Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 12-04-2001, 02:55 PM   #1
King Corben
Elite Waterdeep Guard

First and foremost, greetings fellow boarders! And a belated Thank You! to many of you for your unknowing assistance these last few (months?!?) as I have blundered through this impressively enormous game. [bows to; Dundee, Melusine, Whailor, Legolas, Galadria & the many other regs.]

General qualifying info (in case you wanted to know, and I was too lame to mention in the fist place);

I've played IWD thru once or twice and BGII up to Chap 6 (or so).
My current party started MP as a 'core' group of 3 and then I swapped 'em to SP (only for the speed issues)
Drake (me) = Human Berserker 9th/Mage 12th - various wpn prof.
Terriece = Human Ranger 9th/Cleric 10th - flail/mace/ham (tank)
Halk = Human Fighter 9th/Thief 12th - GM short bow/katana
+Aerie
(ok, so I like playing with power "" and versatility)
currently around chapter 2/3? and have all but 2 of the baldurdash patches (stronghold patches omitted for curiosity).
---weird note: my user name was my very first AD&D PnP character way too many years ago - had a flashback moment I guess [img]smile.gif[/img]

Well, as said I have lots of questions but I'll keep it to three for now. I'm sure some have been discussed, but since the search function doesn't seem to be operating... here goes;

Ok, this one's been really bugging me, what value (if any) does infravision have in this game?!? I mean... is it just me... or does it just *not* seem to have a purpose? (aside from making everyone red [img]smile.gif[/img]

possible spoilers ahead...
This question has been posed before, but I have yet to see very specific responses to it (ahem... of course I haven't *read* every single post either... but...)
Does anyone have a 'favorite' stronghold?... *and* ...if so, please explain why, if you would be so kind.

I have only aquired the De'Arnise (sp?) Keep and have enjoyed it for the little domestic problems that come up. The priest you get, (although a blacksmith and a shopkeeper would be even cooler IMHO [img]smile.gif[/img] and being attacked (cool!) - I also have obtained the Sphere. Ok, I give up, are they all destined to die or what? lol - if you don't spoil me I'll just be reloading for the next few weeks, so go ahead.

Ok, last one. I really miss being able to put characters on 'gaurd' (all characters in IWD can) am I missing something? If not, then I am prompted to ask *why* not? Please tell me it wasn't just another arbitrary nerfing for greater "game balance"

Oops, that's four huh? - a bit of Monty counting there? Oh Well, I think I've tormented you all enough for now - I'll have more later (I have a list [img]smile.gif[/img] ) Thank you all again, this time in advance!
King Corben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 03:22 PM   #2
Ragnar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

POSSIBLE SPOILER"""""""""!!!!!!!!!!£££££££££££""""""""""
'''''
'''''
'''''
'''''
'''''
'''''
'''''
'''''

My fav stronghold is D'Arnise because of the little attack by lord roenal
Old 12-04-2001, 03:25 PM   #3
Ragnar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I got IWD and cant be bothred to play it so please spoil me and tell me what happes in the end because im too busy with TOB..............
Old 12-04-2001, 03:26 PM   #4
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

The Thief's Stronghold is currently my favourite, among the Mage/Sorcerer's, Bard's, Ranger's and Paladin's. I have not have had the Fighter's Stronghold yet, so I will reserve comment on that. In order of favourites,

Thief
Bard
Mage/Sorcerer
Ranger
Paladin

The reason why I like the Thief's stronghold, is because you get to micromanage a party of thieves who work under you and pay you a quota every 5 days. In turn, you need to pay Renal Bloodscalp a quota as well. It is like a business, and also, there are containers galore in the Thief's stronghold.

Bards also have a initially complex and fun stronghold. You get to fight, direct, manage and even act in an play. If you did your management correctly, you will earn 2000 Gps a week from your plays.

Regarding the apprentices for the Mage/Sorcerer's Stronghold, tell them to make the easiest items for the first two tests, then tell them not to make anything for their third and final test. This way, they will all survive. Your reward for their survival is that one of them will return to work for you and make 5 random potions for you per week.

Rangers have a log cabin, which is pretty cool if a bit far from Amn. I like the scenery for the Ranger's Stronghold and there are plenty of containers too.

Paladins have a pretty paltry stronghold, but their stronghold quests are some of the more interesting ones if highly combat intensive.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 03:30 PM   #5
Ragnar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Dundee what character kit do u play with i have a paladin (cavalier) and because i got throne of bhaal i got my char up to something like lvl 32 but now im gonna start all over again.........
Old 12-04-2001, 03:46 PM   #6
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Urm... those that have completed SoA? Let me see... ...

Sorcerer, Cavalier, Swashbuckler, Fighter->Cleric, Mage, Necromancer, Archer, Fighter, Fighter->Thief, and Blade.

Those that are still in SoA,

Assassin.

Those that got abandoned,

Wizard Slayer, Berserker, Wild Mage, and Mage/Cleric.

Note that I may have played some classes multiple times( especially Sorcerer).

Land of the Psycho-moe
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 06:46 PM   #7
King Corben
Elite Waterdeep Guard

To Ragnar: Thank you for your input, I am of the same opinion, but... Dundee makes the thieves place sound pretty cool too. As for IWD I'm thinkin' that might be off topic for this board. I just mentioned it cuz it was somewhat related. (It's a mmuuccchhh shorter game tho')
[img]smile.gif[/img] - then again, most games are by comparison IMHO -

To Dundee: Thank you *again* for the informative reply. I was playing a F/T as the PC on one of my earlier games, but after failing to detect an insta-kill trap or three I decided to put him on the shelf. Haven't tried a swashbuckler for a PC yet tho' - I liked 'em - had a half-orc swashbuckler once... thought that might be fun... but...

...anyone have any thoughts on that silly infravision question [img]smile.gif[/img]
King Corben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 07:01 PM   #8
andrewas
Harper

Sure, if you dont have infravision you have a shorter vision range in the dark. dont bother with casting it or anything, since any party worth having will have at least one elf/dwarf/halfling wit infravision. of course, if your soloing youll either need to cast it, put on a item that gives it or put up with the vision range, but its not a massive penalty.

also, it might or might not effect your ocmbat stats. it should, but it dosent say anywhere and i havent done any comparisons. there was a battle that looked like it was going to drag out over the change to daylight, but it ended just before.