Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2005, 06:49 AM   #11
Zink Whistlefly

In NWN, running around with an AC of 60 (yet alone 100) would make you practically invincible to all melee attacks, since even facing an opponent with quite awesome AB's of 45/40/35/30 won't realistically be getting anywhere near you.

AC's higher than that and I fear that the value becomes redundant.

Sure, some boss characters are not going to have a problem hitting you but for probably 95% of the enemies in the game, an AC of 60 is probably overkill.

This is why i think you can pretty much compare the AC systems of BG2 (inversed) and NWN. There are always exceptions (powerful foes) but for the majority of the game, you could run around in BG2 with a -16 AC or something and be generally well protected, likewise in NWN running around with an AC of 36 would mean that you were also generally well protected.

One could argue that the AC system needs to be weighted to take into account the fact that THAC0 stops decreasing at 0 where BAB's continue to rise into the epic levels, but the fact that subsequent attacks in each round take a cumulative -5 penalty more than offsets this I feel.
Zink Whistlefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 07:00 AM   #12
Legolas
Jack Burton

I've only one thing to say to that: EfU's lower levels
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 07:04 AM   #13
Zink Whistlefly

Quote:
Originally posted by Legolas:
Bah! I had a feeling you were going to play that card

I seriously need to start playing EFU...
Zink Whistlefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 09:32 PM   #14
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Quote:
Not if you consider that in NWN, an AC of 60 is not always unrealistical, and 120+ possible too. In BG, -10 is about as good as it gets.
Well, I'm generally down to -15 to -18 AC by the end of ToB, for my main char and around -9 to -12 for my back up tanks.

Anyways, do you have any good item suggestions to buy/look for in SoU/HotU? I finally finished the original, and am starting on them now. Also, should I keep the character I used in the original campaign for SoU, or should I start a new one?
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 09:38 PM   #15
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
And boy do you need it. Though my bard/Palemaster/RDD can get his AC to 113 in EFU. 123 If he wants to sacrifice some of his AB for an extra 10 AC.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:01 PM   #16
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Goulum:
quote:
Not if you consider that in NWN, an AC of 60 is not always unrealistical, and 120+ possible too. In BG, -10 is about as good as it gets.
Well, I'm generally down to -15 to -18 AC by the end of ToB, for my main char and around -9 to -12 for my back up tanks.

Anyways, do you have any good item suggestions to buy/look for in SoU/HotU? I finally finished the original, and am starting on them now. Also, should I keep the character I used in the original campaign for SoU, or should I start a new one?
[/QUOTE]I'd start a new char in SoU, and run that one through Hordes. If not, the first 1/2, if not all of SoU will be much too easy.
Edit: On the question of AC, on the other server I play on, I have several chars with ac's over 100, and one of them is over 125. This is maxed out however, and will not be increasing. It is a high magic world with a crafting system that allows you to add up to 12 points of all types of ac bonus, and those are also maxed out. Just as in the lower lvls of EfU, and some of the not so lower lvls, this char really needs the boost.
To play in NWN's OC's, an ac of around 30 should be ok, but personally, I prefer not getting hit to dmg reduction, so I'm all for boosting ac as much as possible.

[ 05-16-2005, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: robertthebard ]
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 11:05 PM   #17
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Ok, I thought so. I finished the first part with a fighter pretty easily, do you have any suggestions for a different, maybe slightly more difficult class? Just going around and attacking things gets kinda lame after a while, and I never know what class to pick.
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote