in simple black and white for us because shades of grey waste our precious shopping time and you can't do that much thinking while cramming Big Macs down your throat. Oooooh.... is that a new Justin/Britney article on that magazine?

Among the nations of the world, we are the idiot with ADD. But, we can sure as shit shoot our guns. The USA -- the bad attitude skater punk of the new world order!

[ 09-27-2004, 08:09 PM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]